Crock Pot Green Chile Enchilada Soup/help please

Guts

[FONT=&quot]What do you folks think is this a typo it 3.5 hours?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I want to try this but I’m having a hard time understanding the instructions that say cook for 3.5 hours. The ingredient say chicken breast cooked and shredded, why would this need to cook for 3 ½ hours? Seems to me all you would need to do would be just bring it up to temperature and maybe simmer for a short time and then go to instruction number 2…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What do you folks think is this a typo it 3.5 hours? I don’t really think that needs to be made in a Crock pot. I’m thinking to do this on stove top.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Crock Pot Green Chile Enchilada Soup[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]4 chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 - 14.5 oz cans chicken broth[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 - 15 oz. cans mild green enchilada sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 - 4 oz. cans diced green chilies[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]⅔ cup water[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1½ TB cumin[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 TB chili powder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 tsp. onion powder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 tsp. garlic powder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]⅔ cup corn (if frozen, thaw out)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]⅔ cup instant rice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 - 8 oz. bar cream cheese (cubed)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]salt and pepper[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Monterrey Jack Cheese[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Instructions[/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]Place chicken broth, enchilada sauce, green chilies, water, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and shredded chicken in crock pot on HIGH. Cook for 3.5 hours.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]After cooking for 3.5 hours add corn, rice and cubed cream cheese. Stir and cook for half hour.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Add salt and pepper to taste and top with Monterrey Jack Cheese. Serves 4-6.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://lilluna.com/crock-pot-green-chile-enchilada-soup/[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Attachments

• crock-pot-green-chile-enchiada-soup-2.jpg
    crock-pot-green-chile-enchiada-soup-2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 134

Leni

3.5 hours does sound like it's way too long especially on high. That would have the soup boiling. I can see it on a barely simmer in order to blend the flavors but not even that long. This looks like one of those recipes that you make the day before so that the flavors have time to meld. Reheat and go to step 2.

Guts

Thank you for the reply Leni

That is what I was thinking too, maybe 3.5 hours if you are putting raw chicken in the recipe. I agree about letting the flavors marri, and then going to step 2

I have everything I need to do this now and will be making it tonight. Again thank you for taking the time to read the post.

Wow I just looked at your post numbers, guess are having fun here. The next time you talk to Marina could you mentioned to her that I can't sign on at let's talk, haven't been able to for years. Maybe as a moderator you might be able to reestablish me in the forum again.

Kim

Leni

I wondered why I hadn't seen you there. I'll email her right away. Since it's Friday they are busy puting the final touches on tomorrows show.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking that it takes a full crockpot a long time to get up to high temp, so that may account for the seemingly long time.

It would be a LOT faster on top of the stove.

Recipe looks good, Guts!

Lee

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Everything I see in the recipe is already cooked or doesn't need to be, except possibly the corn, which takes 8 minutes max.

It seems that3.5 hours would turn the chili's and corn to mush and overcook the rest.

I'd just assemble it on the stovetop. Broth, rice, spices first, then corn, then the rest.

Guts

Thank you Leni, Lee, and bigjim for your suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time to read my post,and giving me your thoughts on this recipe.

I made this last night and was quite pleased with the results. Bottom line yes I will make it again and would recommend it.

Guts

Green Chile enchilada soup

Ingredients
3 to 4 cooked chicken breasts depending on size (shredded or bite-size)
2 - 14.5 ounce cans of chicken broth
1 – 28oz can of green enchilada sauce (Las Palmas) is what I used
1 – 7oz can of Ortega fire roasted chilies
1 - Cup of water/or broth that the chicken was cooked in
1 – TBS cumin
1± – TBS chili powder/I used a mild chili powder for this, I’m not really crazy about chili powder so adjust accordingly to your taste.
1 – tsp onion powder
1 – tsp garlic powder
1 + Cup frozen corn/right from the freezer, do not defrost
1 + Cup instant rice
8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
Shredded jack cheese
Cilantro for garnish / this would be optional

In a large pan combine chicken broth, mild green Chile enchilada sauce, Ortega fire roasted chilies, 1 cup of water or broth, 1 tablespoon of cumin, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. Stir all ingredients together until mixed thoroughly, add chicken, and bring up to temperature. Then add instant rice and simmer for a few minutes, then remove from heat to let the rice cook after 15 or 20 minutes add frozen corn, and wait 15 or 20 minutes before you add the cream cheese, stir the pot until cream cheese is dissolved in soup. I did it this way as to not overcook the corn and not curdle the cream cheese. Serve in bowl and top with Monterey Jack cheese. Cilantro for garnish on top of the soup/or the cheese would make a nice addition, if I had some on hand I would’ve used it, and possibly some in the soup itself that is if you like cilantro. Original recipe calls for salt pepper I did not feel it was necessary at all use your discretion. There seem to be enough salt in the chicken broth, and with the other seasonings I didn’t see the need to add pepper.

Attachments

• enchilada soup 009.jpg
    enchilada soup 009.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 110
  • enchilada soup 005.jpg
    enchilada soup 005.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 109
  • enchilada soup 010.jpg
    enchilada soup 010.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 107
  • enchilada soup 011.jpg
    enchilada soup 011.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Leni

I agree BJ. All this soup really needs is to be heated up and maybe simmered for a short time to blend the flavors.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
That looks easy and delicious, Guts.
Thanks for the recipe and your yummy pictures.