Which work shift do you prefer?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sass Muffin mentioned that she's looking at a permanent position on the second shift.

In my experience, the first shift was 7 am - 3 pm.

Second shift was 3 pm - 11 pm. Third shift was 11 pm - 7 a.m.

(in Polaroid's heyday, we had crazy weekend shifts, too, with significantly higher pay premiums)

While I've worked at least several years on both the second and third shifts, most of my work experience has been working the first shift, or some sort of daylight hours.

The "off shifts" each have some good points to them (the money is good, the "suits" aren't around much, more autonomy) but I prefer the day hours. And weekends off.

What has been your experience and preference?

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Day shift is certainly "The Norm". I wasn't ever fond of Second Shift.
I really liked Third shift.

Now days as self employed, I like a really Early Day Shift (At work about 5:30 - 6:00). Do my major work uninterrupted have coffee with the people I need to and go home before the heavy traffic. Fair warning, I AM a morning person.

Then again, since I do a lot of remote work, I am becoming fond of evenings. No need to commute anywhere, pop on your headphones and work to music. When you get tired, it's only a short commute to bed.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I prefer day shift for sure.

I worked the 4pm to 12am shift and 12am to 8am shift for awhile and with both of them I felt I could not get anything else done on a work day. When getting off work at midnight it took me till 2am to wind down and get to sleep, then sleep till 10am or so. Get up and not much time to get anything done but get ready for the next shift.

Midnight shift was the worst of all. Sleep pastern would not let me get good sleep during the day. I did not care for it at all.

Now, I'm 80% retired and all the day, mid or night shift are out the window. I work for my wife. If she wants it done at 11pm I get to work. ...I am on call 24x7 and never get a day off.. :pat: :yum:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've an appointment with my director of nursing today.
Hopefully I'll be placed in my desired slot.
2nd shift (2-10) pm.
I've been waiting for it for almost a damn year now.