seasonal home fries & green beans

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
a KISS dish. bit of pre-prep time but simple ingredients&method

Home fries, onion, green beans, salt, pepper, olive oil.

The entire trick to this dish is absolutely fresh potato and green beans. The flavor of super fresh potato and beans is what make the dish special. I don't recommend using "not fresh" ingredients - not worth the time and effort.... basically it's a seasonal treat, not well replicated in December.
potatoes dug and beans picked 30 minutes ago from the garden are the best.

I use "new" or baby potatoes, reds preferred. these must a fresh/recent crop - after being stored for months, potatoes lose a lot of moisture and the taste changes.

Same for the green beans. They go by the name "snap beans" for a real good reason. Most of the grocery store variety can be folded in half without breaking. Those are not suitable. (Yellow) wax beans also work, or a mixture; wax beans are all but impossible to find - we grow our own.

The onion is sweet onion aka Candy Onion. Most any onion will work except red onions which have an unappetizing color after cooking.

Prep

Wash and cut potatoes to bite/fork sized pieces. Parboil the potato chunks 10-15 minutes until fork tender (i.e. they drop off a carving fork when stabbed....) Do not over cook. Allow to cool at least one hour.

Cut the green beans into about 1 inch / 2-3 cm chunks and steam for seven minutes.

The onion gets cut into a medium dice - not too tiny.

combo1.jpg

Start by pan-frying the (par-boiled) potatoes in olive oil. Get some color and crust on the cut surfaces. This step cannot be rushed. It takes about 15-20 minutes of tossing/frying.

When the potatoes are nearly done, salt and pepper the potatoes, add in the onion, reduce the heat to sweat the onions down. Add olive oil as needed.

IMG_0139s.jpg

When the onions are sweated down, add the green beans, toss, heat through, add a splash of olive oil to coat.

Serve hot, this batch with some baked chicken:

IMG_0140s.jpg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
well, just got po'd and took a break. pretty much all the Forum 'platforms' have collapsed to just a few users. I don't do Fakebook, but seems most activity went that way.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
well, just got po'd and took a break. pretty much all the Forum 'platforms' have collapsed to just a few users. I don't do Fakebook, but seems most activity went that way.

It happens...;)

I do Fakebook/Farcebook, but I'm a quick check the timeline type, steal a few political memes for someplace else, check on the family not so close, see what's up with old school chums, then I'm out.
Heck, I spend more time on the messenger app playing word across lol

Once again, welcome back.
Thought you fell in a hole, etc...
2rofl.gif