Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Happy Birthday Medtran!!!! :happybday1:

Wishing you a GREAT day!!!! :dancing: :thewave: :thewave:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Happy Birthday, Karen! Hope you get to do something special and fun today!

Lee

Attachments

• Karen cake.jpg
    Karen cake.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 82

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks All! We picked up some Wagyu steaks, which I have been wanting for a long time, and had them for my B-day dinner with twice bakers and wedge lettuce salad.

I got stuff to make chocolate bottomed creme brulee but didn't feel like spelunking for the recipe (it hasn't made it into the electronic cookbook yet) and then having to make it, so later in the week. And, yes, I've been making my own birthday cake/dessert pretty much since I was about 15 because my mother didn't really bake sweets much, and certainly not anything complicated at all, and Craig really doesn't bake other than an occasional batch of biscuits, and I always want something special. So...

Anyway, our dinner.

full

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Karen, what did you think of the waygu beef? Was there enough difference to justify the expense?

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Karen, what did you think of the waygu beef? Was there enough difference to justify the expense?

Lee

Honestly, no. They were good, but we've had nearly as good rib eyes that cost less than half of the Wagyu but were carefully picked out from where we get our meat, though to be honest, they also have better quality meat than the regular grocery. And, in all truthful honesty, the best thing about them was the grilled/charred fat, which I don't usually eat off a regular steak, but I did cut a piece of it to taste just for the heck of it and it was the best thing about the steak!

However, when researching before buying, I found there are different grades of Wagyu and what the store we got them at carries is a midgrade. Maybe the top tier grades would make a difference. I know there is a major difference in appearance in what we got and the top tier grades, just like there was a difference in appearance in the rib eyes we normally get. These was a lot more marbling in these than in rib eyes we usually get, but nothing compared to pictures of the top tier Wagyu I've seen, much less the Kobe.

full

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
God, they look nice and marble-y to me!

My mouth is watering!

I always get boring old lean cuts, except for a very rare (no pun intended) treat of a rib eye.

Your cook on them was perfect!

Lee