Fried chicken and wild rice waffles

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...er-and-maple-horseradish-syrup-recipe-1937771

I made half the recipes of waffle batter, syrup and butter, and got 4 waffles using a Belgian waffle maker (deep indentations). It's a definite make again with some tweaks.

Craig and I both prefer a crispier waffle so I'll adapt 1 of the recipes I normally use and add the wild rice, probably also increase that a bit as well, maybe double it. I also just used breast meat because that was the first chicken I came across in the deep freezer and I didn't feel like spelunking. We'll use thighs next time and I'll probably make a batter using the flour mixture instead of just a dredge.

The butter was also a little peppery for me. However, I didn't want to mess up a blender with the butter mix so Craig ground a bunch of peppercorns in the spice grinder for me and then I measured, so thinking about it now I probably used a lot more than the recipe called for since it was measured as ground peppercorns versus whole.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
"Spelunking" in the deep freezer, LOL!

I am not an accomplished deep fryer, or a fried chicken cook. Bobby's method looks easy enough for me to do, so I would like to try it, cutting down the heat considerably.

Did you use peanut oil?

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
vege oil. I also had to turn down heat as the coating was getting too brown. But, if you watch Bobby at all, you know he tends to burn food and then call it "nicely browned." BTW, I didn't use a thermometer. I set the induction burner at 375 and ended up turning it down to like 350-360 after the initial frying on each side. I've always pan-fried my chicken as that's the way I learned it from mom and grandmom. I know the setting on the regular stove top for frying chicken but trying not to use that because of heat output, also we are going to have to get a new range as the digital controls for the oven aren't turning the oven on reliably anymore, so I'm going to have to re-learn all my settings for cooking on the stovetop.

Oh, the waffle maker I used is the round one that is on a stand and flips upside down after you put the batter in it and close.

Last edited:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Actually, I meant I'd make the chicken less spicy, Karen! ;)

Lee

I figured that. I was just mentioning since you said you weren't an accomplished chicken fryer. My cousin always had the problem of cooking at too high a temperature with her coating getting too brown but chicken not being done all the way through.

There's another trick too that I tried a couple of times but it just made extra work for me. You can precook the chicken by either parboiling (partially cook), boiling (mostly cooked), steaming, or baking. You can also stick the chicken in the oven after frying to finish cooking but I don't personally like that because it seems to ruin the coating of fried things when I do that.

https://www.thekitchn.com/why-you-s...for-fried-chicken-tips-from-the-kitchn-204523

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, I LOVE this idea! I would bake the chicken, I think.

Thanks, Karen!

Here's what the article says: (and the photo looks fantastic!)

Why Should You Precook Your Chicken?

By precooking your chicken, you spend a lot less time frying since you only need to get the outside crispy and brown, which is great when you're doing multiple batches or have hungry guests hovering over the fryer. Also, worrying that your oil is too hot and burning the outside before the inside is cooked is a thing of the past.
How to Precook, Then Fry the Chicken

Season, brine, or marinate the chicken like you normally would, then pop it into a 350°F oven until the chicken is just cooked through, 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken pieces. Finally, let the chicken cool down before frying- this precooking step can even be done a day or two in advance and the chicken stored in the refrigerator.

When you're ready to fry, let the cooked chicken come to room temperature if it was chilled, then proceed with your normal dredging or breading and frying. Fry until golden brown and crispy on the outside, it should take about 8 to 10 minutes, or half the normal time it takes to fry chicken. All you're looking for is a golden brown, crispy exterior since you know that the chicken is already fully cooked.

Now you can confidently bring a platter of golden fried chicken to your next picnic or potluck and know that every piece is cooked through and delicious!

Lee