Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Ingredients:

1 oz butter, margarine or bacon fat
1 onion; finely chopped
2 c cabbage; shredded
2 c potatoes; mashed

Directions:

Heat butter in large skillet & fry onion over low heat for 5 min or till softened. Add cabbage (should be boiled for 15 minutes previously) & stir over low heat for 2 min. Fold in mashed potatoes till well blended. Press mixture lightly with back of spoon to form large pancake. Cook for 5 min till browned lightly. Turn & brown on second side for 5 min.

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Does the cabbage turn into mush while being mixed into the potatoes? You cant still have firm cabbage at that point Im guessing. So it all turns to a puree of sorts and then you put it into the oil right?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
You can boil the cabbage first, I prefer frying it in oil first, then draining it-then adding it to the mash to make the large pancake.
Personally, I like it made with chopped cabbage better, rather than shredded.

Attachments

• 2853803950_262004a0e3_b.jpg
    2853803950_262004a0e3_b.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

FryBoy

A whole PINT of butter? That's two cups, or four whole sticks. That seems excessive for one onion (about a cup), two cups of cabbage (which would cook down to less than a cup), and 2 cups of mashed potatoes. There would be more butter than all the other ingredients combined! Is that correct?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
A whole PINT of butter? That's two cups, or four whole sticks. That seems excessive for one onion (about a cup), two cups of cabbage (which would cook down to less than a cup), and 2 cups of mashed potatoes. There would be more butter than all the other ingredients combined! Is that correct?

Ooooops, I got the recipe off here last night FB..
http://recipes.bgkulinar.net/ingredients:dizzy:
Yup, it's a bit excessive isn't it? lol

(1 oz butter, margarine or bacon fat)

FryBoy

Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, it seems that there are about as many variations on bubbles & squeak as there are for stew or meatloaf. About the only thing they all have in common is mashed potatoes and some veggie (although I did find one that uses pasta!).

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, it seems that there are about as many variations on bubbles & squeak as there are for stew or meatloaf. About the only thing they all have in common is mashed potatoes and some veggie (although I did find one that uses pasta!).

your right some people call it "hash"... this is a traditional English recipe that Sass posted...

Colcannon in Ireland
Rumbledethumps in Scotland
Biksemad in Denmark
Stamppot in the Netherlands
just to name a few

they all have a base of potatoes and cabbage with other ingredients added depending on what you had for leftovers..the end dish doesnt always look the same but its still bubble and squeak or bubble and scrape..lol

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Where's Miniman when you need him? Oh, it's probably his bedtime. 5 hours ahead of us.

Bam's right about all the variations. I'm Slovenian, and I grew up with a variation using cabbage (lots of it), onions, boiled potatoes, bread crumbs, bacon fat and the bacon that made the fat. the whole family loved it, especially us kids.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Where's Miniman when you need him? Oh, it's probably his bedtime. 5 hours ahead of us.

Bam's right about all the variations. I'm Slovenian, and I grew up with a variation using cabbage (lots of it), onions, boiled potatoes, bread crumbs, bacon fat and the bacon that made the fat. the whole family loved it, especially us kids.

we make it the same way as the English... heck we make alot of foods the same as the English..oh wait we have the same Queen..lol

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
You can boil the cabbage first, I prefer frying it in oil first, then draining it-then adding it to the mash to make the large pancake.
Personally, I like it made with chopped cabbage better, rather than shredded.

Beautiful! What do you like to serve it with? :a1:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Beautiful! What do you like to serve it with? :a1:

i can answer that one..lol

Bubble and Squeak is typically served with cold meats and pickles as an evening meal but is also often served with breakfast with eggs, baked beans, fried tomatoes, sausages, bacon, and perhaps black pudding…a typical fry-up with the bubble and squeak replacing the potatoes or hash browns.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made this out of leftovers from St. Patrick's Day's boiled dinner. I put some boiled carrots in there, too.

I was disappointed that it didn't "squeak" as much as I'd hoped.

It DOES taste exactly like hash.

Mine wasn't as pretty as Sass's, but it tasted great!

Lee

Attachments

• Bubble and Squeak 1, in pan.JPG
    Bubble and Squeak 1, in pan.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Bubble and Squeak 2, browned.JPG
    Bubble and Squeak 2, browned.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Bubble and Squeak 3, plated.JPG
    Bubble and Squeak 3, plated.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 105