SIM theft

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
if you do any kind of banking or financial stuff on a smart phone / mobile device, you should be re-thinking that.

criminals, albeit hi-tech ones . . . at the moment, are stealing/obtaining sufficient information to clone the SIM card in smart phones. using a "stolen" SIM identity, they become your phone, and become you, and have your passwords.

one recent heist: one million USD from an IRA account, converted to digital crypto currency and made to un-traceably "evaporate" before the account owner could respond to a text message 'did you authorize this?''

right now their targets are uber-high value stuff. but, just like credit card skimmers used to be custom made, costing thousands.... and now available for $20 on eBay.... the theft technology will trickle down.

just so you know....
never bank on your phone.....

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I might also mention that, if you have a Pay-Pal account, beware of the Pay-Pal Credit account....... Back in November, I received a letter from Pay-Pal congratulating me on my new Credit account. The letter went on to explain the conditions.... Problem was, I did NOT open such an account..... I called them immediately, and informed them of that fact. They said they'd take care of it ..... In December, I received a statement of the account, and over $1,400 was charged..... I called them back, very upset that they hadn't addressed this after my first call. They sent me forms to fill out.....
Filled it all out and sent it back.....Got a letter in January telling me that no sign of fraud was found; Orders were shipped to my address.... Baloney !
I filed a Police report and sent them a copy, and told 'em they would not be receiving any of that money from me, period !
Two weeks later, I got another letter, this time they acknowledged that it was opened fraudulently, so I'm cool !

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Damn. I hate when slime balls screw up what could be a good thing.
I use my phone to deposit checks. Can't do that with the computer AFAIK. I don't get that many checks but it sure is very handy as opposed to driving 20 miles and waiting in line.

Glad Paypal finally figured it out LT. :thumb:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
... opened fraudulently

UPS/etc makes this fraud really easy now-a-days. many vendors will only ship to the PayPal address, because elsewise PayPal refuses the "merchandise not received"

but....
UPS allows the user, notified by email, to change the deliver address . . .

records show it was ordered&shipped to your address.....