Rotisserie Cornish Hen

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I thought I had posted this in a thread, and it turns out it was a dinner thread. Since I’ll be making this again, I figured I’d go ahead and start a thread about it. Then I can add more pics as time goes on. I’ll start with the original. Later, I’ll add tonight’s update.

Rotisserie Cornish Hen

Ingredients

1 Cornish hen
Favorite rub

Procedure

Fairly simple. Clean the Cornish Hen, then put it on the spit. Tie the legs together in front using butcher’s twine. Now tie the wings together behind the hen using twine. Now rub it with your seasonings. You can also inject it at this point if desired. The idea here is that, even though small, Cornish Hens are a great idea for your rotisserie!

Cook in the rotisserie until golden brown, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Internal temp of 165. Let rest for 5-10 minutes covered, then cut into pieces, or split in half and serve.

Notes

The rotisserie I use for Cornish Hens is a large toaster oven. We get a lot of use out of our toaster oven. It’s much cheaper running at 110AC than 220AC, and it doesn’t heat things up as much. Plus the rotisserie feature is an added bonus. We don’t use the rotisserie often, but it does come in handy. We also have a big Foreman Rotisserie, but I only drag that out for full size chickens and such….Cornish Hens go in the toaster!

Rotisserie Cornish Hen from 9/02/09

Step_2-70.jpg

Step_1-71.jpg

Step_4-58.jpg

Step_3-63.jpg

Step_5-51.jpg

Step_6-45.jpg

Step_9-22.jpg

Step_7-36.jpg

Step_8-27.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't have a rotisserie but after seeing that, I think roast chicken may be on the menu for tomorrow!

chowhound

I thought this looked familiar (lol).
Yeah, I was recently surprised to see how many regular posters don't follow the dinner thread. Seems like that's the one thread you can count on for mostly food oriented posts, lots of pics, with maybe 30% chit-chat. Just the right balance IMO.
I'll admit it makes it tough when going back to look for something though. Especially with the twists on the thread name...

Good looking game hen.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I thought this looked familiar (lol).
Yeah, I was recently surprised to see how many regular posters don't follow the dinner thread. Seems like that's the one thread you can count on for mostly food oriented posts, lots of pics, with maybe 30% chit-chat. Just the right balance IMO.
I'll admit it makes it tough when going back to look for something though. Especially with the twists on the thread name...

Good looking game hen.

Thanks! It took me a while to find that post! I'm pretty good at searching, but this one was hard to find.

I've been thinking it might be nice to have a photo only thread of the dinner threads. Just consolidiate them all into one place daily. It would be nice, and it means tons of great pics at your fingertips.

chowhound

Thanks! It took me a while to find that post! I'm pretty good at searching, but this one was hard to find.

I've been thinking it might be nice to have a photo only thread of the dinner threads. Just consolidiate them all into one place daily. It would be nice, and it means tons of great pics at your fingertips.

I've been thinking it might be a good idea to lock the dinner thread after say... 11:30 :whistling:
:yum:
There's been times I've gone to bed by 10:30 with maybe 2 pages and woken up to 5 pages talking about anything BUT food :bonk:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, here are the pics from tonight’s Cornish Hen in the Rotisserie. Served with a side of green beans and Cuban smashed potatoes.

Step_1-79.jpg

Step_2-78.jpg

Step_3-71.jpg

Step_4-67.jpg

Step_5-59.jpg

Step_6-51.jpg

Step_7-39.jpg

Step_8-30.jpg

Step_9-25.jpg

Step_9a-13.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Did this with a big bird tonight, a whole chicken that is. Had to use the stand alone George Foreman Rotisserie for this one (toaster oven is too small for a full chicken). Also in the mix are fresh Pole Beans with Sausage, Onion, and Garlic.

The bird.
Step_1-82.jpg

This bird is getting juiced!
Step_2-81.jpg

Medieval torture – the bird is juiced, tied, and on the spit.
Step_3-74.jpg

And so it starts.
Step_4-69.jpg

Step_5-62.jpg

Ready to come out.
Step_7a.jpg

Step_6-53.jpg

Time for dismemberment.
Step_8-31.jpg

Plate it! Rotisserie Chicken, Beans with Sausage, Shake-n-Bake potatoes, Angel Hair with Olive Oil and Herbs….and a Roll.
Step_9-26.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
What’s left?
Step_9a-14.jpg

For the beans. Start with fresh Pole Beans, and snap the ends. Cleanse well in water.
Beans_1.jpg

Crumble and brown some sausage in a pot.
Beans_2.jpg

Add 1/4 cup onion and 2 cloves garlic. Sauté for 4 minutes and then deglaze with 1/4 cup white wine.
Beans_3.jpg

Add the beans and 3 cups water or chicken broth, and then simmer until tender.
Beans_4.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I've been thinking it might be a good idea to lock the dinner thread after say... 11:30 :whistling:
:yum:
There's been times I've gone to bed by 10:30 with maybe 2 pages and woken up to 5 pages talking about anything BUT food :bonk:
locking wouldn't be fair to the people who add their dinners late or the next day. not everyone is in the same time zone either. i like the chat its like we are all sitting around a potluck table eating and chatting.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
keltin WOW!! this looks awsome!! the beans are almost a green beans in lobster sauce variation.

lesley

locking wouldn't be fair to the people who add their dinners late or the next day. not everyone is in the same time zone either. i like the chat its like we are all sitting around a potluck table eating and chatting.
I agree lilbopeep, I can't always get the dinner menu up on here in time, & I end up writing it on the next morning. I have to make our dinner, then go over to my dad's house to cook his, he's 87 & not that well. Also I work the late shift in a hospital some weeks. I really enjoy reading incoming posts on here at anytime...you're right it is like sitting round the table...:agree:

lesley

Keltin, you make that chicken look so good! I'm thinking of asking the kids to get us a
rotisserie for Christmas, but there are so many different ones & prices, what would you recomend?..:read:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I agree lilbopeep, I can't always get the dinner menu up on here in time, & I end up writing it on the next morning. I have to make our dinner, then go over to my dad's house to cook his, he's 87 & not that well. Also I work the late shift in a hospital some weeks. I really enjoy reading incoming posts on here at anytime...you're right it is like sitting round the table...:agree:
hello les! how are you doing? thats exactly what i was talking about people who work odd hours and have other responsibilities.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Keltin, you make that chicken look so good! I'm thinking of asking the kids to get us a
rotisserie for Christmas, but there are so many different ones & prices, what would you recomend?..:read:
yeah kel i am interested also. would the geoge be large enough for a large turkey?

lesley

yeah kel i am interested also. would the geoge be large enough for a large turkey?

We're thinking along those same lines again peeps...:yum:
I'm wondering Christmas dinner maybe?..:whistling:
Serious question...do you think it would dry out?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
We're thinking along those same lines again peeps...:yum:
I'm wondering Christmas dinner maybe?..:whistling:
Serious question...do you think it would dry out?
i like my poulrty a bit dry. but rotissiere keeps things moist usually.