Roasted Baby Bok Choy

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am fortunate to work next to a giant Asian supermarket that has excellent and different produce.

They sell big bags of baby bok choy that's perfect for this dish. We are talking miniature, here, about the size of big brussels sprouts.

You can use regular bok choy, but separate the leaves. In fact, you could use fresh brussels sprouts - the flavor would be different, but good.

Bok choy has a subtle sweet, nutty flavor. SO good!

Fan-freaking-tastic!!

Lee

Roasted Baby Bok Choy

Bok choy
Chopped garlic
Canola or vegetable oil
Sesame oil
Mirin
Salt and pepper

Foil two roasting pans and spray with Pam (this cooks down a lot as it wilts). Toss bok choy with chopped garlic and sprinkle with a little canola oil and a few drops of sesame oil. Salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 400. Roast bok choy on lowest oven rack for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until desired tenderness.

Sprinkle roasted bok choy with mirin.
Baby bok choy, raw.JPG
Baby bok choy, roasted.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks wonderful! And other than the oil there aren't any points, are there?

Right! I maybe should have given myself a point for the oils, but I'm pretty sure I consumed less than a teaspoon of them, total, so I didn't. :mrgreen:

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I bet that was good. I would love to get my hands on some of the baby bok choy. All I can get is the regular and have to cut off some of the tops and bottoms, but I still love the stuff.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dee, they taste like a nutty, sweeter chard.

Lee

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
NOM NOM NOM!!!

I love, Love, LOVE Choy Sum!

They also lend themselves well to any application you might use Brussel sprouts.

buckytom

Grill Master
nom nom nom is right. i much prefer the taste of bok choy over brussel sprouts!

i love baby bok choy or shanghai tips quickly stir fried with a little garlic and ginger just to get the aromas going, then a bit of chicken stock added and the wok covered to steam until finished.

your roasted ones look great, qsis. i'll have to try that one soon. thanks!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made this again last night, and this time, I mixed the following together and sprinkled it over the roasted bok choy. It makes the flavor POP!

1/2 t. lemon zest
1 T. lemon juice
1 teas. mirin

Delicious!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This time I mixed about 5 minced cloves of garlic with a couple of T's of olive oil, a couple of T's of sesame oil, s&p, and 1/4 teaspoon of sambal. Then poured that mixture over halved baby bok choy that I put in a plastic bag. Tossed it all together.

Spread out on a Pam'd and foil sheet pan, into a 400 degree oven for 18 minutes, flipping halfway. Sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.

Could have used more sambal.

Lee

Roasted bok choy.JPG