Beet Greens

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I love beets and boil up a batch every couple of weeks. I can make an entire lunch of nothing but and spend the afternoon pissing pink - cheap thrills.

The basics of this recipe came from cooks.com but I've changed it somewhat to suit me.

Beet greens, stripped off the center stems
Garlic cloves - minced or crushed
1 T Butter
2 T Olive oil
1/4 cup Chicken or Beef broth - water can be substituted and supplemented with a bouillon cube
Salt
Pepper

Heat the broth to a boil and add the greens and garlic.

When the leaves start to wilt add butter and stir it in.

Reduce heat to low and cook for a few more minutes and then add the olive oil.

Drain and season to taste.

Calicolady

I love beets, roasted or boiled, and the cheep pink thrill too.
But I've never used the tops. Do they wilt like spinach so you need a ton of them for alittle result? Do you use just the gereen leaf tops or the stalks too?
Thanks for the thread Buzz. Something I alway meant to find out.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I love beets, roasted or boiled, and the cheep pink thrill too.
But I've never used the tops. Do they wilt like spinach so you need a ton of them for alittle result? Do you use just the gereen leaf tops or the stalks too?
Thanks for the thread Buzz. Something I alway meant to find out.

Beet greens wilt exactly like spinach. The center vein is thick so it's best to slice off the leaves from both sides and discard.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Gotta love a local Farmer's Market!

I bought some good stuff today, and cooked up the beet greens and the turnip greens, mixed them together after cooking each separately.

I stemmed the turnip greens, but used the stems of the beet greens since they were so small. I cooked them similar to Buzz, but added a 1T. sugar (too much IMO), 3T. vinegar and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.

Lee
Beet greens.JPG
Vegs 1.JPG
Vegs 2.JPG

Last edited:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
One of our farmers markets has several organic growers and that's where I buy most of my veggies in season.

Last edited:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Besides the farmers markets my town has two excellent organic stores. A few months ago I converted to organic fruits and veggies, 100% grass fed red meat, 100% range fed chicken and turkey as well as wild caught salmon and Walleyes that I catch myself. The process has led to a weight loss of 25# and I feel great. I've also started treating my body with some high tech stuff and I'll expound if anyone is interested.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
One step at a time. First of all, Pulsed Electromagnetic Field therapy - PEMF. They come in various forms but for the most part a mat that you lay on and let it do it's work. The basic function is to increase blood circulation which, especially for us seniors, takes nutrients to the cells and takes away the garbage. Check out this viedio, and, if interested, much more to follow.

https://wpaw.wistia.com/medias/8glb6rb590

Johnny West

Last night’s beet greens were wonderful and popular. I just steam them wit a bit of water and add vinegar at the table. I barely have any left for lunch.