Do you know about the five Mother Sauces?

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just found out about them yesterday! I knew that Bechamel was one of them. Didn't know the others.

Here they are as follows; :WitchBrewsSmiley::weber:

Attachments

• 5-Mother-Sauces.jpg
    5-Mother-Sauces.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 244

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm, and I STILL don't know what veloute and espagnole are!

Will have to look them up.

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Do You Know Your French Mother Sauces?

1. Béchamel
This is roux whisked with milk or other dairy to make a white sauce. Ever made macaroni and cheese or chicken pot pie? The base of both these dishes is béchamel. By itself, béchamel is quite bland, which is why it is usually cooked with other ingredients and not used as a finishing sauce.

2. Velouté
A velouté is a light roux whisked with chicken, turkey, fish or any other clear stock. The resulting sauce takes on the flavor of the stock, and the name is derived from the French word for velvet, which aptly describes this smooth but light and delicate sauce. It is usually served over fish or poultry that has been delicately cooked, like by poaching or steaming.

(This is how I make most of my gravies. Roux (only cooked for 1 minute) Pan fond and broth/stock)

3. Espagnole
Sauce espagnole is a basic brown sauce. It's made of brown beef or veal stock, tomato puree, and browned mirepoix, all thickened with a very dark brown roux. This sauce is sometimes used at the foundation for boeuf bourguinon and demi-glace.

4. Sauce Tomato
This is made by cooking tomatoes down into a thick sauce but used to also be thickened with roux. Unlike more modern-day tomato sauces, the classic French tomato sauce is flavored with pork and aromatic vegetables.

5. Hollandaise
This is the one mother sauce not thickened by a roux. Instead, it's thickened by an emulsion of egg yolk and melted butter, which means it's a stable mixture of two things that usually normally can't blend together. This is a very delicate sauce because the emulsion can easily break, and rich hollandaise is usually used as a dipping sauce for asparagus or a finishing sauce for dishes like eggs Benedict.