Interesting finds I would like to try

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I was browsing the website of one of a culinary store and found several things I am interested in trying out.

Found a good price on Amazon

Regency Soup Socks - $6.99

Value Pack: total of 9 socks (3 packs of 3 each) reusable cloth bags with drawstrings
Fantastically easy way to make stock!
Makes clean up much simpler, cleaner and easier.
For boiling and steaming only (not for use in oven)
You will wonder how you ever did without these. And yes, a whole chicken will fit in here.

Prepare clear flavorful soup stocks by placing meats, bones, vegetables, herbs, and spices in this fine mesh bag. When the stock has cooked, remove the soup sock and clear stock remains.

soup_socks.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This sounds easier than either straining or using cheesecloth, Peep!

And the price is right, too!

Good find!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thank you. Not sure when I will get them or use. It is getting warm for making soup but never know. LOL

I just wonder how to wash them. Dish soup and bleach in a delicate wash bag so it doesn't get beat up in the washer? Not sure I want to use my regular laundry soap (would the laundry soap give the soup an unpleasant flavor). Any ideas?

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
I was browsing the website of one of a culinary store and found several things I am interested in trying out.

Found a good price on Amazon

Regency Soup Socks - $6.99

Value Pack: total of 9 socks (3 packs of 3 each) reusable cloth bags with drawstrings
Fantastically easy way to make stock!
Makes clean up much simpler, cleaner and easier.
For boiling and steaming only (not for use in oven)
You will wonder how you ever did without these. And yes, a whole chicken will fit in here.

Prepare clear flavorful soup stocks by placing meats, bones, vegetables, herbs, and spices in this fine mesh bag. When the stock has cooked, remove the soup sock and clear stock remains.

soup_socks.jpg

Ordered these today, looks like a time saver, thanks

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just wonder how to wash them. Dish soup and bleach in a delicate wash bag so it doesn't get beat up in the washer? Not sure I want to use my regular laundry soap (would the laundry soap give the soup an unpleasant flavor). Any ideas?

Well, nine socks would last me several years, since I don't make a ton of soups.

But I guess if I wanted to try washing one, I'd stick it in the dishwasher with everything else.

Lee

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
I like the idea of tossing them when I am finished... I know it's not being green..

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
If they are cloth and not synthetic fiber they would decompose in the landfill and as such should not be a green issue.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'd be afraid to put it in the dishwasher for fear that it would get knocked off/sprayed off the rack, fall down into the bottom of the dw, and obstruct the drain, which could be biggg problem-o's. I do put sponges in my dw, but the dw has built-in clips to hold the sponges securely.

I think it might be too greasy for the clothes washer, so I'd just run some warm water in the kitchen sink, add a little detergent, swish, rinse, wring...done.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
there is a classic french technique of herbs-in-a-bag.

but, if I'm making chicken soup, I'm not seeing why I would want to put a whole chicken in a bag. frankly, sounds like it would be harder to get a falling apart chicken out of the bag than a colander....

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i make sachets (bouqet garni, in french) by doubling a few layers of cheesecloth & putting whole herbs/spices (peppercorns/clove/bay leaf/etcetera) on, pull its edges together, & tie w/ kitchen twine. easy-peasy & contributes to a soup/stock.

Last edited: