We just bought our very first ever really, truly antique -

And it's a beauty as you can see by the photos of it. This desk is circo 1720, solid mahogany with ivory and brass fittings and I'm simply in love!

Fallon The Desk closed.jpg

The desk open.jpg

Fallon :wub:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations, Fallon and Ian! It's lovely!

Did you buy it from one of the thousands of antique shops in New England?

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That is beautiful Fallon! I can see why you love it!!!! Congratulations on your amazing find!

This desk came from an estate sale in Ridgefield, Connecticut - you'll find sales like that on just about every street corner in New England. We really lucked out on this, though. The fact that we picked it up ourselves made the price all the sweeter and we were totally thrilled. Yes, I love those ball and claw feet on it, too. Inside there are two little hidden drawers on either side of the little door inside that we didn't even realize were there until we got it home. Neat place to store a will, maybe money (although nobody did right before we bought it, unfortunately) or special jewelry. I'm afraid that our new Maine Coon Cat has rather taken a back seat to our antique desk - and he doesn't think much of it. All three cats have been tiptoeing around it, rolling their eyes and sniffing it to be sure it won't chase them! But if I ever find anyone trying to roost on top of it, I"M GOING TO CHASE THE CULPRIT!! Fur persons DO NOT perch on top of 288-year-old antiques!!

Fallon ;)

chilefarmer

Hey! I bought that at Target a few weeks ago. *rubbing chin*

I really don't know where you are coming from making a statement like that. Here are people that have something they are very proud of, and I am proud for them. If its meant as humor its in bad taste. Maybe you should rethink your thinking. CF:idea:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
As a woodworker, I think it is beautiful. I make a lot of pretty things in my shop. I am always amazed at the things that were made so long ago by people without power tools and how they made such beauty.

great find - Enjoy.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
As a woodworker, I think it is beautiful. I make a lot of pretty things in my shop. I am always amazed at the things that were made so long ago by people without power tools and how they made such beauty.

great find - Enjoy.

It is beautiful!

Can you imagine how long it took a craftsman in those days to construct anything? That's a several day job with power tools. It must have taken weeks with hand tools.

The Woodwrights Shop on PBS is about early handtools and procedures. It takes forever to do little jobs that would take minutes with power tools.

Jim

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That's very nice Fallon.
My grandmother had a roll top desk and a telephone table.
Looking at your beautiful treasure brought back some nice memories.
Enjoy it for years to come.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
And it's a beauty as you can see by the photos of it. This desk is circo 1720, solid mahogany with ivory and brass fittings and I'm simply in love!

FallonView attachment 15766

View attachment 15767

Fallon :wub:

A... Secratary... So cool... I love it! My Grandma had one of those but it was built back, back, back... I don't remember but it was in the early 1900's and it was sooooooooooooo beautiful! :)

Thanks all for your kind comments - especially you, Chilefarmer - what would Ian and I ever do without you?

Sticks and stones may break bones but inconsiderate and hurtful words won't ever leave a mark on that beautiful desk! I'll get over it!! But I doubt I'll post a photo of Kieran when he arrives - I'd possibly end up having to do damage!

Fallon

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Fallon and CF,
I have known Sushi for 5 years now.
That's his silly sense of humour for ya!
He'd not say a thing to intentionally hurt anyone.

Honestly, as soon as I read his quip, I smiled and said to myself 'you goofball'.
Never thought it would be taken seriously.. and it shouldn't be. ;)

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks all for your kind comments - especially you, Chilefarmer - what would Ian and I ever do without you?

Sticks and stones may break bones but inconsiderate and hurtful words won't ever leave a mark on that beautiful desk! I'll get over it!! But I doubt I'll post a photo of Kieran when he arrives - I'd possibly end up having to do damage!

Fallon

More... instead of my. sorry!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Fallon and CF,
I have known Sushi for 5 years now.
That's his silly sense of humour for ya!
He'd not say a thing to intentionally hurt anyone.

Honestly, as soon as I read his quip, I smiled and said to myself 'you goofball'.
Allow me to 2nd Sass's explanation.
Sush is harmless and trying to be entertaining. I can understand how you might have taken it wrong, especially since you haven't seen much of his postings. He was gone for an extended period and just returned a short while ago. Those of us who were here when he was here before know of his antics and general silliness. Please do not take him seriously. I am 100% positive he was joking and absolutely meant no harm, as I was joking in my reply to him. Hope this helps.

Fallon and CF,

Sass - It's commendable of you to defend your friend. I applaud you for your loyalty. A simple apology from the person in question would have really been even more applauded. I was taught that if you can't say something nice or moderately intelligent, don't speak at all and since I can't do either in regard to this situation, I'll just shut up! As I said before, I'll get over it! I guess my husband has been jumping to my aide when I wasn't awake but I'll be sure to see that doesn't happen any more. For me, it's done wih.

Fallon

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh Fallon, Chivalry is a dying trait. Please don't ever stop Ian from showing the traits of a true gentleman. I think it's sweet.

Oh Fallon, Chivalry is a dying trait. Please don't ever stop Ian from showing the traits of a true gentleman. I think it's sweet.

Honestly, so do I and I love him for it. But I don't really want to become the focus of some sort of stupid word-sling between him and anyone else (if you wage a battle of wits with an unarmed person, you both lose) and I surely don't want to be a nuisance. Suffice it to say, even in the current circumstances, I'm pretty apt to be able to fight my own battles without involving Ian. I just got my joy temporarily diminished and that's my own fault for allowing it to hit me that way. For poor Ian, especially in my current "condition", all it takes is one tiny tear and he goes ape. He didn't stop to think that it was all pretty silly!

Fallon

But grandma's was much prettier and more classy.
LS, I knew exactly what you meant about your grandmother's piece being prettier than the one in the picture you posted. But your grandmother's must have been really gorgeous to be even nicer than the one you pictured. That looks like a Shaker piece, incidently. I love it.

Fallon :flowers: