Baked Chicken Wings, QSis' mom's

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I make chicken pieces like this ALL the time - usually chicken leg quarters or wings - and I keep forgetting to take a picture.

Until now.

Here are some of the wings we had recently. Absolutely my favorite way to have them!

I posted the recipe in another thread, but I'll copy and paste it here.

Lee

My favorite way to have chicken:

QSis' mom's Baked Chicken

Chicken leg quarters, chicken wings, drumsticks or thighs
2 cups flour
1 head garlic, separated into cloves, but not peeled
Celery leaves (optional, but Mom always put them on and I love them)
butter
Pam

Place the cloves of garlic on a foiled and Pammed cookie sheet.

Shake up chicken in flour. Lay the chicken pieces on top of the garlic cloves. Top each piece of chicken with a small smear of butter, and a couple of celery leaves. Sprinkle the pieces with poultry seasoning and some seasoned salt.

Bake leg quarters at 350 for an hour and 15 minutes.

For wings, bake them at 375 for an hour.

The skin is crispy and delicious and the meat is tender and moist!
Mom's chicken wings 2 - baked.JPG

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks for posting this again...and Thanks to your Mama for sharing it. I didn't see it the other time you posted it. It looks wonderful and I WILL be trying them soon.

Blues Man

I'm always looking for new wing recipes. I will be trying this one. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting this again...and Thanks to your Mama for sharing it. I didn't see it the other time you posted it. It looks wonderful and I WILL be trying them soon.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am having Cornish Game hens tonight and will try this one.

Pap

Hi, Pap!

Welcome to the forum!

When you get a chance, please post in the Introductions forum section, to introduce yourself to the rest of the people here - you will get warm welcomes!

I love Cornish Game Hens, but have never tried Mom's chicken recipe with them. It's a FANTASTIC idea!

Will you butterfly them?

Hope you enjoy! Please post pictures if you can!

Lee

pappy19

Hi, Pap!

Welcome to the forum!

When you get a chance, please post in the Introductions forum section, to introduce yourself to the rest of the people here - you will get warm welcomes!

I love Cornish Game Hens, but have never tried Mom's chicken recipe with them. It's a FANTASTIC idea!

Will you butterfly them?

Hope you enjoy! Please post pictures if you can!

Lee

No, I cooked them whole. I used your seasoning suggestion and cook at 400 for 30 minutes and then 350 for 30 minutes more. This was for two (2) 22oz birds. I let them rest for 10 minutes before cutting them in half. We didn't do a starch tonight, just green beans and home-made cranberry sauce. Game hens are my most favorite bird and to me, roasting in the oven is the best, most moist and tender bird. Not much leftovers at our house. Thanks for the "new" method.

Pap

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, I made these tonight with a little adjustment. I added the seasoning salt and poultry seasoning to the flour and then brushed the wings with melted butter. THEY WERE WONDERFUL! Thank you Lee and tell your mama thank you too!

Attachments

• chickenwings.jpg
    chickenwings.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,005

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL! Mama, they look just like my mother's!

To be honest, Mom used to season the flour. But I think that's a waste of seasoning, since I toss the unused flour.

Now, I shake the chicken in just flour, and sprinkle my favorite seasonings on top. I can taste them better that way, more concentrated.

Glad you liked the wings, Mama - wish I had some right now!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I am always looking for a way to get "fried" chicken without frying it. I'll be trying this very soon. Thanks, QSis.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Call me stupid but am I understanding the directions right? All the chicken wings are to be placed on TOP of the garlic cloves and not touch the pan? I'd love to try this but I want to make sure I'm going it right, lol :bonk:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, RM, place the wings on top of the unpeeled garlic cloves. Some of the meat touches the pan, and some doesn't. It's fine either way.

Lee

FooD

Awesome recipe!
How can I add heat to the wings with this recipe during the baking process?
I'd like to try this during the week.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome recipe!
How can I add heat to the wings with this recipe during the baking process?
I'd like to try this during the week.

Maybe add cayenne pepper to the flour of inject the wings with hot sauce?

Deelady

Help please!! Hubby and I want to make these tonight but we don't have I'm afraid two key ingredients.....garlic cloves and celery leaves.
Any suggestions on posible substitutions or should we just wait......all I have semi close is minced garlic, garlic powder, celery salt, dried parsley leaves.....:(
I don't want to butcher your moms recipe.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Help please!! Hubby and I want to make these tonight but we don't have I'm afraid two key ingredients.....garlic cloves and celery leaves.
Any suggestions on posible substitutions or should we just wait......all I have semi close is minced garlic, garlic powder, celery salt, dried parsley leaves.....:(

No advice here on what you should do, but all I can say is......You're gonna love it!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I didn't use the celery leaves and it was still wonderful. You could sprinkle the chicken with a little garlic powder along with the other spices. It wouldn't be quite the same but I'm sure it would still be very good.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
DeeLady said:
Any suggestions on posible substitutions or should we just wait.....

It seems to me that you can get close to the flavors by using celery salt/seed in the seasoning flour, as well as adding some garlic salt. Won't be the same because the fresh ingredients add moisture, but a good approximation...

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I think any mixture of seasoning would work on the recipe. I would use the dried garlic, celery seed, and whatever spices or spice mixes you have on hand. You may want to put something in the baking dish to raise the chicken above the grease. Even crumpled up foil should work. I've never thought of using garlic this way. The result won't be the same, but it will surely be tasty.

Seasoned flour is never seasoned enough for me. Lately I have been mixing the seasonings with a little EVOO to make a paste, and use it as a rub.

As for hot sauce, just add as little or as much to the seasoning as you want. Or, add the sauces as a side or toss it with the chicken.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dee, I'm sorry that I didn't see your post till now. You surely can omit the garlic cloves on the bottom, and you don't have to put any herb on top.

You just want the chicken to be floured and seasoned nicely, with a little butter on top, and baked until well done and crispy.

Here's what giant chicken thighs look like, with the last of the garden's sage leaves on top. These babies were baked at 350 for an hour and a half - they were HUGE!!

Lee
Chicken thighs.JPG

Last edited:

Peggy

This sounds and looks great! I have "fried" chicken in the oven before, but this way is even better!

Mr. Green Jeans

Lee, I've been doing wings pretty close to your method. <Great minds/chefs think alike>. I place flour + seasoning usually just Old bay in a bag, add wings shake and place in a jelly roll pan to bake about 25 minutes/side. Then I place in a large bowl and toss in sauce de jour. When the boys were at home I had to fix a minimum of 5#!

Deelady

I seasoned the flour Lee but next time I'm going to try it as you said by putting it directly on, I agree I always feel it is wastful to season the flour....but I usually do it anyways! lol

Love them!!!:clap:
food 583.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: