Keltin's Weekly Sale Meal (WSM)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I was looking over the local supermarket sales papers for this week and appreciating some of the things I was seeing. As I was imagining what I was going to get and how I’d cook it, it hit me that perusing the weekly sales paper is very much akin to perusing a menu at a restaurant!

So, I came up with the idea to do Keltin’s Weekly Sale Meal, or WSM. I’ll try to do it at least every two weeks, maybe every week if time allows and the sales are awesome! I’ll just keep posting them here with a new heading each time. Should be fun.

I encourage everyone else here to think of doing the same. It’s fun, local, and you’re saving money whilst also be a creative foodie! :biggrin:

Oh, and even if you don’t get sales papers in the mail or at the news rack, you can still check out the weekly ads of your local supermarkets by visiting their web sites and checking the “Weekly Ad” link.

WSM: April 10, 2011

Ran into my first snag with this idea at the first supermarket, items sold out! So, I ended up changing the menu a bit since I couldn’t get the meat I wanted. This necessitated going to a second store that was 2 blocks down the road. Which was fines since they had potatoes on sale, and I wanted potatoes with this.

Note: the sales paper didn’t show iceberg lettuce on sale, but it was marked on sale once we got there. Price: 1.29

Also, DW doesn’t like tomato in her salad, so I only had to buy one.

Menu For Two
Grilled Top Sirloin Steak
Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Herb Roasted Potatoes
Green Beans
Green Salad
French Bread Garlic Toast

Grocery List
Sirloin Steak (1.46#)...............7.29
Red Potatoes (5#)..................2.50
Shrimp Skewers (5 skewers).....4.95
Tomato.................................1.01
Lettuce.................................1.29
French Bread..........................0.50
Green Beans (0.65#)................0.84

Total....................................19.85

Bonus: Extra Lettuce, Potatoes, French Bread, plus any leftovers, to be used in future meals, lunches, or snacks.

Oh, and take note of the AD gimmick. It listed the potatoes as 2 for $5, but you CAN (and I DID) buy only 1 for $2.50!

So, a surf and turf dinner for 2 for under $20. And actually, less than 20 since the extras I paid for will be used in other meals thus offsetting the total cost of this meal. Not bad!

I’ve got everything, and will set about to cooking it shortly. Update later showing the final cooked meal.

Attachments

• ad7.JPG
    ad7.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,073
  • ad2.JPG
    ad2.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,081
  • ad3.JPG
    ad3.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,062
  • ad4.JPG
    ad4.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,078
  • ad5.JPG
    ad5.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,088
  • ad6.JPG
    ad6.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,074
  • ad1.JPG
    ad1.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,020
  • wsm1.jpg
    wsm1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,085
  • wsm2.jpg
    wsm2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,075
  • wsm3.jpg
    wsm3.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,069
  • wsm4.jpg
    wsm4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,072
  • wsm5.jpg
    wsm5.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,077
  • wsm6.jpg
    wsm6.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,023
Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Wow - looks wonderful, Keltin. I am preparing a pretty good dinner tonight, but I'm thinking I might rather eat at your house - or Peeps'. Take a look at her dinner. It looks wonderful. Can't wait to see the result.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Wow - looks wonderful, Keltin. I am preparing a pretty good dinner tonight, but I'm thinking I might rather eat at your house - or Peeps'. Take a look at her dinner. It looks wonderful. Can't wait to see the result.
Thank you Karen.

My chicken was on sale. $.88/lb for a whole chicken. I cut it up and used the back, neck etc for stock which will be soup or gravy for another meal.

Cuisinette

I just had a talk with my boyfriend and he told me that I cooked this past week for 3 people with just $80 and that included a large bottle of red wine.

I knew I was frugal, but not that frugal :yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I just had a talk with my boyfriend and he told me that I cooked this past week for 3 people with just $80 and that included a large bottle of red wine.

I knew I was frugal, but not that frugal :yum:

I didn't include the wine or beer in this tab. There is frugal, and there is wasteful. Ignorance usually leads to waste, so I'm hoping this creative use of saving defeats that.:bbq3:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, finally got around to pulling the last pics out of the camera. I'm calling this inaugural WSM a success! :readytoeat:

Uh....notice that I broke out the fine china for the salad!! :yum:

Attachments

• ck4.jpg
    ck4.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,010
  • ck3.jpg
    ck3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,042
  • ck1.jpg
    ck1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,010
  • ck2.jpg
    ck2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,033

buckytom

Grill Master
wow, awesome thread, keltin!!! :applause::a1:

thanks for taking the time to write it up and for taking all of those pics to let us eat vicariously with you. :corn:

it's great to have you back.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
wow, awesome thread, keltin!!! :applause::a1:

thanks for taking the time to write it up and for taking all of those pics to let us eat vicariously with you. :corn:

it's great to have you back.
You sure do love that corn!! :yum:

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, peep. dw loves corn, i just eat what she cooks.

summer's coming, so we'll have corn almost every day.

thank god asparagus season is almost over. i can pee normally again...

:pee_smilie:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
lol, peep. dw loves corn, i just eat what she cooks.

summer's coming, so we'll have corn almost every day.

thank god asparagus season is almost over. i can pee normally again...

:pee_smilie:
UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
WSM: April 16, 2011

Went to two stores again for this one. Shop And Save, and Publix.

This week, the sales were interesting. I saw beef tenderloin (9.99/#), beef rib roast (5.99/#), and lobster tails (4.99/ea) all on sale. But, we did surf and turf for the last WSM. This week, we opted for a traditional BBQ.

Notice in the sale paper that pork butt was on sale. We went ahead and grabbed a 4.45# butt for $5.96 that we’ll cook for tomorrow’s dinner.

BBQ Menu For Two
BBQ Bone-In Chicken Breast
Grilled Corn On The Cob (in the husk)
Baked Beans
Potato Salad
Rolls

Grocery List
Chicken Breasts……………….$4.47 (Qty: 4)
Corn On The Cob……………..$0.67 (Qty: 2)
Rolls………………………………….$1.99 (Qty: 12)
Bacon for Baked Beans…….$1.88

Total (with tax)………….…….$9.73

For this meal, we used the left over potatoes from last week for potato salad, and we had a couple cans of pork-n-beans in the pantry for the baked beans. All we needed was bacon to top off the baked beans and we were good.

Bonus: The Chicken pack had four HUGE breasts in it, so we froze two for another meal. That basically drops the price of this meal by $2.23 (giving a total of $7.50 for 2 people tonight) since we’ll be using those breast for another night. The rolls and bacon will have leftovers to be used for other meals making this meal cheaper, and the leftover baked beans and potato salad will be used for snacks and other meals thus dropping the price even further.

So, for $9.73, we put together a new BBQ meal for two (but could have been for 4 since we had 4 chicken breasts), while also stocking the freezer, fridge, and bread box for future meals. Not bad at all!!

We eat late here, especially on weekends. Everything is on the grill now and about to come off, so I’ll update later with the after pics. :biggrin:

Attachments

• ig5.jpg
    ig5.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 997
  • ig4.jpg
    ig4.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,000
  • ig3.jpg
    ig3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 976
  • ig2.jpg
    ig2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,002
  • ig1.jpg
    ig1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,007
  • sl3.JPG
    sl3.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 960
  • sl2.JPG
    sl2.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 996
  • sl1.JPG
    sl1.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,005
  • ig6.jpg
    ig6.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,000
  • ig7.jpg
    ig7.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Somehow I missed the first set of pics. Your first dinner was beautiful. Everything looked like it was cooked perfectly! I can't wait to see this second dinner when it's finished! :clap:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Great prices, Keltin! I can seldom buy chicken that cheaply here, but I did buy a whole (unsplit) chicken breast on sale today for only 25.70 pesos, which is about $2.20 USD, so I guess that is pretty close to the same price...I should have bought more! A 12-oz package of bacon will cost me twice as much, though, and the sweet corn? Forget it. Does not exist here. I can't wait to see your dinner.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, finally pulled the pics off the camera. Here are the results for WSM 4/16. :eating2:

Attachments

• ck1.jpg
    ck1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 972
  • ck2.jpg
    ck2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 967
  • ck3.jpg
    ck3.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 977
  • ck4.jpg
    ck4.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 992
  • ck5.jpg
    ck5.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 985
  • ck6.jpg
    ck6.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 983

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh, lovely! Great dinner, Keltin. Hope you and DW enjoyed it in good health and happiness.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Nice Keltin! That chicken looks wonderful! :thumb: Did you cook the Catalina dressing on the chicken like bbq sauce or did you just brush it on after you grilled it?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks all!

Nice Keltin! That chicken looks wonderful! :thumb: Did you cook the Catalina dressing on the chicken like bbq sauce or did you just brush it on after you grilled it?

Yep, I used it just like BBQ sauce. This chicken had two coats. The first went on 10 minutes before they were done, and then another coat 5 minutes later. I love using bold salad dressings in place of BBQ sauce.

French and Russian dressings are also great glazers/finishers!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I picked up a whole boneless 9 lb pork loin for $18.00 and will probably get around 6 (4 person) meals out of it depending on how I use it. Maybe more if I cut thin and pound for breaded cutlets.

Fresh Pork Loin Center Cut Boneless

Untrimmed - Average size 9 - 12 LBS
PRODUCT OF US (unless otherwise noted)

SKU/UPC: 201103000007

176565.jpg

$1.99/lb Per Unit

I will cut into it into 1 lb pieces and foodsaver vac for freezer.