Chicken Strudel from SilverSage

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Chicken Strudel

All the prep can be done in advance, and the strudels are just popped from the fridge to the oven when you’re ready to eat.

Chicken
2 chicken supremes
½ cup dry white wine
1¾ cup chicken stock
1 slice onion
1 slice lemon
2 sprigs parsley
¼ tsp peppercorn
Assembly
½ package phyllo dough
½ cup butter, melted

Sauce
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup mushrooms, sliced thick
2 tsp butter
1 shallot, minced
¼ cup flour
½ cup heavy cream
½ lemon, juiced
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Procedure
Preheat oven to 350°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.

Chicken

Place chicken, wine, onion, lemon slice, parsley, and peppercorns in a heavy bottomed sauté pan. Add enough chicken stock to cover. Cover and poach gently until chicken reaches 150-155° at the thickest part. Remove chicken and set aside. Do not overcook! It will finish cooking later, and you don’t want it to dry out.

Strain aromatics from broth, returning broth to saucepan. Reduce it to 1¾ cup.

Sauce

Heat sauté pan and add 2 tablespoons butter. When foam subsides, toss in mushrooms with salt & pepper until browned. Set aside.

In heavy bottomed sauce pan, wilt shallots in 2 T butter until translucent. Stir in flour and cook for a minute or two to remove the "raw" taste. Quickly whisk in the reserved stock from the chicken poaching. Continue cooking until sauce is thickened and smooth. Stir in heavy cream.

Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Toss chicken and mushrooms into sauce. Squeeze in lemon to taste and adjust seasoning.

Assembly

Lay one sheet of phyllo on parchment and quickly brush with melted butter. Continue to layer phyllo and butter until completed.

With a slotted spoon, lay chicken mixture along one long edge of pastry, leaving all excess sauce in pan. Leave an inch or two at each short edge unfilled. Fold in the two short ends, then roll as a jelly roll. Use a little water to moisten seam to help it stick. Brush the top with melted butter, and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds if desired. Score 3 diagonal slashes in the top of the pastry.

Carefully transfer to the lined baking sheet.

You can finish to this point and chill it until ready to serve if you wish.

Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes.

Thin the remaining sauce with a little stock or water and reheat.

To serve, slice the strudel into quarters and arrange 2 per plate. Spoon a little of the sauce over each piece and pass the rest.

Servings: 2

Attachments

• Chick strudel 3.jpg
    Chick strudel 3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 438

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
WOW! That looks incredible! I've so got try this. I've been dying to work with phyllo dough for a while now, and THIS is what I'll do! Thank you!

lilylove

Keltin...Two words of advice...when it comes to phyllo...WORK QUICK~ It dries out and cracks very quickly.

Have fun!!!

This does look wonderfully filling and tasty!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin...Two words of advice...when it comes to phyllo...WORK QUICK~ It dries out and cracks very quickly.

Have fun!!!

This does look wonderfully filling and tasty!

Thanks for the tip Lily! I appreciate it! Would it help to sprinkle water on it as you work, or just goes balls out and do it fast?

lilylove

thaw it out right before you need it Keltin and you can cover it with a slightly damp cloth... not too wet though or it gets gummy and yucky. :(

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks for the tip Lily! I appreciate it! Would it help to sprinkle water on it as you work, or just goes balls out and do it fast?

Gee, I can't exactly go balls out, but I manage to handle the phyllo just fine!:whistling:

Actually, the damp towel trick is common, but I find that it can make the dough soggy. I cover it with plastic wrap, then put a damp towel over the wrap. The plastic wrap keeps the moisture in, the water in the towel helps wieght it down, and the damp towel is handy if it does start to dry out and you need the moisture.

Just be sure to work quickly.