ISO ground pork ideas

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, you guys have been so helpful to me for using up stuff I have, that I'm going to try another one.

I have 1 lb. of ground pork in the freezer.

Ideas?

TIA!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
potstickers, or u could make a meatloaf by combining w/ a leaner meat

I have several I saved. If something jumps out at you - Hollah.

Asian Meatballs
Sesame noodles (w/ peanut butter)
Shanghai spring rolls

Meanwhile, here's one an idea:

Wok of Fame Pot Sticker Bundles

1 lb. ground pork
2 tbsp. peanut oil -- or vegetable oil, divided
1 cup coleslaw -- shredded coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup green onions -- minced
1/2 cup carrots -- shredded
1 tbsp. fresh ginger -- grated
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
50 square won-ton wrappers
1/2 cup chicken broth -- divided
Sweet and sour sauce -- hot chili oil, soy sauce (optional)

Brown meat in 1 tbsp. hot oil until no longer pink, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon. Add cabbage, mushrooms, onions, carrots and ginger; stir-fry for 5 to 7 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Stir in teriyaki sauce.

Brush each won ton wrapper lightly with water and place 1 tsp. filling in the center of each. Bring up the edges to enclose filling and twist firmly to form small pouches. Heat remaining 1 tbsp. oil in the bottom of a large skillet.

Place half of the pot stickers in the skillet and cook over medium heat until the bottom is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add half of the broth to the skillet; cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve with desired sauce.

"http://www.raleys.com/www/apps/recipes/recipe.jsp?recipeid=12011"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 58 Calories; 3g Fat (42.0% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 7mg Cholesterol; 170mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Makes: 50 pot stickers

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
MMMMMM, thanks, everybody!

I love potstickers and eggrolls, but too lazy to make them!

Sass, never thought of biscuits and gravy - I've never made it, but it's my favorite thing to order for breakfast! That's a good possibility.

CC, what's your recipe for Sesame Noodles with Peanut Butter sauce? That sounds as if it might be easy.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Sass - I like the sounds of this one. I have all the stuff, too!

Thanks!

Lee

Ground Pork, Peas, and Rice Casserole

Ingredients
2 cup long-grain rice
3 cup water
1/2 lb fresh peas (shelled or 14 cup frozen)
1/2 tbsp peanut oil
1 lb ground pork
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp rice wine (dry sherry)
3 tbsp green onions (finely chopped)

Directions
  1. Add rice and water to a large, heavy saucepan and bring to a boil.
  2. Continue boiling for 10 minutes, or until most of the surface liquid has evaporated.
  3. The surface of the rice will be uneven and look like a pitted crater. At this stage, cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and set the heat to low.
  4. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the dish. If you went the fresh peas route, blanch them in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain, and set aside. Otherwise, thaw frozen peas at room temperature.
  5. Add the oil to a heated wok or skillet. Add the pork and stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the peas, soy sauces, oyster sauce, and rice wine.
  6. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes, then add the green onions.
  7. Place this cooked mixture on top of the rice, cover, and continue to cook over the lowest possible heat for another 15 minutes (rice will have cooked a total of 25 minutes).
  8. Serve immediately, drizzling additional oyster sauce over the top of the casserole if desired

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Lee, I have the most wonderful recipe for Albondigas, or Mexican meatballs. It calls for 1/2 ground pork and 1/2 ground beef, but I have often made it with ground pork alone. Trust me. It is SO good...

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]ALBONDIGAS (MEATBALLS) CON CHIPOTLE

Ingredients:

The broth -

5 tomatoes (or used canned, chopped tomatoes)
1 clove garlic
1 small onion
2 TBS canned adobado sauce from canned chipotles in adobado
2 TBS oil
3 cups water or chicken stock . If you use water, add chicken or tomato stock granules to taste.
Assorted chopped vegetables, e.g., carrots, chayote, nopal (optional), zucchini, green beans, corn – whatever you have on hand

In a blender or food processor, blend the tomatoes with the garlic, onion and chipotle sauce. Fry in the oil for about 10 minutes to mix the flavors. Add the water or broth and vegetables and cook for 15-20 minutes.

If you want, you can also add rice to the broth.

The meatballs -

½ kilo (one pound) ground beef
½ kilo (one pound) ground pork
1 cup cooked rice
4-5 tomates verde (tomatillos)
2 eggs
½ cup chopped cilantro)
2-3 chipotle chiles in adobado sauce
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp cumin
Mix the chopped tomatillos, garlic, onion, cilantro, eggs, and chiles in the blender or food processor. Put the meat in a bowl and add the rice and spices. Stir in the blended mixture and mix well. Shape into balls the size of walnuts and cook in the tomato broth for 15-20 minutes. You may need to do this in two batches.

Garnish with chopped avocado, limes, crema, crumbled fresh cheese [/FONT]

Since you have 1 lb & want something easy, how about Hawaiian-style burgers. I've made them w/ ground turkey. You could add some BBQ sauce to the pork mixture, along w/ breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, chopped bell pepper & minced onions. Cook up your burgers & top them off w/ a pineapple ring. Serve w/ a side of fries. Quick and easy peasy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Karen - your meatballs sound exquisite!

CC, I've never made burgers of just ground pork before. Think they'd be good?

Lee

Personally, I would wait until you have more pork, combine it with ground beef or make dumplings or egg rolls - as already mentioned. I buy at least 1 1/2 - 2 lbs of ground meat. I made it w/ ground turkey, & I enjoyed it. I've made burgers w/ all beef, of course. It's a matter of taste, & what you like. Did you have something specific in mind when you bought it? Just curious. That's all I got, as most dishes require more meat.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
. Did you have something specific in mind when you bought it? Just curious.

Oh, yeah, I did. Just like I had plans for the canned peas and frozen artichokes when I bought THEM.

Can't, for the life of me, remember WHAT, though. :huh:

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
You can also make chinese lobster sauce (made with ground pork NOT lobster. It got it's name because it was served as a sauce for lobster) the kind you get when you order shrimp with lobster sauce. A childhood friends father would make lobster sauce and serve it over fresh steamed string beans. I have a recipe somewhere, when I find it I will post it.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Mexican Meatball Soup is very very tasty..we had it 2 nights ago

Lee, I have the most wonderful recipe for Albondigas, or Mexican meatballs. It calls for 1/2 ground pork and 1/2 ground beef, but I have often made it with ground pork alone. Trust me. It is SO good...

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]ALBONDIGAS (MEATBALLS) CON CHIPOTLE[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]The broth -[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]5 tomatoes (or used canned, chopped tomatoes)[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 clove garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 small onion[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 TBS canned adobado sauce from canned chipotles in adobado[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 TBS oil[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3 cups water or chicken stock . If you use water, add chicken or tomato stock granules to taste. [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Assorted chopped vegetables, e.g., carrots, chayote, nopal (optional), zucchini, green beans, corn – whatever you have on hand[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]In a blender or food processor, blend the tomatoes with the garlic, onion and chipotle sauce. Fry in the oil for about 10 minutes to mix the flavors. Add the water or broth and vegetables and cook for 15-20 minutes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]If you want, you can also add rice to the broth.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]The meatballs -[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ kilo (one pound) ground beef[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ kilo (one pound) ground pork[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 cup cooked rice[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]4-5 tomates verde (tomatillos)[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 eggs[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ cup chopped cilantro)[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2-3 chipotle chiles in adobado sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 cloves garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 small onion[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 tsp oregano[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ tsp cumin[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Mix the chopped tomatillos, garlic, onion, cilantro, eggs, and chiles in the blender or food processor. Put the meat in a bowl and add the rice and spices. Stir in the blended mixture and mix well. Shape into balls the size of walnuts and cook in the tomato broth for 15-20 minutes. You may need to do this in two batches.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Garnish with chopped avocado, limes, crema, crumbled fresh cheese [/FONT]

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Excellent idea, Peep!

Would go great with my Oven-Fried Rice recipe! http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=94734&postcount=11

Orrrrrr, maybe the sauce for Egg Foo Yung!! http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=174636&postcount=1

Or BOTH!!!!

Thanks, Peep!

Lee
Welcome Lee. I haven't tried this yet Lee. I was going to make it but decided to make wonton soup LOL The link backs are at the end of the recipe and the end of the shopping list.
I was going to put it over steamed fresh string beans. But you can put it over shrimp also. If you try it let me know how it is.

Chinese Lobster Sauce

Servings: 4

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 lb ground pork
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • Ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon fermented black beans
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 green onions (spring onions, scallions)
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sherry wine
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons oil, for stir-frying
    Directions:

Prep Time: 25 mins
    Total Time: 40 mins
  • Combine the ground pork with the soy sauce, pepper and cornstarch. Marinate the pork for 15 minutes.
  • Rinse the black beans, letting them sit in the water for a few minutes to soften. Drain. Use a cleaver or knife to finely chop the beans. Peel and mince the garlic clove. Mash the garlic together with the soaked black beans. Wash the green onion and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
  • In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sherry, sugar, and chicken broth. Set aside. In a separate small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water and set aside.
  • Lightly beat the eggs with the salt. Heat the wok over medium high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoon oil, swirling to coat the sides. When oil is ready, add 1/2 of the mashed black beans and garlic mixture. Stir-fry until aromatic. Add the ground pork. Stir-fry until it changes color. Remove and clean out the wok.
  • Add 1 tablespoon oil. When the oil is hot, add the second half of the bean and garlic mixture. Stir-fry until aromatic. Add the sauce. Give the cornstarch and water mixture a quick re-stir and add to the sauce, stirring quickly to thicken. Add the ground pork back into the pan. Stir in the green onion.
  • Stir in the beaten eggs. Remove the sauce from the heat, pour over shrimp or lobster and serve.

Inserted from <http://www.food.com/recipe/chinese-lobster-sauce-323257>

Shopping List

RECIPE A: #323257
Chinese Lobster Sauce

4 servings

Ingredients:
For Recipe:

Baking & Staples
granulated sugar (1 teaspoon)
cornstarch (1 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon)
salt (1/4 teaspoon)
oil (2 tablespoons) for stir-frying
pepper ( to taste) to taste

Beverages
water (2 tablespoons)

Canned Foods
chicken broth (3/4 cup)

Dairy
eggs (2) beaten

Meat & Seafood
ground pork (1/4 lb)

Produce
green onions (2) spring onions, scallions
garlic cloves (1)

Specialty Foods
soy sauce (2 teaspoons + 1 tablespoon)
fermented black beans (1 tablespoon)

Wine & Beer
sherry wine (1 tablespoon)

Inserted from <http://www.food.com/myshopcart/index.zsp>

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Chinese Lobster Sauce sounds really good! I've had Shrimp with Lobster Sauce many, many times at restaurants (one of my favorites), and I've never noticed the black beans. Maybe they were in there and just appeared to be pork. Maybe that's the secret ingredient :brows: .