I have a box of frozen artichoke hearts

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
could manke a salad w/ an aioli, or make like the guys that sell jarred ones & make a marinade 4 them

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Oo-Oo-Oo- :wave:

I just bought a box of those. Ina Garten made a roasted artichoke salad as port of an antipasta plate this season, and I want to try it. It's in her newest cookbook. and also on her website.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmmmMMMMMM! All the ideas sound good!

SS, Ina's roasted dish sounds delicious!

Thanks!

Lee

One of my favorite recipes using artichoke hearts (I use canned since the frozen ones I've purchased are always freezer-burned due to low turnover I imagine) is "Chicken Scarparella" (please excuse if spelling is incorrect).

My computer crashed so I don't yet have access to my recipes, but I'm sure there are plenty on the internet. It's essentially chicken parts (I use thighs), sausages, artichoke hearts, & sometimes potatoes braised with extra-virgin olive oil, dry white wine, oregano, rosemary, & garlic. Very fragrant & delicious.

Since you have one box, another idea...

Chicken w/ 40 cloves of garlic. Add some little red potatoes, chicken broth and/or white wine, & seasonings of choice. There are several recipes on the web.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sheesh! These ideas all sound wonderful! Makes me want to go out and buy MORE artichokes!

I'm liking the pizza idea a lot! Haven't made a homemade pizza in ages.

Lee

Carolina Cooking

Sheesh! These ideas all sound wonderful! Makes me want to go out and buy MORE artichokes!

I'm liking the pizza idea a lot! Haven't made a homemade pizza in ages.

Lee

I had pizza like that when I lived in Ca. all the time. I really like them.

I bought a few frozen but they just don't cut it.lol

I made the feta one , when I had to use the feta. Black O I could eat the whole can by itself :heart:

BTW I don't know what frozen artichokes cost, but a can is around $2 change.. Wal Mart.

If you still have any artichokes left, I just remembered my mashed potatoes w/ artichokes & Parmesan cheese.

Prepare your chokes according to pkg (I would steam rather than boil since they are frozen), & chop finely by hand or in food processer. Peel & quarter your potatoes & boil until fork-tender. Mash up your taters, add S&P to taste. Add half and half or milk, & parmesan cheese, then fold in the chopped chokes. Delish!

I have a recipe for artichoke/lemon pesto. Maybe you can adapt it using frozen chokes.

I went through my recipes, & snagged one for fettucinne, artichoke hearts & lemon juice. Found it on Epicurious' site. I'll post, or try a search on their site.

Guts

I'm a little late with this one. Sorry

But this is a great way to use artichokes.. as long as they're not the marinated type.

[FONT=&quot]Never to be Forgotten Garlic Bread[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Warning this is very rich and served in small portions [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]1 lb loaf French Bread [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]6 Tbsp butter [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 - 8 cloves garlic, crushed or grated [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]7 tsp sesame seeds [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1-1/2 Cup sour cream [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 Cups Jack or Mozzarella cheese, cubed or grated [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 Tbsp minced parsley [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tsp lemon pepper [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 14-oz. can artichokes (not marinated) coarsely chopped [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 Cup grated cheddar cheese [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cut loaf of bread in half lengthwise and tear out soft center in small chunks [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Put shell lined foil lined baking sheet [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Melt butter in large skillet; stir in garlic and sesame seeds [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Add bread cubes and cook until golden and butter is absorbed [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Remove from heat [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Combine sour cream, jack and parmesan cheese [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Stir in artichokes, parsley and lemon pepper, and toasted bread [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mix and spoon into bread shells [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sprinkle with cheddar cheese [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Bake at 350° 30 minutes or until golden [/FONT]

Attachments

• Never to be Forgotten Garlic Bread 006.jpg
    Never to be Forgotten Garlic Bread 006.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 450
  • Never to be Forgotten Garlic Bread 009.jpg
    Never to be Forgotten Garlic Bread 009.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 455

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Finally! I tried Ina's recipe. It was absolutely delicious as a side dish. But next time, I think I'll make it as an element of an antipasta platter.
She showed it that way in her book, and I think it would compliment the meats & cheeses very well.

And it was soooo easy!

Attachments

• roasted artichoke 001.jpg
    roasted artichoke 001.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 412
Speaking of artichoke hearts as appetizers, a little local Italian restaurant back in NY used to serve "Fried Artichoke Hearts" as an appetizer. I haven't tried recreating them myself yet, although I keep planning to.

They weren't deep-fried; were seemingly just canned or frozen hearts, halved & dusted with seasoned breadcrumbs & then sauteed in extra-virgin oil with chopped garlic until heated through, & sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan cheese. They were really good, especially with crusty bread to sop up the remaining oil.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SS, thanks for sharing the picture of Ina's roasted salad - it looks fantastic!

Breezy, the breaded and fried artichoke hearts sound incredible! I'd definitely order THAT appetizer!

Lee