12/21/2012 The Last Day Of The Mayan Calendar

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
From here.......

"The last solar cycle was at its maximum in 2001. Each active solar cycle has a period when the flares are strongest, usually happening near the solar equator, called the "solar maximum." This is significant because the next "solar maximum" event will coincide with December 21, 2012. But wait -- there's much more!

Solar flares are pieces of the sun which leap into space, discharging radiation and strong electrical currents that travel outward into space. They often fall back to the surface of the Sun. Sometimes, a very strong flare, called a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME), actually leaves the Sun and this deadly mass shoots out from the Sun towards the planets like a bullet. Usually these CME's don't hit anything but occasionally they hit a planet like Earth. Some believe a powerful CME once hit Mars.

Most solar flares are small. But even a small flare can be dangerous. In 1989 a flare hit the North American continent and fried electric lines, zapped power grids in the US and Canada, and created large power backouts. Flares can also effect our moods and physical health. In theory, a large flare impacting the Earth could zap the ionosphere (there goes all the satellites, cellphones, GPS...) and irradiate the surface, killing every living organism that it touched.

Solar flares and sun spots have an average cycle of 11.120412 years (estimated from one "solar maximum" to the next). Right now, 2009, we are just entering the active period of cycle number 24, after an unusually long period of quiet solar activity. This quiet period led some people at NASA to conclude that cycle 24 would be a very quiet cycle -- contradicting the earlier predictions they made for an extremely violent cycle. Now they have redacted their call for a quiet cycle since the activity has again commenced. The scientists who study the Sun have also recently announced that they have measured the solar currents, deep inside the Sun, which correspond the Dr. Gillespie's barycenter currents. But to date they have not been able to agree what causes these deep currents of solar material.

The small discrepancy between the average 11.120412 year solar cycle and the 11.861773 year period of Jupiter is close enough to be significant but suggests that something else is also influencing solar disturbances. Sure, it could be attributed to the various positions of the other less massive planets, but it could also be something even more significant -- the Milky Way."

As Chevy Chase said, "Na na na na na na na na na ".

smoke king

Banned
If anyone draws my name for Christmas 2012, I would just as soon have cash. And if I could get it early, that would be great!:yum:

buckytom

Grill Master
that whole thing is a bunch of hooey.

the guy that was supposed to write out the calendar got to december of 2012 and finally looked outside, saw all of his bosses had killed each other or just left and said, f*ck it.
i'm going home. i'm tired.

an old hobby when i was a kid was studying apocolyptic theories and beliefs. the book of revelations used to fascinate me. hey if you have to study something in seminary, it might as well be exciting. anyway, from everything i've read about mayan culture and the long count calendar, including visiting several mayan temples and ruins in the yucatan, the long count calendar doesn't say the world ends in 2012, but rather it's just the end of an epoch because of celestial alignment. a new one would presumably start at that time.

AllenOK

And here I thought y'all have been watching Apocalypse Island on the History Channel. Some scientist found an island in the Pacific with a supposedly Mayan Sun Deity monolith carved out of a ridge. Doing some calculations, he discovered that this island will be the ONLY place on the planet that the Transit of Venus across the Sun (in 2012), and a solar eclipse, will be visible from shortly before the winter solstice in 2012. He's postulating that the Mayans knew this would be a good place to view "the end of the world" from.