What's Cooking NCT Sun. 1/13/2013 to Sat. 1/19/2013

Embryodad

I made nice chicken soup for Tina. She was at her Uncs in South Jersey, and she called to tell me..."I'm Sick!"

I said..."O K Froggy!" ..... darn

She arrived home at 645, and she's under the influence of codine and cough suppressant. :WitchBrewsSmiley:

I ate some soup with crackers. Just a little. No meat in the soup.
Used the knorrs powder, and the carrots and celery and onions.
I made her tiny little meatballs that I made with just beef / crackers crumbs / oregano / and a little garlic paste and a egg.
I was supposed to make matzo Balls...but I couldn't find the box mix.

She had two tsp. and conked out in the bed. She'll enjoy it tomorrow after a good nights sleep.
I spent most of the day sanitizing all the faucets and doorknobs and light switches. Handles....everything. GRrrrrrrrrrr!!!
If I catch it...I'll be peeved.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I also caught something. Been feeling lousy (sneezing, coughing, stuffy, achey etc) since late tuesday. We had hot dogs 2 days and pizza last night. I feel a bit better today and think I will make chicken soup.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
made organic redd curry lentil soup w/ silken tofu, then baby carrot w/ garlic butter fer lunch. a pop to drink.
camera on my phone went ka-put, so have not got pix. (should be getting a new phone in a day.)

Embryodad

Got breaded Italian Style Steak All breaded and ready to fry.

The wife is S I C K with a doozy of a cold. SOoooo, I'm playing Nurse. LOL

I'm getting the sniffles. I hope I don't get her cold. Darnit... I was at the DR office the other day...I'll bet that's where the Germs attacked me.."Gee, would ya think?"

Got soup that I made yesterday ... The chicken with baby meatballs.

Embryodad

Today, I was just Ditzing around looking for something to cook from what I could relate to what was in the freezer.
Found some Thin 1/8" sandwich steaks.....

Found 1/2 - 3/4 Lb. Ground Chuck......

And I made a Pound Cake...believe it or not. I was wishing for a Sarah Lee kind a cake....and I found a S L Recipe on that site called Copycat something or other...

I cut the steaks in small pieces like those triangle corn chips,and I don't know what they call them. Toastito chips or something like that.

Anyway....

I breaded them and fried them. They were crisp and crunchy like a potato chip. I Used oregano / salt / and garlic paste in the seasonings.....
They make a nice appetizer, and would be great if I had some nice marinara sauce or a garlic cheese creamed sauce to dip.

PoundCakeandSteakChips006_zpsa88753a7.jpg

SOoooo...Then I made some "Finger Meatballs" Fried nice and Crisp and oval / flat so that they can be just picked up with the fingers, and nibbled on. Again...A dipping sauce would be great!

PoundCakeandSteakChips008_zps3379af5a.jpg

PoundCakeandSteakChips009_zps865b039d.jpg

Then...I made the pound cake. Nice dense light texture. Flavor was great & Not Too sweet...But NOT moist enough; and I attribute that to the recipe's setting the oven temperature to 325ºF for 45 minutes.
Nah!....Will add more butter next time, and reduce the oven temp to 300ºF for 1 hour or till done. ( Knife stab & come out clean test. )
Don't worry! I love buttered and fried Pound Cake! Ummmmm!!

PoundCakeandSteakChips003_zps393a84c2.jpg

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Man, those finger meatballs look yummy to me. We made a chicken sweet and sour concoction last night over rice. The apple cider vinegar gave it a bit tangy taste but the pineapple was great. Thinking of trying to grill today as we are to warm up a bit before temps dive again. I really have been craving a good grilled steak for a while. It sure won't be grilling weather for a while with temps struggling to even hit 20 next week.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
A box of tissues, a box of cold pills, a box of tea bags, a 1/2 dozen lemons and honey later and my cold is letting up a bit.

Made a quickie chicken soup last night so that's dinner for today also. Hoping to make a pot of meatballs and gravy tomorrow.

Embryodad

Just made DW a small omelet and toast. She didn't even eat as much as a mouse would eat.

I think it will be the soup I made 2 days ago for sometime in this day of pain and misery. LOL

I am going to make a marinara sauce for tomorrow. I /we like it better when it sits a day. I'm wishing for a recipe that this lady Jennie made that lived next door to us when we were kids. She used tomatoes crushed fine, and sauce and paste..and seasoned with ground powdered fennel seeds. She then added a tsp. of fresh mentha. I don't have fresh and only dried...so that will be it.

Now...I am with Tina's cold...but I have ways and old remedies that I use for relief. Starting with a 1/4 tsp. of Vicks Vaporub that I swallow and chase with a hot cup of tea...and three aspirins..and bundle up.

It's working so far. LOL

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
That food looks great Jimmy. I hope you and Tina feel better soon.

Hoping I will feel well enough to make meatballs and gravy tomorrow. Now I really want meatballs after seeing yours.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
We had Fried pork steaks and vegetable fried rice, followed by bread & butter pudding - made special by using a spiced pannetone and scattered chunks of dairy milk chocolate in the middle.

Embryodad

That food looks great Jimmy. I hope you and Tina feel better soon.

Hoping I will feel well enough to make meatballs and gravy tomorrow. Now I really want meatballs after seeing yours.
Ha Ha Ha Ha ... Thanks peep... You feel better too!

I'm making a small pot of Sauce. I toasted the fennel seed, and ground it fine.
Same with the mint leaves. We , or at least shall I say, I will have it tomorrow.
I can only cook for them. I can't make them eat! LOL

Embryodad

We had Fried pork steaks and vegetable fried rice, followed by bread & butter pudding - made special by using a spiced pannetone and scattered chunks of dairy milk chocolate in the middle.
OOoooo! Ray! Pork Steaks Rule! ... So moist and flavorful!

Rice is great to go with it. Good Choice!

((Jimmy))

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Make-ahead meal of german sausage/potato/sauerkraut soup for later in the week. Tonight will be chicken parmesan :smile:

Last edited:

Embryodad

Chicken Soup with little meatballs.
A small piece of a hoagie.

It was nice to just eat on the newspaper for a placemat. I hate those placemats. I spill and drop a lot of food, and Those placemats get soiled and are a waste on water and soap cleaning them.

soupsupper002_zpscf334dac.jpg

Tina...I served her in her sick @$$ fart sack bed, a bowl special K's with bannana and milk.
rolleyes.gif
LOL...

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've never heard of that kind of soup RM but it sure looks GOOD!

Mighty tasty dinner you got there Jimmy!

We had tuna salad sandwiches with tomato soup here. Nothing exciting so I didn't take any pics.