What's cookin' TGIF, Friday, July 22?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
We're having company for dinner tonight, and I'm roasting some salmon this morning to use in a salade nicoise. Also making some cold cucumber/dill soup and a lemon icebox pie. EVERYTHING cold and refreshing tonight. What's up with you?

homecook

All I've got working so far are ABT's and tomato, zucchini, Feta, pasta salad. It's another hot and humid day so there may not be anything else.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Now that you mention it, salad nicoise sounds good to me. I'm still not sure yet.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
We'll be having company for dinner also. Roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and broccoli are on the menu along with berry cobbler and homemade ice cream.

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Throwing some SBR sauce on last night's pork roast and calling it pulled pork sammies. Gotta pick up some Grandma's Cole Slaw to go with it, and more cuke/tomato & onion salad.

Embryodad

DW took her friend Lorrie for lunch for her Birthday. She came back with practically a whole meatloaf and gravy on white / with mashed garlic taters.
I guess that's Her supper for tonight. ( Her Favorite meal)

I guess I will have to ponder here a bit. I thinking maybe some breaded shrimp..??..or steamed dumplings and fried rice from the takeout place??

Had a liverwurst sammie and a beer for lunch, and I'm still burping that.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
For a time that everyone told me would be slow, we've been slammin' for days! I'm not cooking a damn thing tonight!
Vag...ah...Verablue, out!:whistle:

it's cocktail time!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i can't think of a thing i'm hungry for.
wait, i have freeze-pops. those should work, for tonite. it's 115 here- i think i found this pool i've searched 4 finally. though, this being PA, there was a storm for 5 minutes, now it's sunshine again. oh, i wannna live in alaska for 6 months a year!

Last edited:

Nancy-MD

Sounds like everyone is frying.........whew, it's so hot.

Our dinner tonight -

Attachments

• shrimp quinoa brown rice 004.jpg
    shrimp quinoa brown rice 004.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 142

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
luvs, I've gotten calls from my husband and both kids saying they cannot believe it's hotter back east than it is in New Orleans!! Here's a picture that can cool you off

SummerNewOrleans2011003.jpg

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
luvs, I've gotten calls from my husband and both kids saying they cannot believe it's hotter back east than it is in New Orleans!! Here's a picture that can cool you off

SummerNewOrleans2011003.jpg
vera, i kid u not, i tried to get jake to buy me a (much, much sturdier) pool for the living room, though he refused due to its impractibility
we've not experienced weather here like this since, from my understanding,1914! i was shocked watching that my section was being hit like this as opposed to southern states, & thew states over 2 the west

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I just have to 'fess up about my dinner tonight. Do you feel a long-winded story coming on?

When you move to Florida, you have to do several things: buy a generator; buy storm shutters; stock up a 'hurricane shelf". The storm shelf includes canned foods that can be eaten as is in an emergency. It's not necessary to cook them, nor add water (which may not be safe), nor do any prep which includes fresh ingredients or needs electricity. Things like canned tuna and canned baked beans fill the bill very well.

Every June, at the start of the storm season, you stock your shelf with a week's worth of food, plenty of bottled water, candles, etc. etc. Every spring, the postal workers do a canned food drive for the County food bank. In our house, we clean out the storm shelf of all the cans and give them to the postal workers. Then in June, we re-stock the shelf. We've been doing it for years - never eat the beans or the canned tuna, but we always donate it in the spring and buy more in June. Works for us.

Well, by 8:00 tonight I still hadn't started dinner. I just couldn't get motivated. So........................

You guessed it. We raided the storm shelf. Bush's barbeque beans. There were some Nathan's hot dogs in the freezer. (SousChef bought them because I won't let her have them). We cut up the hotdogs and cooked them in the beans. I hadn't had beans & franks since my mother died, and that was 1967! I can't believe we ate it, and I can't believe I'm telling you!

The biggest joke was during the process. I started cutting up the hotdogs, and I asked SousChef to open the can of beans. She opened the utensil drawer and just stood there looking. Eventually, I reached over and pointed to the can opener. She looked up and said, "It's been so long since we used it that I forgot what it looked like!)

Oh well, tomorrow we'll have the firecracker shrimp.

homecook

We've had 9 days straight of 90 degree weather or better with a heat index of 105-110. We did get a 30 minute thunderstorm tonight. lol

Everyone sounds like they're having wonderful dinners tonight. Nancy, your dinner looks great!

We had smoked ABT's, pasta salad w/tomatoes, zucchini and Feta cheese, and BLT's. It was just enough.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 114

Norm

I THOUGHT I had a lot of corned beef so I froze half but the other half got eaten so quickly that I thawed the other half and made Rueben sandwiches today.

Embryodad

We've had 9 days straight of 90 degree weather or better with a heat index of 105-110. We did get a 30 minute thunderstorm tonight. lol

Everyone sounds like they're having wonderful dinners tonight. Nancy, your dinner looks great!

We had smoked ABT's, pasta salad w/tomatoes, zucchini and Feta cheese, and BLT's. It was just enough.
Thyey look great!

I really had to google what ABT's meant..LOL..

I love them already, and I never heard of them.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mama, your dinner sounds wonderful - hope you got some pictures. My company tonight was very understanding while I took pictures!
Nancy, your shrimp dinner has my mouth watering, and we just ate!
Barb, your dinner looks delicious - I love those ABTs.
Vera - is that your pool? I used to kick my kids out of their little wading pool when they were little and it was hot. The neighbor and I would sit in the kiddie pool and drink a nice cold beer - probably scarred my poor children for life!
SS - I love your story, thanks for sharing it with us. Sounds darned good, actually.
Luvs - I hope you ate more than freeze-pops for dinner!

We started our meal with a cold cucumber/dill/yogurt soup with pepperoncinis, then had salmon salade nicoise and lemon icebox pie...this picture would not upload, so I'll try again tomorrow. We all LOVED this pie - I'll post the recipe for you later tonight or tomorrow. Simple to make and so good. Our company has left, and I may go eat some more.:piesmiley1:

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 128

homecook

Thanks Karen...

And you outdid yourself with that meal! It looks so good and refreshing for this kind of weather! :applause:

Embryodad

Geepers...forgot to post.....
Had a salad and a chipped ham and cheese Grilled cheese.

Temp dropped from a high of 96.7º at 5:45....to 81.3º at 11:30 P ...

Got one more day of 90's.....and tomorrow..No cooking.
GD's Graduation party at the Independence Twp. firehouse Hall ( A/C cooled thank God).
Only thing is it's a lunch thing...like 1:00 oclock..till ..??

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I did grilled Top Sirloin Filets, foil pack Sugar Snap Peas with Mushrooms and White wine (on the grill), and Vermicelli with Olive Oil and Herbs.

Attachments

• step9b.jpg
    step9b.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 117

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I am a slacker, I had a margarita, chips, salsa and some really nice guacamole. Simple, but was very un-inspired, tired, hot and cranky.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
That pool pictured above was purchased for a party Lou and I had here for Memorial Day. I invited my staff and their families for an outdoor picnic/bbq. Their children played in the pool all afternoon. End of the day, I told one of the staff members they could have the pool. Lou deflated it and took it to the restaurant. Barbara took it home and reinflated it. It practically killed her. So now it sits, completely inflated, in her living room. When she has time, she carries it downstairs and out to the yard, fills it; and places her grandson in the pool. When finished, it goes back into the living room. Apparently, she doesn't trust her neighbours not to steal it.

I did try it out, however. Slide part didn't work for me...:drink2:

GotGarlic

I had a difficult week at work, so DH and I went out to eat last night, at a casual Middle Eastern restaurant. We had stuffed grape leaves, then he had seafood kebabs (with shrimp and scallops) and I had salmon kebabs. I love their seasoning - they have a wonderful flavor. Both dinners come with salad, a skewer of grilled veggies, basmati rice, hummus and pita. Good stuff.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
That pool pictured above was purchased for a party Lou and I had here for Memorial Day. I invited my staff and their families for an outdoor picnic/bbq. Their children played in the pool all afternoon. End of the day, I told one of the staff members they could have the pool. Lou deflated it and took it to the restaurant. Barbara took it home and reinflated it. It practically killed her. So now it sits, completely inflated, in her living room. When she has time, she carries it downstairs and out to the yard, fills it; and places her grandson in the pool. When finished, it goes back into the living room. Apparently, she doesn't trust her neighbours not to steal it.

I did try it out, however. Slide part didn't work for me...:drink2:

hehe-
there's a public pool not 5 minutes from here. i'm kinda being a 'fraidy-cat w/ the intermittent storms so i have yet 2 get there.
i really want a pool for the main living room. w/ a bucket, despite the some effort dragging h2o from tub to living room, living room to tub- then covering it @ nite so tig & sharlie-girl babbit won't drink it, & i shall have my own 'lil pool when ther're closed, may take a few ice cubes. 'eh. don't mind that.:mrgreen:i'm 30, though nary ashamed of a wading pool in my living room when it's summertime., lemme say!!!!!

Last edited:

Embryodad

hehe-
there's a public pool not 5 minutes from here. i'm kinda being a 'fraidy-cat w/ the intermittent storms so i have yet 2 get there.
i really want a pool for the main living room. w/ a bucket, despite the some effort dragging h2o from tub to living room, living room to tub- then covering it @ nite so tig & sharlie-girl babbit won't drink it, & i shall have my own 'lil pool when ther're closed, may take a few ice cubes. 'eh. don't mind that.:mrgreen:i'm 30, though nary ashamed of a wading pool in my living room when it's summertime., lemme say!!!!!
luvs....

DD is 33..and she has a little wading pool. When she comes over...she fills it 1/2 way, and lays in it on the back porch. When it gets dirty...she just flips the edge down, and all the poopy water comes out. Then she refills it....LOL

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
luvs....

DD is 33..and she has a little wading pool. When she comes over...she fills it 1/2 way, and lays in it on the back porch. When it gets dirty...she just flips the edge down, and all the poopy water comes out. Then she refills it....LOL

hehe. cute. i adore those multi-tiered ones- i'd hafta shop-vac the pool, though- my porch is sorta insignificant.. hm. i'll make ex inflate it for me. glad i ain't alone on this one. lol!