I've re-discovered oatmeal!

suziquzie

I never cared for it, probably because my mom would just give it to us plain w/ no goodies in it..... but' I've been on a kick ever since my brother brought a can of steel-cut for New Years breakfast.... YUM!

I was also reading in my Cooking Light magazine about how great they are for you.... no matter the type. I knew they were..... just needed a reminder I suppose. Great article with some good ideas for mix-ins.

I'm just having regular old-fashioned today...... steel-cut not in this weeks budget..... a little milk, cinnamon, raisins and some maple syrup. :a1:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I do it the easy way with the instant microwave oats - usually Oats so simple

High Cheese

Saucier
porridge
lol.gif

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I think I might try eating oatmeal regularly. My brother lost a lot of weight on his new diet, and he starts off every morning with a bowl of oatmeal. I've got a programmable rice cooker with a porridge setting that will have it hot and ready for me in the morning! Mmmm, hot porridge!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually love the stuff and always have especially this time of year when it is cold. I don't think I've ever had it made in any fashion that I didn't like but there is possible one out there.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I never did like the “real” stuff that comes in the round cardboard container.

But I always loved this stuff: Instant Apples & Cinnamon! :lol:

29wa460.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is what I had this morning Keltin. I like the one in the round box but needs the additions to it like the Apples & Cinnamon.

buckytom

Grill Master
I wanna have breakfast with BT.

you're welcome anytime, f-mom, you know that!

actually, i'm sure more than a few guys who have gone camping have had beer in their oatmeal. nothin' like it when you're trying to get last night's fire started again on a cold morning. hair o' the dog, plus all the health benefits of oats.

it works great making lentil soup from a dehydrated mix, too!

suziquzie

hmmmmm I'm thinking this mornings' toasted almonds, dried cranberries, cinnamon and maple syrup concoction was STILL much better.... as much as I like my beer.... :D

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Well I bought some steel cut oats, but I forgot to put them in the rice cooker last night! LOL! I will definitely make some for tomorrow!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Yay for you!! Steel cut oats are the best.
Soak them the night before to speed the cooking if you desire, or to use in pancake or waffle batter.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Oatmeal cooked with water, milk, brown sugar and raisins. Topped with a pat of butter, 1/2 & 1/2 and a drizzle of maple syrup.YUM!!

oatmeal-1.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Yay for you!! Steel cut oats are the best.
Soak them the night before to speed the cooking if you desire, or to use in pancake or waffle batter.

Thanks! I went out for cocktails last night, so I didn't get to soak the oats overnight. I did make them this morning, and they were a bit runny. Maybe the overnight soak will fix that. I have a programmable rice maker with a porridge cycle, so I don't have to worry about cooking time. I just "set it and forget it!" ;)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks! I went out for cocktails last night, so I didn't get to soak the oats overnight. I did make them this morning, and they were a bit runny. Maybe the overnight soak will fix that. I have a programmable rice maker with a porridge cycle, so I don't have to worry about cooking time. I just "set it and forget it!" ;)
whats the make and model? sounds great!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a bowl of Quaker Oats oatmeal today for the first time in a year or so. I tried it with maple syrup and blueberries for the 1st time ever. ummmmm good stuff.
Thanks for the idea. :thumb:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
whats the make and model? sounds great!!

I've got the Zojirushi neuro-fuzzy 10 cup. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC18-10-Cup-Cooker-Premium/dp/B000A7NN4I/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1263676645&sr=8-13[/ame]

If I did it again I would have gotten the 5 cup, but I don't think there is any overall size difference.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That's amazing, Dave! I've never even heard of a spurtle before, and now I have to have one. I've been a steel cut oats convert for a couple of years now, but I've just been using a big spoon. :ohmy:

The link is great. I've always wanted to go to Scotland - my great grandfather's name was Samuel Angus Barnett so I'm thinking he was a Scot. The World Porridge Making Contest might be a fun thing to attend.

oakview

Yeah, the first time I heard the word spurtle, I thought it was some obscene reference. Now that I have one, the oats seem to taste mo betta! Dunno, must be a Scottish something in the wood :rolleyes:

Been eatin' oats for years, mostly because they're cheap, good food. Oats have quite a history in Scotland. I heard the real William Wallace (Braveheart) used to take a block of cold oats with him whilst he was wuppin' up on the English. Lotta good fuel in them there oats. :D

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I like mine with raisins, 5 add them to the water or milk before the oats, finish with more milk to warm and add Penzey's cinnamon and sugar