Rose wine?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I haven't had a glass of rose wine since I bought some Mateus in college, mainly because I wanted to use the bottle to burn candles in. Pretty sweet.

Just saw on TV that rose wines are coming back, and that there are some lovely DRY varieties, which interests me.

Any suggestions?

Lee

Johnny West

Funny you should bring this up as since I've reintroduced wine into my diet I've been drinking rose. Like you, I was drinking rose back in college days, mostly Alexis Lachine. His kids ran the company into the ground and it's no longer made.

Right now I'm drinking a Spanish rose called Actum which is dry and quite good with last night's chicken and tonight's prawns. It's in the 8.5 dollar range.

http://spanishwine-nodus.com/product-detail/actum-rose-wine/

Friday I had a bottle of Domaine LA Rabiotte Rose de Provence, a French product, and it was lighter in colour but flavors and dryness were similar to the Spanish.

Our local WA roses tend to be sweeter which I don't care for. Anyway, the one's I've tried were.

Our friend's went on a canal cruise in France last years and everyone was drinking rose during the day, like water.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, John. Lemme ask you this: do you think rose is as satisfying (don't know how else to explain) to drink as a dry red? Or is it more like white, which I find too lightweight to be satisfying.

I've never had a white wine that I'd try again, so I gave up on it a long time ago.

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thanks, John. Lemme ask you this: do you think rose is as satisfying (don't know how else to explain) to drink as a dry red? Or is it more like white, which I find too lightweight to be satisfying.

I've never had a white wine that I'd try again, so I gave up on it a long time ago.

Lee

White Zin is more of a blush, sort of dry and I consider it on the Rose side.

Johnny West

Then there was Lancer's... I used to get a similar wine like Mateus called Aleanca which was very good. I see it's still available and will try and order some.

Johnny West

Lee

No, it's not like drinking a big red which I drink with steak, ribs, and the like, not to be just sitting around sipping. The rose is is great for a hot day like the way it is at present. I know everyone's tastes are different - I like most all dry wines and can only drink sweet whites with dessert or as an after dinner digestive, then I'd rather have a port or creame sherry.

I like a decent white with the traditional fish dinner or chicken and am happy with pinot gris and sauvignon blanc. With game birds and turkey I prefer a pinot noir.

I just got back from WinCo and they lowered the price on Actum to $7.98 so got two bottles, one to have with tonight's Mediteranian chicken salad.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
generally we prefer whites - it used to be . . . pretty much all whites were tart sour pucky etc etc but altho certain types still tend in that direction many have become not sweet, but have dropped the lemon-pucker factor

red I like - but not the high tannin stuff! a lot merlots are nice and soft - we tend to stay away from forever oak aged tho....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I went to the package store and the manager REALLY knows her wines!

I told her my story about only liking dry reds and about not having a rose since college. She said, "These are not your father's roses", LOL!

She recommended two of the darker roses, so I bought them both. As Johnny West suggested, I had one of them tonight with Ina Garten's Warm Mushroom Salad http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28145 that medtran posted.

Very nice!

Am enjoying a post-dinner glass, too!

Lee

Attachments

• Rose tavel.JPG
    Rose tavel.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 293

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John, this one was even better!

I will get another bottle of this, Chinon.

Lee

Attachments

• Chinon rose.JPG
    Chinon rose.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 273

Johnny West

We have a lot of French rose's in the local Total Wine and More. I'll look and see if it's offered. I got a French one the other day but haven't tried it yet. I did have one tonight that was from Eugene, OR made from pinot noir grapes but wasn't wowed. I like the cheaper Spanish one better.

There is a sale for the long weekend and will see about getting a six pack.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I haven't had any wine in quite awhile. I do like a nice dry White Zinfandel Rosé. I will have to get a bottle soon.

Johnny West

BTW, I'm back to the rose. Right now I'm drinking a Mr. Pink, a Columbia Valley wine that is excellent but a bit pricey at T-Boys. I also got some Saint Michelle for 8 bucks a bottle that's very good, as well. I think the later will be my summertime wine.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
there is this non-vino-- angry orchard rose-- call me smitten-- i luv that so-

i luv valpolicella too--

Last edited: