Tortilla Chips

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Easy way to make tortilla chips.

Buy a bag of corn tortillas, and cut them into 4-6 slices. With a moderately sharp knife you can just push through the whole stack.

corntortillas8451817847.jpg

Deep fry them in 350 deg. vegetable oil until they just start to change color (about 5 minutes).

Put them into a paper bag, sprinkle with salt, and shake the bag.

Wah-lah, you have tortilla chips!

There are a few advantages to making your own. You can freeze the tortillas and have them on hand any time. You can add as much or as little salt as you want. No broken chips. The ones I make are slightly thicker, and tend to hold up to dipping much better than the bag varieties.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I don't know why I never thought of this but it sounds wonderful! My favorite Mexican restaurants are the ones with the thicker chips. I will try this tonight. Thanks, Robsan!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Always did it that way and they are much better than the bagged stuff for sure.

lilylove

And... you can add any flavors that you'd like! Great idea!!

Now..if I weren't afraid of oil and propane stoves! lol!!

chowhound

Good post, Rob, thanks.
I've got some tort shells that have been sitting in the fridge taking up space too long. Gonna try this tonight.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Good post, Rob, thanks.
I've got some tort shells that have been sitting in the fridge taking up space too long. Gonna try this tonight.

Yep, the tortillas I use for enchiladas come in bags of about 30, and I usually need just 12. The rest I heat up and eat with butter, or turn them into chips...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I do these exactly like you do! It's a great way to use up tortillas before they go bad, and the chips are great. You control the salt and flavor, so hands down better than bagged.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I use to fry them for tacos too, just enough to soften them and drain on paper towels. Too greasy for me now, but, oh they were SO good. I will have to try these!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
i used to make those all the time for my kids when they were little and the just loved them. i've even sprinkled them with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar... yummy!

chowhound

Hah. Wouldn't you know my torts were wheat flour (lol). I fried them up anyway, but obviously something was missing. Still, they fixed my chip craving and used up something I had.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
we do these very similar but bake them instead(for those times when DW is going on a diet..lol)

preheat oven to 400

spray cooking spray on a cookie sheet

cut up just like RobsanX does

measure about a tablespoon of cooking oil

using your finger, wipe some of the oil on the tortilla pieces

lay tortilla pieces on cooking sheet in a single layer

sprinkle with cajun seasoning.

bake on one side until the edges start to brown (watch carefully because they will burn) flip and continue until they are almost looking like doritos.

let cool and eat

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've done this to make sinfully delicious crispy nachos, Rob.'

I also like to take a large flour tortilla and fry it in oil, then take it out and put it in a large bowl with papertowels to drain.

It takes on the shape of the bowl while cooling... perfect for a taco salad bowl.