What's cooking NCT Sunday 9/30/12 - Saturday 10/6/12?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
No one started this weeks dinner thread so I guess I will.

Pan-fried cube steaks, mashed red potatoes (in jackets, ground sea salt, ground peppercorns, sour cream and butter) and broccoli rabe

093012_cube_steak_broccoli_rabe_P1090638.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That looks wonderful Peepers! Thanks for starting the thread!

I made fried shrimp, broccoli, corn on the cob and biscuits. Too hungry for pics :lol:

Embryodad

Tina Baby cooked a country vegetable soup that comes in a bag. She got it when she was in Lancaster,PA .

She just added carrots diced, and potatoes. I liked it because it wasn't as thick as the last time she made it.

I had it with 1/2 a loaf of French bread and butter............:readytoeat:

CountrySoup004_zps79fe4fa3.jpg

CountrySoup006_zps28069d58.jpg

Had to wait for the warmed up bread to melt the butter which was ice cold from the fridge!

Then she made Carmelized onions and Cabbage!

CountrySoup002_zpsf7bc337c.jpg

That I didn't eat too much of! Montezumas Revenge :yum:

Not about to chance it!! :sad:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i boiled baby potato (the bagged kind w/ several types of potato), made frozen veggies, then made a pseudo-gravy w/ canned cream of mushroom soup, thinned w/ half a can of milk.
fork-smashed the potato post-pic. meant to put squeaky cheese in the soup, as the squeak has gone. (shoulda returned the cheese- it's new, was unopened, & expiration is the 31st. of december, not this month.)

Attachments

• IMG_1245652.jpg
    IMG_1245652.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Peeps, nice looking din-din. Jimmy, you must be Lipitor's #1 patient with that stick of butter. :yum: The zuppa looks great and I could eat a pail full of the onions & cabbage.

Neither of us cared if we had any meat for dinner (like Jimmy & Tina Mommy), so since we stopped at a roadside vegetable stand this afternoon, dinner was easy to make. I baked a local grown spaghetti squash then seasoned it with butter, brown sugar and some fresh ground pepper. I boiled some small, fresh picked redskins, then cut and pan fried them in EVOO, butter ,Italian seasoning mix, seasoned bread crumbs, salt & pepper and grated Parmesan cheese. The broccoli and corn were steamed then buttered, and DW put together a salad of tomato, cukes, red onion and Italian dressing. We were stuffed, and there are enough potatoes and squash to use as side dishes for tomorrow's dinner.

Dinner093012.jpg

Embryodad

Looks so good Joe. Why is it potatoes always look and taste better when someone else makes them.

My DIL makes broiled then baked red skinned and cubed taters that are so darn good. I make em, and they are Blahh !!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Looks so good Joe. Why is it potatoes always look and taste better when someone else makes them.

My DIL makes broiled then baked red skinned and cubed taters that are so darn good. I make em, and they are Blahh !!
Here's how I make mine:

Cube your potatoes and boil in salted water until almost fork tender. In a covered fry pan put some butter and olive oil, and when it gets hot dump in the drained potatoes. Season with salt & pepper. I then use an Italian blend of spices in a jar that include chives, dehydrated garlic & onion, thyme, parsley, oregano, basil & paprika. I then sprinkle in seasoned bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese. I then cover the pan over medium heat and open it only to turn the taters about every 5 minutes until they are nice and browned.

When they are finished I like to sprinkle with some Frank's Hot Sauce, or Italian salad dressing. Either one is good with me.

Embryodad

Here's how I make mine:

Cube your potatoes and boil in salted water until almost fork tender. In a covered fry pan put some butter and olive oil, and when it gets hot dump in the drained potatoes. Season with salt & pepper. I then use an Italian blend of spices in a jar that include chives, dehydrated garlic & onion, thyme, parsley, oregano, basil & paprika. I then sprinkle in seasoned bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese. I then cover the pan over medium heat and open it only to turn the taters about every 5 minutes until they are nice and browned.

When they are finished I like to sprinkle with some Frank's Hot Sauce, or Italian salad dressing. Either one is good with me.
Sounds Great....

Thank you Joe! ...

The way I have been making them, was cubing seasoning and sprinkle w olive oil..then in the oven to bake at 350º.

Problem is they come out too dry.

I will try the JoeV Way. Again...thanks!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Sounds Great....

Thank you Joe! ...

The way I have been making them, was cubing seasoning and sprinkle w olive oil..then in the oven to bake at 350º.

Problem is they come out too dry.

I will try the JoeV Way. Again...thanks!!
I also do not allow my potatoes to drain dry after boiling. I dump the tater water out quickly and toss the taters right into the readied pan of butter and oil. It spits and splatters a little bit because of the excess water, but it gets over it soon. KEEP THE LID ON WHILE PAN FRYING. This helps retain the moisture in the pan and the taters. When you take off the lid, let the condensed steam from under the lid drain into the pan before putting the lid to the side.

Embryodad

I also do not allow my potatoes to drain dry after boiling. I dump the tater water out quickly and toss the taters right into the readied pan of butter and oil. It spits and splatters a little bit because of the excess water, but it gets over it soon. KEEP THE LID ON WHILE PAN FRYING. This helps retain the moisture in the pan and the taters. When you take off the lid, let the condensed steam from under the lid drain into the pan before putting the lid to the side.

Thanks for the extra tips / method Joe!

Yep! that's why mine were always dry. I cooked them in the oven Un-covered!...
I understand the lid / water / salvage. Sounds very important!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Last night's leftover veggies, cuke & 'mater salad and some chicken booby grilled in the George Foreman and topped with some Sweet Baby Ray's. Fruit medley for dessert.

Dinner100112-1.jpg

Dinner100112-2.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Awesome colors, LS. Mow, please move aside while I relieve you of those deviled eggs....

Embryodad

Surprise!!!!!

I feel like I went Trick or Treat already!

Wolved down the sandwich, so no pic of that.

Dessert..... YUM!

SKREMES003_zps4f1c9a79.jpg

SKREMES004_zpsc031fa2d.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Looks great guys and gals!
Jimmy, you and your Krispy Kremes.. or in this case, 'Skremes lol

Stopped at the grocery store on the way to work today and bought 3 pkgs of the Oscar Mayer Carving Board turkey breast (this is real sliced turkey, not the processed thin crap), 2 tubs of Philly cream cheese and 2 cans of whole cranberry sauce, and some sandwich thins.

Also some deli mac salad and a large bag of Lays potato chips.
Enough to make sandwiches and feed the hungry and overworked on the west side.
All were fed and pleased.

Embryodad

Looks great guys and gals!
Jimmy, you and your Krispy Kremes.. or in this case, 'Skremes lol

Stopped at the grocery store on the way to work today and bought 3 pkgs of the Oscar Mayer Carving Board turkey breast (this is real sliced turkey, not the processed thin crap), 2 tubs of Philly cream cheese and 2 cans of whole cranberry sauce, and some sandwich thins.

Also some deli mac salad and a large bag of Lays potato chips.
Enough to make sandwiches and feed the hungry and overworked on the west side.
All were fed and pleased.
Sass.... it's a good thing K K's is an hour and 20 minutes from us, or we would not be able to fit through the door.
As it is, we try and keep them in the back room so they are not readily in easy sight. As it is now...my mind is on the powdered jelly doughnut.

Tina said the girl made them special for her, added extra jelly and added extra powdered sugar.

Your sandwiches sound great. Tina buys the Oscar Mayer for that same reason that they are real slices of turkey, and not reconstituted loafs.

Embryodad

Just Gonna Call it...Meal For The Day!

"Pasta e Fagioli" ...... Cooked By "Tinamommy!"
biggrin.gif

PASTAEFAGIOLE002_zps3a927ce7.jpg

A....Whole....Gallon..Of It!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
A gallon isn't that much, Jimmy. My Pasta e Fagioli recipe makes a gallon of soup, and costs me about $15 to make (It's a modified knock-off from Olive Garden). It's jsut about time to make it again, but I need to open some freezer space to store it. It won't help that I'm making about 1-1/2 gallons of marinara tomorrow.:yum:

Tonight I had a taste for pizza, so I made a double batch of olive oil dough using 1/3 stone ground whole wheat flour. Really great flavor to the crust. Topped it with my marinara sauce, sweet Hungarian pepper rings, red onion slices and lots of fresh grated Mozzarella. DW made the salad and there were no prisoners taken.

Dinner100212-1.jpg

Dinner100212-2.jpg

Dinner100212-3.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
omg, that pizza is lovely,Joe.
Didn't take a pic of my din din.. too busy doing other things, like calling a plumber lol

Embryodad

A gallon isn't that much, Jimmy. My Pasta e Fagioli recipe makes a gallon of soup, and costs me about $15 to make (It's a modified knock-off from Olive Garden). It's jsut about time to make it again, but I need to open some freezer space to store it. It won't help that I'm making about 1-1/2 gallons of marinara tomorrow.:yum:

Tonight I had a taste for pizza, so I made a double batch of olive oil dough using 1/3 stone ground whole wheat flour. Really great flavor to the crust. Topped it with my marinara sauce, sweet Hungarian pepper rings, red onion slices and lots of fresh grated Mozzarella. DW made the salad and there were no prisoners taken.

Dinner100212-1.jpg

Dinner100212-2.jpg

Dinner100212-3.jpg

SO !!... "YOU" had a taste for pizza huh Joe?
Thanks, because after the looks of that pizza.....you gave ME & Tina a taste for pizza ! LOL

The pasta fagioli recipe you posted sounds good Joe!
Tina just made the "No Meat Friday Kind" from Dom Delouise' recipe. Its a fast and simple one, and she has different ones with meat.

My Gram made it even with fresh chopped and fried sardines in it.

Embryodad

omg, that pizza is lovely,Joe.
Didn't take a pic of my din din.. too busy doing other things, like calling a plumber lol
Gee Sass, after that plumber finishes, you'll be eating canned tuna and crackers for a few days! .....

I got a better idea. Go to the plumbers house for dinner! LOL

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Jimmy, I was walking in water on the bathroom floor, not a lot.. just enough to notice.
Turns out the seal (the ring) under the john needed replaced.
Thank the Lord I know a plumber personally from church.
He came right over and fixed it lickety split.. but had to put up with Gretchen wanting to investigate while he was doing it.
Had to put her in her kennel cab.
I think he was kind in what he charged.
$120 total.
That's good, right?

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Tina Baby cooked a country vegetable soup that comes in a bag. She got it when she was in Lancaster,PA .

She just added carrots diced, and potatoes. I liked it because it wasn't as thick as the last time she made it.

I had it with 1/2 a loaf of French bread and butter............:readytoeat:

CountrySoup004_zps79fe4fa3.jpg

CountrySoup006_zps28069d58.jpg

Had to wait for the warmed up bread to melt the butter which was ice cold from the fridge!

Then she made Carmelized onions and Cabbage!

CountrySoup002_zpsf7bc337c.jpg

That I didn't eat too much of! Montezumas Revenge :yum:

Not about to chance it!! :sad:

Looks yummy!!!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
i boiled baby potato (the bagged kind w/ several types of potato), made frozen veggies, then made a pseudo-gravy w/ canned cream of mushroom soup, thinned w/ half a can of milk.
fork-smashed the potato post-pic. meant to put squeaky cheese in the soup, as the squeak has gone. (shoulda returned the cheese- it's new, was unopened, & expiration is the 31st. of december, not this month.)

attachment.php

Looks great!