Prosciutto bread

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I have served this with an oven dried tomato pesto, butter, marinara sauce, and a cannellini bean pesto (Lydia Bastianich). I like it best with the pestos and butter. Craig likes the tomato sauce best, with the oven dried tomato pesto second.

attachment.php

Prosciutto bread (makes 1 loaf, can be doubled easily)

1-1/2 cups (8 1/4 ounces) bread flour
1-7/8 teaspoons active yeast
1/2 tsp salt
4 oz mild lager, room temperature
3 Tbsp water, room temperature
1-1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 oz (1/4-inch-thick) sliced prosciutto , cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 oz (1/4-inch-thick) sliced pepperoni , cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 oz (1/4-inch-thick) sliced hot or sweet capicola, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
4 oz provolone, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
3/4 tsp coarsely ground pepper

Mix beer, water and yeast together in a stand mixer (fitted with a dough hook). Let set until yeast bubbles. Add oil. Then, add flour, then salt. Mix on low speed until a cohesive dough starts to form and no dry flour remains, about 2 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium and knead until dough is smooth and elastic and clears sides of bowl, about 8 minutes.

Reduce speed to low and add provolone, prosciutto, pepperoni, capicola, and pepper. Continue to knead until combined, about 2 minutes longer (some meats and cheese may not be fully incorporated into dough). Transfer dough and any errant pieces of meats and cheese to lightly floured board and knead by hand to evenly incorporate meats and cheese into dough.

Form dough into smooth, round ball and place seam side down in lightly greased large bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let dough rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1½ hours.

Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly dust with cornmeal. Turn out dough onto lightly floured board and gently press down to deflate any large air pockets. Press dough into 8 by 5-inch rectangle with long side parallel to counter's edge. Fold top edge of rectangle down to midline, pressing to seal. Fold bottom edge of rectangle up to midline and pinch to seal. Flip dough seam side down and gently roll into 12-inch loaf with tapered ends. Transfer loaf to 1 prepared baking sheet. Cover with greased plastic and let rise at room temperature until puffy and dough springs back slowly when pressed lightly with your finger, about 45 minutes.

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Using sharp paring knife in swift, fluid motion, make ½-inch-deep lengthwise slash along top of loaf, starting and stopping about 1½ inches from ends. Bake until loaf registers 205 to 210 degrees, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer loaf to wire rack and let cool at least 20 minutes, but longer is fine up to 3 hours. Serve.

TO MAKE AHEAD: Make dough through step 3, form into ball, and place seam side down in lightly greased large bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 16 hours or up to 24 hours. Let dough come to room temperature, about 3 hours, before continuing.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, I would love to jump right into that plate now!

Beautiful, Karen!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thank you Karen.
Would you ever try different cheese or meats? If so what would you try?

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We kind of liked it as is. But, they mentioned on the show that the bread was developed to use up odds and ends in a deli/bakery, so you could use pretty much what you wanted.

marianne

Bread-ho!
This is my first attempt with a stuffed meat and cheese bread. Just started the process - it is snuggled up on its first rise.
I am a tad concerned with the seeming overwhelming quantity of meat/cheese comparative to dough... but I am learning patience is often a virtue... right???!