Chilean Sea Bass

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Preheat oven to 425F

Season with Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning

Place in baking dish with olive oil greasing - I used aluminum foil inside the dish

Bake for 15-20 minutes -- mine was so thick that it took 25 minutes to reach an internal temperature of 140F
SDC12392.jpg
SDC12395.jpg
SDC12396.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Heard so much about this type of fish that I wanted to try it (I must be unintentionally channeling Buzz this week! Hi Buzz!).

Anyway, Whole Foods store had it for $24/lb (!), but as an Amazon Prime member, I get a discount. I asked for a 6 oz. piece and the fish monger cut a sliver that was .45/lbs. for $12. With my Prime discount, it was $8.30. Sheesh.

I adapted the recipe below for the little slice I had. Just browned 4 minutes on the first side, 2 minutes on the second side, then another minute or so spooning the sauce over.

Delicious! Much like haddock, only silkier. Almost melted in my mouth! Not at all fishy.

I'm a believer!

P.S. I saw Gordon Ramsey pan sear chilean sea bass with the skin on, scoring the skin and browning it till crispy. Do any of you do that?

Sea Bass in Caper Sauce

Ingredients

4 skinless sea bass fillets
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves, mashed
1/4 cup capers, strained
1cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
Juice from one lemon
2tablespoons parsley

Directions
Season the fish on both sides with salt and pepper.

Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Fry the fillets on both sides until golden brown.

To prepare the sauce, add the butter, garlic, capers, wine and lemon to a saucepan. Taste for salt and pepper.

When the liquid begins to bubble, lower the heat and add the fillets. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.

Garnish with parsley and serve with rice or tostones.
IMG_6328.JPG

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Wow!
I'm going to try this with cod. Tomorrow is grocery run and I'll have to buy some capers.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I got a piece of this incredible fish on sale (a ridiculous $22/lb instead of a more ridiculous $26/lb!). I cooked it using this Food Network recipe, which was very similar to Gordon Ramsey's recipe above.

Probably the best piece of fish I've ever had! Like butter! I see why it's so sought after!

I wasn't sure if I should keep the skin on or not, but I read that if you cook it correctly, it's crispy and delicious. I cooked it correctly and it WAS! Nice, crispy counterpoint to the buttery flesh of the fish!

Lee

Sauteed Chilean Sea Bass (Food Network)

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour for dredging, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 1/2 to 2 pounds Chilean Sea Bass fillets
4 tablespoons butter/olive oil combination
1 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 tablespoons drained capers

Directions

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
Place flour for dredging in a shallow bowl. Coat each fillet with seasoned flour and shake off excess. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Add butter/olive oil combination. Add the fillets, without crowding. Increase heat to high and saute, shaking the pan from time to time, until the bottom of the fish is nicely browned, about 3 minutes. Turn and brown the other side. Remove fish to a plate and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining fillets.
Deglaze the pan with white wine. Cook, stirring over high heat until reduced by about one-third. Stir in remaining butter and drained capers.
Plate fish and drizzle sauce around each fillet.

Chilean sea bass skin side.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG