Wild rice Mixtures ? segueway from rice steamer thread

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I made a bag of wild rice and white basmati rice in my steamer last week. The kids really liked it, whereas I know they don't want to eat brown rice (it's possible that a fuzzy logic steamer will make it delicious for even my uber picky kids, but until I actually decide on one, buy it, and get them to try it, I'll never know). There's a huge chance that they'll refuse to even taste it. :(

Anyway, I read someplace that wild rice has 30 times the antioxidants (of what, I forget .... ). I was thinking to maybe stick with eating that, althought I know no one eats straight wild rice, right? They all mix it with another variety, don't they ? (I googled this but couldn't figure out the proporations).

So - I appeal to you, the expert cooks - what ratio of wild to white do you use, or do you buy the little already mixed bags like I do ?

If I stick with the bags, I can use my usual steamer.

What do you all think ? And thanks !!! (MY husband wants this settled; he's DREAMING about a rice steamer since I discuss it so much with him !!!!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
People do eat wild rice without any other rice added. The reason for adding other rices to it is that wild rice is extremely expensive. (But I love it!)

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I've only bought dry wild rice once. It came from Minnesota, and it has a VERY strong flavor. I made it 50-50 with white rice, and it was too strong. I think the last time I made it was probably about 10% wild rice. Even that was overpowering, but it didn't knock you down like the 50-50. I don't make it too often, so I can't really remember precise ratios.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I think that's true, Robsan. I am fortunate in that a variety of wild rice grows very near me and it is fairly mild in flavor in comparison to the Minnesota variety. When I have used that, I have soaked it overnight and then added a fair amount of butter to the final product.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Well, the less the amount of wild rice, the less nutritious the dish is .. on the other hand, any amoutn of wild rice I add, I up the nutrition level ....

Any idea what proportion of wild rice to white rice my unfuzzy logic steamer can handle ? I don't want to blow it up - or make something sticky and gross, either.

FryBoy

This site has some good information, and they recommend a 50/50 blend with white or brown rice: http://www.brownielocks.com/wildrice.html

However, I note that they say to cook wild rice in a pot for about 35 to 50 minutes -- that's way too long for white rice, about right for brown. Not sure how that translates to a rice cooker, but I would guess it's the same as brown rice.