Blu-ray 3D Disc Specification Finalized

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
from Avrev.com

3-D Blu-ray players set for expected explosion of 3-D television sales; supports 2-D format

Lucas Mearian

December 17, 2009 (Computerworld) The Blu-ray Disc Association announced today that it has finalized the 3-D Disc Specification, which includes support for the PlayStation 3. The format will be display agnostic, supporting any 3-D television, including LCD and Plasma models.

The news comes less than a week after LG Electronics Inc. announced it expects to ship 400,000 3-D-enabled televisions next year, and 3.4 million in 2011. The market for 3-D television is expected to be a $1.1 billion in 2010. By 2015, it's expected to skyrocket to $15.8 billion, according to market research firm DisplaySearch.

3-D Blu-ray players will project a 1080p image for each eye. Special glasses required for viewing 3-D brings the two images together to create the additional affect of depth.

"From a technological perspective, it is simply the best available platform for bringing 3D into the home," Benn Carr, chairman of the Blu-ray Disk Association 3-D Task Force said in a statement.

The Blu-ray 3-D specification allows PS3 game consoles to play back Blu-ray 3-D content in 3-D. The specification also supports 2-D discs in upcoming 3-D players and allows 2-D playback of Blu-ray 3-D discs on the large installed base of Blu-ray Disc players.

The Blu-ray 3D specification calls for encoding 3D video using the Multiview Video Coding (MVC) codec, an extension to the ITU-T H.264 Advanced Video Coding (AVC) codec currently supported by all Blu-ray Disc players.

MPEG4-MVC compresses both left and right eye views with a typical 50% overhead compared to equivalent 2D content, and can provide full 1080p resolution backward compatibility with current 2D Blu-ray Disc players. The specification also incorporates enhanced graphic features for 3D. These features provide a new experience for users, enabling navigation using 3D graphic menus and displaying 3D subtitles positioned in 3D video.

Victor Matsuda, chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association Global Promotions Committee, said that in 2009 movie goers showed an overwhelming preference for 3-D when presented with the option of 3-D or 2-D.

"We believe this demand for 3-D content will carry over into the home now that we have, in Blu-ray Disc, a medium that can deliver a quality Full HD 3-D experience to the living room," Matsuda said in a statement.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._pm_2009-12-17

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

There is nothing "niche" about the millions of people who will be enjoying their 3-D version of UP, ToyStory, Corline, and Avatar on their home cinema over the next few years. The reason is that we finally have a 3-D spec that is fully backwards compatible... all 3-D discs will play in 2-D players so folks will begin collecting 3-D software even before they know what it is. There will be legacy means to enjoy (non full-fidelity) 3-D on current systems as with the PS3 as well as full-blown 3-D displays for those who wish to make a larger investement. This means that anyone with a PS3 will be able to enjoy 3-D in some form on their current display depending on their display's capabilities and their preferences. I have a feeling that anyone walking into a best buy seeing a demo of Avatar in 1080p 3-D on a new 3-D set will make it their priority to convince their significant other that their current HDTV needs to get moved to the bedroom to make way for a new 3-D set in the home-theater... as soon as finances permit of course.

most folks, including many skeptcis in HT forums like this, still think of 3-D using those horrible red/blue glasses or from some theme park ride where pies fly out into the crowd. Real 3-D, and tastefully done, simply provides real depth perception to the film, which enhances realism and emotional involvement. UP and Avatar are 2 great examples of 3-D done right, and anyone who's seen them done right can't rightfully think of a flat 2-D version as fully expressing the director's intended experience. as more and more movie enthusiasts experience 3-D done right, their attitude will change. Good 3-D enhances a film in the same way that mutli-channel audio or color brings new expressive tools to the artist's palette.

3-D will not dramatically increase the cost of new hardware either: the complexity to add 3-D to a 240 Hz LCD TV is basically nothing more than HDMI 1.4 and the abiltiy to sync with LCD glasses... the cost of 3-D displays will not be insurmountable even for "that sounds sort of cool" consumers who aren't 3-D diehards who are in the market for a new television or 3-D player.

Now that the spec if finalized, rest assured that 3-D is coming to sports. It won't be surprizing if this upcoming Olympics is presented in 3-D 1080p. Sports will usher in a whole new group of 3-D consumers as well.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
My kids went to see Avatar with the 3-D glasses and they said it was very cool. The mom in me is thinking "Crap - now I'll have to try and keep up with a whole bunch of 3-D glasses".

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well thankfully this craze will pass me by, one eye no 3D. See there is a silver lining to everything and think of the money I will save but sticking with plain old High Definition.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
3D makes me barf!! literally!! it just turn my tummy and gives me a headache

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My only experience with 3D was as a very young kid with 3D comic books. I had already lost my left eye buy the time of the first 3D movies. I did view one at Disney World with my grandkids but not with the glasses so the picture seemed a bit fuzzy to me.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OMG - I never thought about that but yeah - the 3D glasses wouldn't work if you don't have both eyes.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I remember as a kid sneaking into an Xrated movie with my friend. It was Swinging Stewardesses and it was in 3D. We snuck in in the middle and it was really blurry til we found some of the glasses in a seat. The minute I put them on, I looked up and a giant boob looked like it was going to smack me in the face! (I haven't done the 3D thing since then. LOL)

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I remember as a kid sneaking into an Xrated movie with my friend. It was Swinging Stewardesses and it was in 3D. We snuck in in the middle and it was really blurry til we found some of the glasses in a seat. The minute I put them on, I looked up and a giant boob looked like it was going to smack me in the face! (I haven't done the 3D thing since then. LOL)
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok what if ............ neva mind

Lefty

Yank
I wear glasses and never went to contacts. I really never gotten anything out of putting those silly things over my glasses. I'll keep to regular blue ray.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I wear glasses and never went to contacts. I really never gotten anything out of putting those silly things over my glasses. I'll keep to regular blue ray.

Uh huh. I remember Stereo Review magazine once saying that the new fangled CD format will never replace LPs. Yeah, right. :yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Now you make me want my eye back, just evil. :yum: