I need a new camera

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nothing fancy. Easy to use, and easy to offload the pics to my computer.
Any recommendations?

Currently I have a camera with a xD card. I have the card readers but it's a pain to use. How do you all upload the pics to your computer. Wireless or do you have to hook up to USB and use a card reader?
If you use a memory card what format is it? I find now most things are SD rather than xD.

Lefty

Yank
Doc, if you are looking for a pocket size camera, my recomendation will be to go with Canon. I have the SD750 and it is my second canon. I love the ease of use, it powers up in one second. The menus are easy to navigate even if you don't pick it up for a few months. The battery life is outstanding too. To download the pictures I just use the usb cable (included) and the MS camera wizard. Good hunting. The only thing is they use SD cards, but those are cheap.

L

chowhound

I recommend the Canon SD, too. I have the PowerShot SD 800 IS and love it. It's got a viewfinder, which is great for taking outside pics when you can't make out the screen and is very intuitive to navigate. I use their editing program that came with it, Zoom Browser EX, and it's the easiest program I've ever used for color changes and trimming. It has auto editing, too. Easily fits in your pocket and great speed (no lag). I download using the USB cable, it opens up the necessary programs automatically, but I've also stuck the card in my printer before, too.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I also recommend the a Canon PowerShot line. I have a Canon G3 but stopped using the Zoom Browser software that came with it as my old Paint Shop Pro can read all the formats as well as modify them with better results including the CRWs format. I use a card reader that is attached via USB. My office machine has a Brothers Printer that has a card reader built into it that also works well.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
another here for the cannon powershot line for an inexpensive line..

i upload my photos using the card reader

i have an old 3mp camera that still takes better pics than my newer powershot but they are both good once you play with the settings and get to know the camera

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
You can get really good cameras between $100-$200. The selection is seemingly endless. The last two we got were a Panasonic Lumix and a Canon Powershot. I'd recommend either one of those.

I have a Nikon D40 dSLR, and I use SD cards with a Sandisk USB card reader. The upload software pops up when I plug the card in, and I just hit the go button.

smoke king

Banned
I bought my wife a Nikon this past Christmas because the Canons were out of stock.

She loves it and it takes great pictures. Sorry I don't recall the model #, but it was around 225.00 with the bigger memory card. I can get you the specifics when she gets home.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I really like Canons, too. I have the Powershot A650. I like the A line because it uses AA batteries so I can keep a lot of rechargeables around and in a camera bag and never miss a shot.

I also like the SD format because you can get high capacity cards very cheaply almost anywhere and you can use them in multiple devices. (I can take my SD card out of my camera and put it in the Wii and see the pics on the TV just like that.) XD cards are usually more expensive and they pretty much are only useful in Fuji cameras.

Here's a camera you might take a look at.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EQ4C6W/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=photo[/ame]

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I wore out a Cannon (loved it), and now have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX30 that I believe is obsolete. Had it for a couple of years now. It just won't die, and I refuse to get another camera until it does. Uses SD card and I can upload using the supplied cable or SD card reader. Phenomenal battery life with the Lithium battery. I take it on vacations and leave the charger at home. I get over 500 pics with barely a blip in the battery life.

simplicity

I must be the only person here who doesn't own a digital camera. I never thought of getting one until I saw how the photos enhance the recipes.

Now I'm second-guessing myself.

chowhound

I must be the only person here who doesn't own a digital camera. I never thought of getting one until I saw how the photos enhance the recipes.

Now I'm second-guessing myself.

That's OK. It took me 3 or 4 years to buy my first music CD. Now everything is going MP3s :sad: I've never downloaded a song before, let alone saved it to a device :lol:

Love2"Q"

fuji finepix are solid cameras ..
all the sony pocket cams are really nice ..
i have a cannon powershot a650 ..
nice pics but a bit slow ..
spend 500 and get a nikon d 40 ..
you will never miss another pic of your grandbaby smiling ..

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Any recommendations?

Currently I have a camera with a xD card. I have the card readers but it's a pain to use. How do you all upload the pics to your computer. Wireless or do you have to hook up to USB and use a card reader?
If you use a memory card what format is it? I find now most things are SD rather than xD.

If you want to upload pics of you and Abby.. I have some from the houseboat party last October :yum:

Derek

Banned
Any recommendations?

I think I found a perfect camera for you. It's called the canon G9. and It's water proof, So you can take it up to 100 meters if you go on vacation.

5a1b_32.JPG

FryBoy

I think I found a perfect camera for you. It's called the canon G9. and It's water proof, So you can take it up to 100 meters if you go on vacation.

5a1b_32.JPG

The G9 is a great camera, although it's been replaced by Canon's G10. However, it most definitely is NOT waterproof. There is an optional underwater case available for it.

For more information, check this review: CLICK ME