Franken-Pantry II

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Franken-Pantry I was a success!

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16456

It’s after midnight CST (so it is Sunday now), and no one is here, so this is like a Christmas present to those that wake and find it.

Let’s move on to Franken-Pantry II.

The first order of business is to stock the Pantry with 10 ingredients. So each person should post an ingredient that goes into the Pantry. Once there are 10 ingredients, the Pantry is full, and cooking can commence.

The Rules

1. Salt, Pepper, Water, and Oil are staples and considered stove-top items and are always available and need not be suggested. You are free to use those 4 items no matter what is in the Pantry.

2. You can post multiple times, but not in a row. If you post an ingredient, you have to wait till someone else posts another ingredient before you can post again.

3. You can post items that were posted in previous Franken-Pantries.

4. Derivatives of an item can not be used, but can be made for use. For example, if wine is listed, you can’t just use “wine vinegar”. If cream is listed, you can’t just use butter, but you can MAKE butter or vinegar if you like.

5. Once 10 items have been posted, the Pantry will be locked and recipes can be made using as many or as few of the items from the 10 in the Pantry. But, other than the 4 staples (Salt, Pepper, Water, & Oil), you can ONLY use items in the Pantry. So if flour isn't listed, then you can't use it. Same goes for spices, if Cumin or Thyme aren’t listed, then you can't use them.

6. This mysterious Pantry has a walk-in cooler, so perishables like beef, chicken, crab, fish, milk, eggs, cream, butter, etc, can be posted.

7. Entries can be “open” or “restricted”. If you post “openly” such as beef, pork, chicken, fish, shellfish, etc, all cuts are assumed available. Open entries are something of an Iron Chef category, so if multiple versions of an item exist, they will be in the Pantry. Alternatively, you CAN post restrictively such as “crab” or “steak”, but the Pantry would be more accessible if you instead posted openly such as “crustacean” or “beef” - something to think about and it’s ultimately up to you.

8. Each “open” Pantry entry is something of a category unto itself. For example, if onion is posted, then any onion will be available: red, yellow, Vidalia, Spanish, pearl, shallot, scallion, etc. Imagine the pantry as an Iron Chef type room. In the spot where potatoes (open entry) are stored, all potatoes are there, Idaho, Russet, Red, Fingerling, Dried Potato Flakes, etc. But NOT sweet potatoes as that is a different animal (in a savory sense).

9, If you mean for an item to be restrictive, then please make note of that such as “Idaho Potato (restricted)” or “Chuck Roast (restricted)”. In doing that, the entry is limited to only Idaho Potatoes and no other kind of potato, and only Chuck Roast will be available, but no other cut of beef. If you don’t specifically list “restricted” in your entry, then the entry will be assumed open if multiple variations are available.

10. Since we also have the Cook’s Challenge going on, feel free to suggest the item used in the challenge if you so desire. This would allow you to kill two birds with one stone.

11. There's really no time limit for cooking from a Franken-Pantry. If you get around to making something, then post what you did. A month from now, someone may bump into this thread and want to cook from this pantry, so go ahead.

12. Cooking method is entirely up to you. Grill it, bake it, steam it, boil it, microwave it, serve it raw, etc.

13. Each Franken-Pantry is a stand alone Pantry. You can revisit any previous thread and cook something in THAT Pantry, but you can not bring items from one Pantry to another.

14. It's just for fun! That is the reason each open entry includes all variations of the entry such as “potato” means all potatoes, and “beef” means all cuts of beef. While Franken-Pantry is restrictive to 10 ingredients, it still strives to be approachable while also challenging you to put your thinking cap on.

So, start posting the ingredients you want or need in this Franken-Pantry. Remember, spices (other than salt and pepper) have to be posted in order to be used, so think of posting spices as well. I’ll start off.

Franken-Pantry II

1. Bouillon Powder

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
1. Bouillon Powder
2. carrots
3. Rice
4. butter
5. tomato
6. garlic
7. flank (beef)
8. parsley
9. valpolicella vino
10. cheese

Oh well I missed out I thought onions or potatoes.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh my -you early risers put together an interesting pantry! Like Peeps, I sorely miss the presence of onions, but we do have the ingredients for a risotto, and we DO have bouillon and butter...can't wait to see what everybody does with this one.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
soooo, the rules say (#!1) that we couls use pepper. is the veggie-kinda pepper permitted (ie:// chiles, that kinda item)~

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
no, luvs, it means black pepper. Salt, black pepper, oil and water are the 4 'given' ingredients.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, it's full! Since nothing was posted as restricted, I'm assuming all entries were meant to be open, so #9 will be Wine in general?

Franken-Pantry II

1. Bouillon Powder
2. Carrots
3. Rice
4. Butter
5. Tomato
6. Garlic
7. Flank (Beef)
8. Parsley
9. Valpolicella Vino (Wine)
10. Cheese

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Does number 7 mean flank steak only? Sorry - Mexican butchers have a weird way of cutting up those beefs and I have never seen a flank steak...usually that section is cut into very thin (and pretty tough) steaks to use for carne asada...can I use another kind of steak?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Does number 7 mean flank steak only? Sorry - Mexican butchers have a weird way of cutting up those beefs and I have never seen a flank steak...usually that section is cut into very thin (and pretty tough) steaks to use for carne asada...can I use another kind of steak?

#7 will be Beef in general, so Filet Mignon, ground beef, strip steak, chuck roast, beef back ribs, etc. That helps! :wink:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Tonight I did stuffed tomatoes.

First I boiled some rice in beef bouillon for flavor and color. Set that aside.

Then browned some ground beef. Removed and drained.

I then cut the top out of a tomato and scooped out its innards with a spoon.

To the pan with the ground beef grease I added the scoped out tomato bits and parsley. Sautéed that for a few minutes till soft. Then added garlic and sautéed 3 minutes till fragrant.

I then added 1/4 cup white wine and reduced by 1/2. I then added the cooked rice and ground beef along with a bit of cheese. Once it was warm and the cheese was melted, I put the mixture into the hollowed out tomato.

I baked the stuffed tomato for 10 minutes till it started to soften. Then topped it with cheese, and baked till melted.

Serve!

step1-79.jpg

step2-73.jpg

step3-66.jpg

step4-51.jpg

step5-42.jpg

step6-31.jpg

step7-25.jpg

step8-19.jpg

step9-12.jpg

step9a-6.jpg

step9b-2.jpg

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh wow, that looks GREAT! It would never have occurred to me to stuff a tomato. Good going, Keltin! Did it taste good? Looks like it did!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Flavor was incredible - the sweet white wine really added something to this.

I’ve actually got a bit of the stuffing left and will take it to work and eat it as is, kind of like a dirty rice. It turned out well. DW isn’t a fan of whole tomatoes and wants them cooked down to nothing, but she tore one of these stuffed tomatoes apart and loved it. I was actually surprised at how well she took to this. It was really good. I’ll make this again!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I made some stuffed tomatoes a few weeks ago with spinach, bacon, cheese and sour cream. Awesome. My company gobbled them up, and I was hoping for leftovers.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That is awesome Keltin! I've been giving this some thought all day and I think I know what I am going to try to make...it remains to be seen if it will actually work.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, it's full! Since nothing was posted as restricted, I'm assuming all entries were meant to be open, so #9 will be Wine in general?

Franken-Pantry II

1. Bouillon Powder
2. Carrots
3. Rice
4. Butter
5. Tomato
6. Garlic
7. Flank (Beef)
8. Parsley
9. Valpolicella Vino (Wine)
10. Cheese

yepper; choose your own; i posted that as its affordable & imparts wub 2 a food. i was instruced that if you're gonna get a lower-cost 1, get valpolicolla~
there's so very many, yets utilize them!

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
got my last menu, & this menu, too, quite prepped; getting a person 2 take me 2 get my food items takes an effort, though, as i dawdle/browse~

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
got my last menu, & this menu, too, quite prepped; getting a person 2 take me 2 get my food items takes an effort, though, as i dawdle/browse~
If you lived closer I would take you. I also browse and find goodies!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have an idea too! I think that I can use everything but the cheese, but we'll see.

Love the stuffed tomatoes, Keltin.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay, I made pizza!

Yesterday, I cooked some rice in salted water (1:2) for 20 minutes. I added about 3/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese, put it in a food processor and processed it until it looked like a wet dough. I then poured it out onto a cookie sheet and spread it out, covered it with plastic wrap and refrigerated it overnight.

Today, I made a sauce using canned tomatoes, carrots, roasted garlic, salt, pepper and parsley. Cooked it down and pureed it with a stick blender. I can't give you any quantities because I adjusted the seasonings numerous times.

I browned and drained some ground beef that I seasoned with some salt and pepper.

I took the rice dough out of the fridge and cut out rounds for individual pizzas. I fried them in a little butter but hindsight being what it is, next time I believe I would just brush them with butter and run them under the broiler, flipping to brown both sides.

I topped the "dough" with sauce, mozzarella cheese, ground beef and a little more parsley. I put it under the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese.

It wasn't too bad. Would I make it again...probably not :lol: The crust would be great for someone who couldn't have gluten as long as you don't like a crispy crust. The sauce definitely needed some italian seasoning.

Anyway, here is the finished product

Attachments

• rice-pizza.jpg
    rice-pizza.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Okay, I made pizza!

Yesterday, I cooked some rice in salted water (1:2) for 20 minutes. I added about 3/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese, put it in a food processor and processed it until it looked like a wet dough. I then poured it out onto a cookie sheet and spread it out, covered it with plastic wrap and refrigerated it overnight.

Today, I made a sauce using canned tomatoes, carrots, roasted garlic, salt, pepper and parsley. Cooked it down and pureed it with a stick blender. I can't give you any quantities because I adjusted the seasonings numerous times.

I browned and drained some ground beef that I seasoned with some salt and pepper.

I took the rice dough out of the fridge and cut out rounds for individual pizzas. I fried them in a little butter but hindsight being what it is, next time I believe I would just brush them with butter and run them under the broiler, flipping to brown both sides.

I topped the "dough" with sauce, mozzarella cheese, ground beef and a little more parsley. I put it under the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese.

It wasn't too bad. Would I make it again...probably not :lol: The crust would be great for someone who couldn't have gluten as long as you don't like a crispy crust. The sauce definitely needed some italian seasoning.

Anyway, here is the finished product
That looks pretty good! Very good use of the listed foods!