Let's talk about grilling gadgets?

GrillinFool

If you are a golfer you got a bunch of golfing gadgets from non golfers. Most of which didn't work or you never used. Like that little range finder that was supposed to tell you how long it was to the pin. Or that divot fixer that doubled as a Cigar holder so you didn't have to put your cigar down....I got all that crap....There is a cottage industry of golf gadgets that people will buy that know nothing about golf to give to golfers.

So, let's apply this to Grilling. Let's get past all the useless crap like a meat fork with built in thermometers. "I don't know why my steaks are dry. I checked the temp on them about 50 times with this meat fork with the built in thermometer but they always come out dry." Or that grill cleaner I saw the other day that was basically an electric screw driver with a wire brush attached. I don't actually know if it works or not, but it seemed like a gimmick to me.

What are your must have gadgets? I have a couple.

As a guy that only goes charcoal (lump or regular) this is a must:

Of course you have to get that chimney lit. I have something that lights that paper no matter how windy it is:

I'm not kidding. That was taken on my deck rail. The unit cost $15 with a can of fuel. A new can of fuel costs about $3. A can of fuel lasts about a year. Lights outdoor torches and outdoor firepits really well too!?!?! I realize it's overkill, but my inner pyro loves it. Seriously, you've seen the flame searing vids right. I have a large inner pyro!?!

A good pair of Tongs. These are my faves:

I need a good remote thermometer. Not to put in the meat, that's cheatin but to put near the meat on the grill to see what temp the cooking chamber is near the meat. I don't own this one. Mine is not wireless. It has to stay near the grill. This one is the shiznit and I plan on buying it soon:

You set the probe in the grill and the transmitter next to the grill. You set the reciever with a range. So for a 3-2-1 rib session maybe 200-250. If the temp goes above or below the range it sets off an alarm. Put the receiver on your belt and go about your merry way. When it beeps go tend to the fire. How sweet is that?!?!

Now to the last two essentials for grilling:

There have to plenty more gadgets out there. What have you got that you could not do without when grilling?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Tongs, meat thermometer (oven safe), bottle opener and cork screws (have several of both).

I also have a ton of golf gadgets which I never use but got as gifts too.

GrillinFool

Tongs, meat thermometer (oven safe), bottle opener and cork screws (have several of both).

I also have a ton of golf gadgets which I never use but got as gifts too.

AS a wine guy, do you know how many bottle toppers I have gotten in my life? Anytime someone sees one with a little chef on top or a fish (I have a 110 gallon African Cichlid tank at home) I get one of these. I have NEVER used one. Once the bottle is opened, it should breath. If I plan on saving some wine for later I use a vacuum pump and seal to pull all the air out.

I have gotten 1 nice grillin gadget but that was from my dad, a fellow griller, and it was the rotisserie for my smoker. That was money!!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
AS a wine guy, do you know how many bottle toppers I have gotten in my life? Anytime someone sees one with a little chef on top or a fish (I have a 110 gallon African Cichlid tank at home) I get one of these. I have NEVER used one. Once the bottle is opened, it should breath. If I plan on saving some wine for later I use a vacuum pump and seal to pull all the air out.

I have gotten 1 nice grillin gadget but that was from my dad, a fellow griller, and it was the rotisserie for my smoker. That was money!!!

I also have a motorized rotisserie that I paid extra for when I bought my Char Broil grill, but not my smoker.

Well as someone that really doesn't drink wine though my wife is also a bit of an expert, retired bar tender. All I use it for is cooking and simply tell her what I'm looking for such as red, white, dry, sweet etc. I'm more of a beer, rum and coke kind of guy myself.

High Cheese

Saucier
That is about the nicest waiters knife that I have ever seen. Who makes it?

AC

I was thinking the same thing. Let me know if you find it.

I don't really have many gadgets. I use: chimney, matches, newspaper, old tongs for moving coals and logs, brush. I use a spoon to apply mops and a silicone brush to apply thick sauces.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Let’s see......must haves are:

Chimney
2 pair “good” tongs
1 pair “old” tongs (for moving/adding coals)
Rack Thermometer
Meat Thermometer
Several “cookie sheets” for transporting smoked/grilled food
Large spray bottle for misting meat (mop)
Several Silicon brushes for applying sauce

The Tourist

Banned
GrillinFool, I've seen a grilling machine that looks very much like the cosmetic version of your grill that ran on wadded up newspaper.

It was on one of those 'infotainment' specials with a fake audience and all of the food turned out perfect.

I'm not a cook or a griller, but sometimes it would be nice to cook out (we have a larger deck) just for the fun and the taste.

Do you have an opinion for newbs?

GrillinFool

I also have a motorized rotisserie that I paid extra for when I bought my Char Broil grill, but not my smoker.

Well as someone that really doesn't drink wine though my wife is also a bit of an expert, retired bar tender. All I use it for is cooking and simply tell her what I'm looking for such as red, white, dry, sweet etc. I'm more of a beer, rum and coke kind of guy myself.

I was a beer guy my entire life. Never much of a mixed drink guy (the occasional Martini - Belvedere, straight up, extra dry and 3 olives - but that's about twice a year) but I got into wine about 10 years ago. Lately, I have been more of a wine guy. At 35, keeping the weight off is harder and harder. Wine is much easier to keep off....

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I've never had a gaining weight problem, though had a problem keeping weight on when I owned a karate school for about 15 years. I could lose 10 lbs in a few hours working out with students. Now my weight stays stable between 190lb to 205lbs but then I'm 62 years old, 6' 2" tall so can carry that fine. I'm not a big drinker or eater for that matter, really do all things in moderation. I rarely drink more than 3 beers max, or 3 rum and cokes. It has been a since last Christmas since I had a rum and coke at that. I never could drink beer until recently when I found one brand that I liked the taste of and didn't give me a head ache after just one.

I love to cook with wine and other alcohols really but never really enjoyed the many drinks though. On rare occasions my wife will sometimes talk me into a glass of wine though with her. I sure won't cook with it unless it is drinkable, no cooking wines for me.

GrillinFool

GrillinFool, I've seen a grilling machine that looks very much like the cosmetic version of your grill that ran on wadded up newspaper.

It was on one of those 'infotainment' specials with a fake audience and all of the food turned out perfect.

I'm not a cook or a griller, but sometimes it would be nice to cook out (we have a larger deck) just for the fun and the taste.

Do you have an opinion for newbs?

For a newb, I would say get yourself a Weber One Tough Gold. It can be used to smoke, grill, indirect, BBQ, etc. All for under $150. They last forever. I have two. One is about 25 years old and the other is just a year old (Father's day gift from my 2 month old at the time).

As for the infotainment, who knows? I've never seen that. But I doubt it would be what you are looking for. I doubt it is very versatile.

Now, what to grill once you get your grill? That's easy. Go to my website. It's all laid out with pics and a write up as to how to do each thing I do on the grill. Lamb, steak, ribs, pork loins, brisket, chicken spedini/cordon blue (this was sort of a difficult recipe), meat loaf, stuffed tomatoes, fatties, sliced steak sammiches, bacon explosion, ABT's, and I will constantly be adding stuff to it.

There is just something about the added smoke flavor that a BBQ grill brings out. Plus the natural camaraderie that it brings out in people. How great is it to stand around outside with a pair of tongs in one hand, beer in the other, and chatting up with another couple or two as the food cooks and you are entertaining....

Add in the tough economy and BBQ seems like a great way to save. I can make a couple of steaks that rival the finest steak houses in the country for the price of the meat and a little marinade. Or how about gigantic U8-10 shrimp. Sure they are about $1 a piece but you buy two for each person and you have a friggin awesom appetizer for $2/person by simply wrapping them with half a piece of bacon or slathering them in a honey mustard glaze. Or monster scallops? Get a bag at Sam's for $18. Couple scallops a person and that comes out to about $1.50 each person. Keep them in the fridge till you make them again. That sort of food is outrageously expensive in a restaurant. Do it at home and you can feed two people for a third of the price of two people at a restaurant...

GrillinFool

I sure won't cook with it unless it is drinkable, no cooking wines for me.

This is great advice. Do you know what I call cooking wine? Cooking piss. If you aren't going to be drinking it, you better not be cooking with it....

The Tourist

Banned
For a newb, I would say get yourself a Weber One Tough Gold...

Thank you. Summer is coming and it would be nice to enjoy the deck and friends and give my wife a break.

BTW, one of my friends is a super deer hunter. He's always bringing various cuts of venison over, which require a different heat/time procedure.

Is venison a good place to start for a newb?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you. Summer is coming and it would be nice to enjoy the deck and friends and give my wife a break.

BTW, one of my friends is a super deer hunter. He's always bringing various cuts of venison over, which require a different heat/time procedure.

Is venison a good place to start for a newb?

Venison can be tough, so you might want to start with something more forgiving when you grill. For smoking, venison is a good candidate as the tougher meat will benefit greatly from the low and slow cooking. Venison is very lean, so when I do a venison shoulder on the smoker, a I typically bard it with bacon.

The Tourist

Banned
Thank you, that's what I thought.

(I was going to cheat, and ask the hunter to come over for dinner, and fire up the grill and pick his brain..!)

GrillinFool

One more thing about venison. Leaner than beef and it can be gamy so I would definitely recommend a marinade. Because it is leaner is why you need to cut back on the cooking time as it will dry out faster than corn feed beef...