Ingredient Showcase ... Mushrooms

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

This is a Showcase of a single ingredient.

Each entry should revolve around the showcase ingredient.

There are no rules just a single dish or a meal involving the showcased ingredient.

When possible entry may include your recipe/instructions (or a link to your recipe). Pictures of your entry are always welcome and would be wonderful but not mandatory.

Let's have fun with this!!

And the star of this Showcase is ...

mushrooms_showcase.jpg

Ingredient Showcase Mushrooms (any variety - fresh, dry, canned, etc.)

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Re: Ingredient Showcase - Mushrooms - 1/13/2011 - 1/23/2011

Milos Cihelka was the first Certified Master Chef in the United States. Some of his bio is here. About 30 years ago I was fortunate to be able to take classes from him and to do a brief (unpaid) internship.

The last 17 years before he retired, he owned a restaurant called the Golden Mushroom, and the signature dish was the Golden Mushroom Soup. I still have his recipe.

Hopefully this week, I can dig out the recipe and make it for the showcase.

Stay tuned for the best mushroom soup you've ever eaten!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

YUMMY! I can't wait SS!! I love cream of mushroom soup. I was thinking of making my cream of wild mushroom soup.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

calling_mushrooms_report.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

I posted this in the Weight Watcher's forum, too.

Spinach and Cheese-Stuffed Portobellos
I just took the WW recipe for stuffed pasta shells and used it to stuff 6 portobello caps.

Each stuffed mushroom is only 3 PointsPlus!

Lee

Spinach and Cheese-Stuffed Portobellos

6 portobello caps
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup fat free cottage cheese
1 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. dried oregano or Italian seasoning
1 teas. salt
1/4 teas. red pepper flakes
1 cup or more tomato sauce
Sprinkling of parmesan cheese

In a Pam'd roasting pan, place the portobello caps.

Thaw the chopped spinach and squeeze dry (it does not need to be cooked).

Mix the cheeses, spinach and seasonings together, and stuff the mushroom caps.

Spread a little tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan, and lay the stuffed mushrooms on the sauce.

Spoon more tomato sauce over the stuffed caps, and sprinkle with parm. cheese. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

WOW!! I will have to try this stuffed mushrooms!! YUMMY So much better in a shroom than a shell.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Baby Spinach Salad topped with bacon, sliced hard boiled eggs & sliced mushroom caps. Dressed with Good Seasons Basil Vinaigrette with whole grain Dijon mustard. No real recipe just layer everything, shake up dressing and drizzle.

011611_spinach_salad.jpg

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Time is running out on mushrooms. This showcase will end this coming sunday 1/23/2011.

Cooksie

Site Supporter

I'm working on it....trying to figure out something to do with shiitakes.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

It is just a reminder. People have hectic lives and get side tracked I just wanted to bump this and give people a reminder.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

I'm working on it....trying to figure out something to do with shiitakes.
OOOOOOOOOOO That sounds good! I can't wait to see it. I LOVE mushrooms. I was going to make my soup but my family nixed the idea. They have wanted me to make other soups. LOL

Cooksie

Site Supporter

OOOOOOOOOOO That sounds good! I can't wait to see it. I LOVE mushrooms. I was going to make my soup but my family nixed the idea. They have wanted me to make other soups. LOL

Soup sounds really good.

How about some duck & shiitake dumplings...
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/duck-shiitake-dumplings.aspx

Had a recipe/dish for mushroom & sour cream croissants, but no pic. Will try to see if I can find it.

I'm not a baker, so croissants are kind of out, but thanks.

Now the dumplings...I could sub ckn for the duck (like suggested)....great idea. Also, my shiitakes are fresh.

...I'm not a baker, so croissants are kind of out, but thanks...

Oh, I was going to share my recipe, but things are hectic here. Don't know if I have time to find it again. I'm sure whatever you make will be mahvelous.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Soup sounds really good.

I'm not a baker, so croissants are kind of out, but thanks.

Now the dumplings...I could sub ckn for the duck (like suggested)....great idea. Also, my shiitakes are fresh.
Great dumpling recipe CC!! Good find!!

I hope you try that cooksie!! Chicken would be a good sub for the duck.

And, Party-licious.

Really like/appreciate the Mushroom ingredient topic - especially in the New Year (practically no calories, & they're like little sponges, soaking up whatever you add to them). It's been fun & inspiring looking through all the contributions.

Want to get to my mushroom pate, mushroom-crusted quiche, & so many other favorites. Thanks, again, for the topic.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Years ago (about 20) I had/made a recipe for liver & mushroom pate. It called for liverwurst!! It was fantastic. I brought tray of appy's including the pate and mini spinach pies to my mom's work. Everyone raved about them. One of her co-workers had a catering biz on the side and wanted the pate recipe. I have been looking for that recipe for about 10 years now. I can't find it anywhere.

Years ago (about 20) I had/made a recipe for liver & mushroom pate. It called for liverwurst!! It was fantastic. I brought tray of appy's including the pate and mini spinach pies to my mom's work. Everyone raved about them. One of her co-workers had a catering biz on the side and wanted the pate recipe. I have been looking for that recipe for about 10 years now. I can't find it anywhere.

Luv liverwurst. Sounds fantastic. Maybe you could post an ISO.

I have an old recipe somewhere for mushroom pate, but would like to adapt the measurements for these mushroom/almond pate-filled puffed pastry stars.

mushroom-pate-filled-filo-pastry-stars.jpg

shroom.jpg

http://www.vegalicious.org/2006/12/04/mushroom-pate-filled-puff-pastry-stars/

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Mushroom Tomato Sauce:
Fresh quartered mushroom caps, fresh parsley, fresh garlic & onion sautéed in EVOO. Plain tomato sauce, ground red pepper flakes, ground sea salt, ground peppercorns, thyme, rosemary & burgundy wine added and simmered for 15 minutes.

011911_mushroom_sauce.jpg

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Very nice entries everyone!

Could this be it Peeps? http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/mushroom-liver-pate/Detail.aspx

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Very nice entries everyone!

Could this be it Peeps? http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/mushroom-liver-pate/Detail.aspx
Thank you Mama it sounds really good. It's not the same but it's close. There wasn't any mustard in it and had some dry herbs. It was one of those recipe cards from a collection. Something like All American Recipes or something like that. They were stored in those plastic see through amber recipe boxes.