Good Price for a Laptop???

Lefty

Yank
Studio XPS 16
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (3MB cache/2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-bit
System Color Option
Obsidian Black High Gloss Finish
MEMORY
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)
LCD Panel
Edge-to-Edge FHD Widescreen 15.6 inch WLED LCD (1920x1080) W/2.0 MP
Video Card
ATI Mobility RADEON™ HD 4670 – 1GB
Hard Drive
500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
500G72
Integrated NETWORK ADAPTERS (NICS)
Integrated Gigabit (10/100/1000) Network Card

Adobe Software
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9, Multiple Languages
ADOBER
DVD+/-RW
CD/DVD writer (DVD+/-RW) +Roxio Creator 10 Premier-Ultimate Burn/Authoring
DVDRWRX
Sound Card
Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled
Wireless Networking Cards
Intel 5300 Ultimate-N Half Mini Card (3x3) with MyWiFi
Productivity
Microsoft Works
Software - Antivirus
McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
Battery Options
6-cell Battery
Hardware Services
2Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Datasafe
Dell Online Backup 5GB for 1 year
LCD
15.6 FHD WLED Display in Obsidian Black with 2.0 MP Webcam
Processor Branding
Intel® Centrino™ 2
Windows Vista™ Premium

$1,232.10</SPAN>

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I saw almost this same deal at TigerDirect.com this week for a bit less money about $700 if I remember correctly. It also came with a free upgrade to Windows 7 once it arrives. I not sure about the software included in it though they had a list I didn't read it. That deal is over with now but I daily email from them as to what they are offering on any given day.

Lefty

Yank
I saw almost this same deal at TigerDirect.com this week for a bit less money about $700 if I remember correctly. It also came with a free upgrade to Windows 7 once it arrives. I not sure about the software included in it though they had a list I didn't read it. That deal is over with now but I daily email from them as to what they are offering on any given day.
With DDR3 and 1g front side bus and 1g video card? All the ones I have seen for 700 are ddr2 with 800 fsb and a 512 video card.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This was just a one day deal from TigerDirect which was a little more than the one you listed normally. It also had HD screen with 1 g video card. Like I said I just glanced at it in passing as I really don't care much for laptop computers. I find the touch pads and key boards almost impossible for me to use. I'm more of a tower type myself and am having a friend (did our camera security system here including computer and network) build me one near the end of the year. I'm going completely HD with Blue ray burner as well.

FryBoy

I'd wait until after October 22, which is the day Windows 7 will be released. A clean install of Windows 7 will always be better than an upgrade from Vista -- and a lot less hassle.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I agree Doug and I'm holding off till November or early December to see if it works as well. I want no part of vista but do own Windows XP pro and Windows Media Center. I've never liked upgrading new OS systems and when I do I usually take it down to a bare HD, then start again with a fresh install.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
apple.jpg

Lefty

Yank
What does DDR3 get you?

From a January Artcile;

DDR2 (Double Data Rate 2) memory has been available for quite some time. New computers, even computers released within the last three years or so come equipped with DDR2 memory. An improvement over DDR memory, DDR2 produces faster performance with less energy consumption. With the way that DDR memory products are designed, none is backwards or forward compatible with the other. For example, if you have DDR memory, you will not be able to upgrade using DDR2 or DDR3 memory. You can only upgrade DDR memory with other DDR memory.
DDR3 memory is still relatively new, and is the most advanced and up-to-date technology you could put on your computer. It does work faster than DDR2 memory, and even uses less energy to perform at such a high capacity. Because this technology is still fairly recent, you probably won’t find it a lot in new computers. One of the biggest setbacks in regards to DDR3 memory is its entry level price range. The lowest price you’ll find for DDR2 memory is about $18, whereas DDR3 at its cheapest ranges around $85. This comparison is used with a stick of 1GB memory for desktop computers.

The cost has gone down a bit since then but basically its faster, better bandwidth and less energy.

Lefty

Yank
I agree 100% with Doug. :agree:

I'm a New Egg customer and have been very happy with all the stuff I've bought from them. I've built 10+ computers over the past few years and I bought all the parts from New Egg.

I never visited Tiger Direct until today. They do have a good buy on a lap top. Small screen though 15.6 with a 1.6Ghz 64 bit processor, 3gb memory, 160gig hard drive. Not to shabby for 399.

then they have a Sony Vaio Core 2 Duo 4 gb laptop with Intel Core 2 duo 2.10 GHz CPU, 4GB DDR2 memory, 320 GB hard drive, DVD Burner with Vista premium 64 all for 699.

I have a need for another laptop but it's boating season ....maybe this fall I'll spring for it.

Their prices are comparible with many others on new systems, just like New Egg, they have a few systems at good prices. Timing is everything.

I am in no rush for my new system. So I can wait and compare. I do miss having a laptop.