Spring Garden

Leni

It's that time of year. My son and I cleaned up the big stuff in my garden. I still have weeds to pull and soil to loosen so DH can rototill it for me. Another gardener and I are going to coordinate what we plant and share the work. She has two plots and I have three. Between us we have 1,000 square feet. A neighbor of hers wants to grow a little bit in the gardens. She is Russian and has tomato seed from there that she has started. Her plants are only a few inches high.

Tom has already planted some tomatoes along with the lettuce that we grow all year round. The parsleys are doing great, both Italian and curly leaf. I'm going to have to harvest some next week and dry it.

Is anyone else able to start their veggie gardens yet?

Saliha

I haven´t started gardening yet (still snow and ground is on the ice) but planning and looking for new seeds I have already started. Some weeks ago I got some new seeds from friend from UK (like Egyptian spinach and spring onions) and now need to find some corner to them too.

Now I can´t wait ->:w00t2: that I can sow them...

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I called Whole Foods today to see when they are getting their seeds. I sprout year round but I want to grow herbs too - last year mine failed badly. Not sure if I'm going to try again.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
me, too, cm. my basil wilted- was too warm & often in direct sunlite.

Saliha

Right now I am waiting to see how my many years´ herbs have survived outside as here have been very thin layer of the snow during the winter (as a thick layer of snow would protect them from the frost).

By the way, I have hear that at the many parts of the USA have been more snow than normally - is it true? (Have you took our snows away, huh? :huh: - ok just joking...).

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
"
Is anyone else able to start their veggie gardens yet?"

How do you plant through ice and snow????
We will start some things in the greenhouses soon but temps are to be in the low teens by the end of next week with overnights below zero. Working on getting more wood to keep what we have warm. Been a tough winter up here.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
I planted a few tomato plants, zucchini, curly Leaf parsley, and some other herbs. Every thing is growing strong. 80 degree's here today.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
It's that time of year. My son and I cleaned up the big stuff in my garden. I still have weeds to pull and soil to loosen so DH can rototill it for me. Another gardener and I are going to coordinate what we plant and share the work. She has two plots and I have three. Between us we have 1,000 square feet. A neighbor of hers wants to grow a little bit in the gardens. She is Russian and has tomato seed from there that she has started. Her plants are only a few inches high.

Tom has already planted some tomatoes along with the lettuce that we grow all year round. The parsleys are doing great, both Italian and curly leaf. I'm going to have to harvest some next week and dry it.

Is anyone else able to start their veggie gardens yet?

My son came over last Sunday and helped me too. We cut down the winter forest in my back yard, did some planting. Also, I have a good size pantry accessible from my back yard. We emptied the whole thing out, washed all the shelves, threw away all the outdated cans of food. (Labels falling off, some rust on cans) here it is Tuesday, I am still sore all over.:sun1:

Leni

I finally started planting earlier this week. Tomatoes, yellow wax beans, green beans, cucumber, peppers and onions. It's a little late for around here but I still should have a nice garden.

Just for the heck of it I bought some seeds for a really hot pepper called Carolina Reaper. It holds the Guiness World record for the Scoville scale, over two million.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I planted radishes (my beloved French Breakfast variety) around the perimeters of about 20 of my containers, maybe a dozen in each pot. So, I should have about 240 rads! Good thing my neighbors like them, too. We pull a few each night after work and have them with a salt dip with our beers. A few have popped up already.

Also, in the house, I've started 3 different kinds of sunflowers (Mammoth, Summer Mix and a dwarf variety), a couple of husk tomatoes (or ground cherries), a few of Leni's Wrinkled Old Man peppers, and a few of Leni's Peppadew ("fleur"?) peppers.

Leni, what the heck are you going to DO with the Carolina Reapers???? LOL!

For herbs, I buy all plants, except for dill and chives. I plant dill seeds and haven't had much luck with them. I have chives (garlic and regular) everywhere! The chives are the only plants in the ground in my garden.

I keep my potted herbs in spots with morning sun only and they thrive.

Lee

Leni

My daughters pharmacist is Nigerian and they love the hot stuff. I always take him some blistering hot peppers when I pick up her medications. I'm doing it mostly for the fun of it but I want to see if he can eat those.

He's a great guy. He just called yesterday to tell me that she is out of refills on a couple of her medications and was asking when she would see her doctors again. He always checks and refills when he sees that she should be getting low on a medication.

Leni

After dropping my daughter off I went to the veggie garden to water. It's going to hit close to 100 today. Would you believe that the water was turned off? Then I saw a small lake along the roadway. Looks like a pipe burst. At least someone was there to fix it.