Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme bread.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
My new WFO really holds the heat, and I'm trying to learn how to manage it, so I decided to do some more bread today. With all the rain, my herb garden is busting at it's seams, so I thought I'd make an herb bread. I've posted the recipe and extensive pictures on the method HERE

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow! I WANT that!

What does "bake with steam" mean?

Is this a recipe that can be made in a conventional oven? Is the recipe posted anywhere without photos, that's printer-friendly?

Nice job, Uncon!

Lee

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
"With Steam" means that you should do what you can to inject steam into the oven as it bakes. The steam helps tremendously with the crust.

If you have a baking stone, you should be in good shape to do this at home, but you'd probably want to reduce the recipe. This made three 2 pound loaves which would be a bit much for most home ovens or baking stones I've seen.

Sorry, the site posted is the only version. Guess I should change the site to offer a text only version... thanks for the suggestion :)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
How are you mixing these large batches of dough? The day I made 30 loaves of bread using a KitchenAid mixer I sure wished I had a Hobart table top mixer. I'm getting ready to make 20 loaves at the end of August for a bake sale at church, and your WFO would sure make the baking go quickly. I can only bake 4 loaves at a time.

GotGarlic

My new WFO really holds the heat, and I'm trying to learn how to manage it, so I decided to do some more bread today. With all the rain, my herb garden is busting at it's seams, so I thought I'd make an herb bread. I've posted the recipe and extensive pictures on the method HERE

It looks great, and I'd love to make this bread - my herb garden is busting out all over, too :smile: Have you thought about providing the ingredient measurements in ounces instead of percentages of a pound? That would make the recipe much easier to follow.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Joe, this bread was done by hand as demonstrated in the pictures with the recipe. On the other hand, the challahs I posted the other day were made with a 20 qt. Hobart. The challah recipe has a lower hydration, and would be all over the place if I tried to mix it by hand. I'd guess that 15# is about the max that would fit in one of my plastic bins (I keep 4 on hand). Obviously, your oven capacity would be your limiting factor. Before the WFO, I'd have 3 separate ovens going to do my once a year 50 loaf bake-off, usually with 8 loaf batches.

GG, I use a commercial scale that reports in hundredths of a pound, not ounces, sorry.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
May I suggest the name Scarborough Fair bread. I am sure that it would be a great bake seller winner.

Have you considered do the same thing but using a potato bread dough? Potato doughs have a longer shelf life. George Lang has a potato dough with kimmel that is wonderful and it is baked with steam as well.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I love potato breads, and even have a potato starter that I haven't used in some time. I really enjoy the texture and always thought it was perfect with smoked turkey :)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have gotten a great crust with steam and then, due to the potatoes a fantastic shelf life--so for me, potato breads can be the best of both worlds.