Prime Rib - Joy of Cooking

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I forgot about the cool technique that Sass Muffin posted a few years ago, which I would still like to try http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17002

But I've always had success using the Joy of Cooking method for prime rib, and continued my successful streak for this past Christmas dinner.

Prime Rib - Joy of Cooking

Take roast out of fridge two hours before cooking.

I season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Set on a rack, bone side down.

Preheat oven to 550.

(Note: they say to insert a meat thermometer before putting the roast in the oven - I don't use my probe thermometers at heat that high because it fries them. I insert a probe when I think the meat is close to being done and the oven isn't searing hot.)

When the oven reaches temp, turn it down immediately to 350 and put in the roast.

Roast 18 to 20 minutes a pound, or when the meat is done to the internal temp you like (I pull mine at 130 degrees).

Rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

Fantastic!

Lee

Attachments

• Prime rib 1, raw.JPG
    Prime rib 1, raw.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 473
  • Prime rib 2, cooked.JPG
    Prime rib 2, cooked.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 466
  • Prime rib 3, sliced.JPG
    Prime rib 3, sliced.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 470
  • Prime rib 4, Christmas plate.JPG
    Prime rib 4, Christmas plate.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 468

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mouthwatering. Mmmmmmm that looks so so good. Thank's Lee. :clap: :clap: :clap:

ps: what are the little round things between the beans and meat?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, the plated photo shows the prime rib, garlic-mashed potatoes, asparagus and stuffed mushrooms, all on my grandmother's special "holiday plates".

No one used either the delicious gravy or the horseradish sauce I made - they wanted to taste just what they had there. :)

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Guess I can't expect too much. Ok, an end piece for me, please. Hah!!

But I'm tempted to at least go buy a small one after the holidays!:piesmiley1::eating2::bounce:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, the plated photo shows the prime rib, garlic-mashed potatoes, asparagus and stuffed mushrooms, all on my grandmother's special "holiday plates".

No one used either the delicious gravy or the horseradish sauce I made - they wanted to taste just what they had there. :)

Lee
It all looks fantastic. While I agree, I would have started without the sauces but before done I would have tried the horseradish for sure, and if I had room I'd try the gravy also.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I would've put some gravy on the mashed taters & the meat!

Gravy with ANY meat, mashed taters, noodles or rice go together like ham & eggs, beans & franks, peanut butter & jelly!! :weber:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:applause:Fantastic! I would have taken some horseradish sauce on the side...one bite plain, next bite with the horsey sauce, love that stuff.

I bought a new brand of horseradish, usually buy the Kraft, and it was really stout, good but stout. I made some of the Outback Tiger Dill Sauce for some deli roast beef sandwiches a couple weeks ago...so good.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
horseradish is a required side for us - gravy with prime rib doesn't float much around here either.

once we went to an eatery specifically on Friday night as that was the only night they offered prime rib.

when the server asked "and how would you like that done?" it decided it was time to pick a different entree.

by definition, it's medium rare - QSis certainly nailed it - I drool . . . - a bit of brown on the outer edges down to rare/medium rare at the bone.

DW doesn't do 'blood' so she gets the 'end slice' - the rest of us have red napkins.....

Shermie

Site Supporter
Usually, when I cook a meat, I almost always make a small gravy to go with it, especially if I'm having mashed taters, rice or noodles.

I love gravy and the taste of it, especially turkey, chicken & beef gravy, as well as pork gravy!! Our mom always made gravy to go with the meats that she cooked! :weber:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Lee, I will gladly take all of that gorgeous medium roast. It looks perfect.

The lady time I did a roast it was for quote a few people. I was thinking of making two roasts to get the meat uniformly done. After a bit of research, I made one ten pound roast. I had I cut off the bone and tired back. I roasted it at 200 for a bunch of hours, I think six. During that time, no juice came off the meat. The last half hour, I increased the temp to something like 375, maybe 400. The meat browned perfectly, it was uniformly done throughout. Gosh! It's been a long time, like CF, time for another.

Birthday is coming up --------- Hmmmm. Pretty much always cook my own birthday dinner.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Lee, I will gladly take all of that gorgeous medium roast. It looks perfect.

The lady time I did a roast it was for quote a few people. I was thinking of making two roasts to get the meat uniformly done. After a bit of research, I made one ten pound roast. I had I cut off the bone and tired back. I roasted it at 200 for a bunch of hours, I think six. During that time, no juice came off the meat. The last half hour, I increased the temp to something like 375, maybe 400. The meat browned perfectly, it was uniformly done throughout. Gosh! It's been a long time, like CF, time for another.

Birthday is coming up --------- Hmmmm. Pretty much always cook my own birthday dinner.

WOW!! That's nice to know!!

Of course, I may never make one that big. But it IS nice to know how to do it perfectly, so that it comes out juicy, brown & done in the center and not be dried out! :piesmiley1::eating2: :driving:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Lee, your prime rib is mouthwateringly beautiful. And I love your grandmother's special holiday plates. They look like Spanish/Mexican talavera. Lovely design. Happy New Year to all!

Karen

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just want to get a small one boneless, and I want to try slow cooking it like Adillo303 has done!! :chef: :weber: :bbq3:

Johnny West

I did this in the oven last night - rubbed with French sea salt and black pepper, roasted to 110F, still a bit on the medium side, but excellent. We have about two thirds left that will make some great leftover meals.

Attachments

• #Rib Roast.jpg
    #Rib Roast.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 179

Johnny West

I know. I'm beginning to question the reliability of the meat thermometer. I did let if rest for 15 minutes before carving.