"My Place by the Sea" - Rockport, MA

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can't believe I've never been to this beautiful town before!

Yesterday, I drove up to the old port of Rockport, MA to join some friends who rented a house there. The house was right around the corner from the restaurant "My Place by the Sea", which is owned by their chef sister, Kathy Milbury.

The rented house is a lovely old house (as so many of the are in this old town) that is all modern inside. It's a short walk to the restaurant from the house, and a little longer walk to the beach.

The restaurant is RIGHT on the water.

Now, I am not a big fan of seafood, ESPECIALLY shellfish, but I ate everything and I LOVED everything! Without a doubt, Chef Kathy's seafood is the very best I've ever had! Absolutely amazing! Truly. I'm not exaggerating.

For appetizers, we had lobster and crabmeat "tacos", panko-crusted scallops, grilled shrimp, and seafood eggrolls with dipping sauce.

Then we had pecan-crusted salmon with Bernaise, and scallops with a maple-balsamic glaze.

Then lava cakes with whipped cream and homemade espresso ice cream.

What an experience!!

Enjoy the pictures!

Lee

Attachments

• Rockport 3 House sign.JPG
    Rockport 3 House sign.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Rockport 9 Approaching Kathy's restaurant.JPG
    Rockport 9 Approaching Kathy's restaurant.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 40
  • Rockport 10 Mike's boys, far.JPG
    Rockport 10 Mike's boys, far.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Rockport 13 Lobster and crabmeat tacos.JPG
    Rockport 13 Lobster and crabmeat tacos.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Rockport 14 Fried scallops and grilled shrimp.JPG
    Rockport 14 Fried scallops and grilled shrimp.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 39
  • Rockport 15 Seafood eggrolls with dipping sauce.JPG
    Rockport 15 Seafood eggrolls with dipping sauce.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Rockport 16 Bruins fans at sunset.JPG
    Rockport 16 Bruins fans at sunset.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Rockport 1 House front.JPG
    Rockport 1 House front.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 40
  • Rockport 19 Lava cake, whipped cream and homemade ice cream.JPG
    Rockport 19 Lava cake, whipped cream and homemade ice cream.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Rockport 27 Little beach.JPG
    Rockport 27 Little beach.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Rockport 26 Same cool walkway, 2.JPG
    Rockport 26 Same cool walkway, 2.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 36
  • Rockport 25 Cool walkway 1.JPG
    Rockport 25 Cool walkway 1.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Rockport 20 Lynne and Kathy 1.JPG
    Rockport 20 Lynne and Kathy 1.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Rockport 18 Maple-balsamic Scallops and sweet potato.JPG
    Rockport 18 Maple-balsamic Scallops and sweet potato.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Rockport 17 Pecan-crusted Swordfish with Bearnaise.JPG
    Rockport 17 Pecan-crusted Swordfish with Bearnaise.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 36

homecook

Beautiful place, Lee!!! That dinner sounds and looks amazing.......I could eat seafood every day of the week!:readytoeat: Thanks for sharing pics of such a wonderful place.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
What a beautiful place....and the food :ohmy: Looks like you had a wonderful time!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Wow, thanks for sharing this with us, Lee...I love those tacos! I could gobble up everything. Looking at that dessert plate makes me want some ice cream, so that's what I'm going to have, right now! So glad you enjoyed your weekend.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Living there and eating that food would be pure heaven.
Thanks Lee, you lucky girl you.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Places like that are such wonderful finds! Did it all taste as good as it looked? And the water temperature....what is the water temperature? ( I ask because there is no such thing as cold water down here)

cookingirl

I absolutely love Rockport!! It is so beautiful! Haven't been there in a while though....heavenly!
Awesome meal! I think I know where the restaurant is.....reminds me that I need to take a drive up there and check it out!!!:idea::encore:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
What a beautiful place! And that meal! I could live on seafood, especially shellfish. It looks like you all had a great time.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Lee. What a place, and the food looked mouth watering. Mmmmmmmm

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, everybody!

Yes, the food was even better tasting than it looked! Tender, juicy, fresh, not a fishy-taste in a single bite! I'm telling you, if I rave about seafood, it's spectacular!

Cooksie*, the prices at "My Place by the Sea" are high (for me, at least). If you plan to go there (reservations strongly suggested) check out the online menu first, particularly the wines, so you don't get sticker shock, LOL! http://www.myplacebythesea.com/index.html

Vera, I don't know the water temperature, but it was pleasantly chilly. :)

Lee

*Oops, I meant "cookingirl"! :)

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Gorgeous scenery and amazing food - like SS, I could live on seafood. Now I must have some scallops.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
This looks good... What is it?

attachment.php

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Went to lunch with my friend, Lynne, yesterday. Her sister, Kathy, is the chef/owner of this wonderful restaurant. We had such a great time - I loved it all!

Here is my TripAdvisor review:

"From beginning to end, yesterdays' lunch at My Place by the Sea was stellar! Chef Kathy, partner Barb, wait person Clara, and the other members of a young staff tickled us pink with a delicious bottle of champagne and perfectly cooked food! The shrimp tempura and sauce were the absolute best I've ever had! Crispy prosciutto-topped pizza, clam chowder CHOCK FULL of tender clams, special-of-the-day chicken sandwich with melted gruyere, swordfish with bearnaise were all perfect! And the portions were so plentiful that we could only eat half of each. I ordered a grilled swordfish dinner to take back to my elderly father for dinner last night. I reheated it in the microwave for 2 minutes and he purred about itthrough his whole meal, eating every bite! Said it was wonderful (did not use the sauce) and beat his favorite Scituate seafood restaurant! Great job to the young man who prepared the fish! Huge hugs and thanks to Kathy, Barb and staff for making yesterday one of the best days I've had in awhile! (and Lynne, too!)"

Champagne bucket, My Place by the Sea, July 2021.JPG

Kathy Milbury's birthday 2021.JPG

Swordfish with maple pecan glaze.JPG

Sandwich and chowder.JPG

Grilled swordfish.JPG

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So glad to hear you had another great experience there. Awesome!!!!!
I'm also glad you bumped this thread. I love good memories like this.