Roasted Garlic Creme Brulee topped with fresh fruit and Balsamic syrup.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Ingredients

• 2 garlic heads
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt

IMG_0916.jpg

Preparation

Take two sheets of Aluminum foil about as long as they are wide (Square) Put them on the counter top.
Cut the top off the head of each of the heads of Garlic. Put one sheet of Aluminum foil in your hand, set the garlic head on the foil and fold the sides up a bit to make a dish. Repeat this with the other garlic head. Drizzle about a Tbsp. Of Olive oil over each head. A light sprinkle of salt, if desired. Fold the Aluminum foil up around the garlic to seal.. Roast the garlic at 375 degrees for an hour. Take the garlic out of the oven and let it cool. When cool you can easily peel away the outside of the garlic heads and remove the pulpy roasted Garlic.
Cooks note – Make an extra head or two of garlic. They are great spread o whole wheat bread as a snack.
IMG_0919.jpg

Combine whipping cream, eggs, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix fairly well. Put the mixture in the food processor or blender, add the garlic pulp and fire it up. Be careful, you are only trying to chop the garlic as fine as possible, not make whipped cream.
Preheat the voen to 225 degrees.
Prepare a water bath. This can be a roasting pan or what have you. You need an inck to an inch and a half in the bottom and it needs to be big enough to hold the cups for the crème Brulee. I used 2/3 cup Pyrex cups. Someone with more bowl selection than I have can be more creative. Place the cups in the water bath. Fill them cups leaving half an inch or so for fruits and syrup.
Carefully slide the pan into the oven, the cups will move some, rearrange them to give space and not be near the side..Bake at 275° for 40 minutes or until almost set. Very carefully remove the pan from the oven. Be careful not to spill hot water on either you or the two labradors sitting by the oven. Cool custards in water in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan before serving.
Cooks note – Mine baked for more like 55 minutes. After 45 minutes check for the custard to just set. It should not be firm,
IMG_0922.jpg

Prepare your fruit. Most any fresh fruit makes a nice topping. I used Peaches, Kiwi and Strawberries. I was hoping to make a great presentation full of color. IN retrospect Iwas probably too anxious to get done and taste it. The custard should be rather cool to support the fruit and I would cool the syrup as well on the next go around.
Arrange the fruit on top of the custard and drizzle the Balsamic syrup on top.
It came out beautifully. It is rife with different tastes that worked really well together. I hope you like it.

Balsamic Syrup

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
fresh fruit (strawberries, bananas, peaches, etc)

Put all the ingredients in a saucepan, bring them to a boil and reduce for 7 to 8 minutes to thicken. Pour over the prepared Creme Brulee. This can also be used over fresh fruit for a healthy desert.

IMG_0926.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
After I roasted the garlic yesterday, I spread a clove on whole wheat bread. The roasting makes the garlic sort of garlicy sweet, The Creme Brulee is not overly sweet, nor is the garlic overpowering. It kind of sets off a bunch of aftertastes in your mouth. The Balsamic syrup is hard to describe. I used a well aged Balsamic vinegar, which is a bit sweet to the taste by itself. Combined with the maple syrup and vanilla it leaves a hint of the various flavors.

Put the whole thing together and all fo the flavors kind of play off each other. I really cannot describe it any better than that.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Late breaking news. Liam got up on the counter, picked one of the cups of Creme Brulee, by the rim, gently got down and carried it into the dining room and proceeded to add his seal of approval. He was apprehended half way thorugh and pulled off. While leading him away, Bear finished it off. It is now Bear & Liam approved. I had not planned it that way as garlic is not at all good for them. I am hoping that the quantity is small enough that neither will get hurt.

Liam is a master thief.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Andy, this looks beautiful! I'm not a fan of garlic but I can imagine it with balsamic vinegar and it sounds very appealing. (Obviously your kitchen "helpers" liked it too!)