Ironman

🍺
Got back into it this year. So far I have -

Tomatoes:

Early Girl
Sun sugar cherry's
Sweet Million cherry's
Tomato Juliet
Brandy Wine Amish (had to try these but my friend said he wasn't impressed with them)

Peppers:

Habanero
Jalapeno
Super Cayenne
Carmen Pepper ( first time 4 me, mild heat & sweet I'm told? )
Sweet Peppers
Big Bertha sweet peppers

Should be a good start for my salsa. I want to get some more big juicy tomatoes for slicing and BLT's. Maybe some onions too... :readytoeat:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have one Beef Steak Tomato plant, 4 jalapenos, 1 cayenne, 2 variety's of cucumbers, zucchini and pumpkin squash as well as the usual herbs. Those would be basil, oregano, dill, chives, thyme, tarragon, flat leaf parsley, cat nip and cilantro. I also have some seedlings I got from some sent me to try out, that I've never heard of before by the name listed on the bags but will figure out what they are once they start to grow a bit more.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
About a month ago I planted a variety of tomatoes, bell peppers (green, yellow and red), green and wax beans, radishes and herbs (rosemary, sage, oregano, basil, thyme, chives and flat leaf parsley. The strawberries from last year are doing great! We've had a LOT of rain the past month so the whole garden is coming along wonderfully! The drought is finally OVER :clap:

pharmerphil

So far we have:
Garlic (fall planted) 348
Onions..833
5 rows (35 ft. long) potatoes
3 rows (25 ft. long) green beans
4 rows (25 ft. long) radish
4 rows (25 ft. long) scallions
3 rows (25 ft. long) carrots
24 cabbage
24 broccoli
Tomatoes 125 & peppers 144..going in today...First chance due to rain..
All that is planted..Up and looking GREAT with all the rain we have received

pharmerphil

Thanks Mama..pictures as soon as I can catch my breath :)
Radishes are table ready in 3 days...yum!! ready for some radish soup...

pharmerphil

We are heading out in a few to plant despite the cloudy cool weather...gotta get it finished up...haven't long before second planting green beans

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I have corn, onions and peas planted. Some lettuce and herbs in the boxes also. Been so busy with bees and then the frost hit again so not much else out yet. Looks like we lost some of the strawberries but the raspberries look great. Fruit trees seem to have took it well also. Hope to plant tomatoes and some other stuff later this week after I get the last 4 hives set up. Should end up with 8-10 hives this year.

Leni

Picked our first tomatoes last week. DH has been picking tomatoes for the last couple of days. Tonight I will BBQ hamburgers now that we have enough for them. Nothing like a homegrown tomato on a grilled hamburger.

A couple of days ago I planted beets and Fortex green beans from Burpee. They are really good. Today I'll plant radishes and carrots.

High Cheese

Saucier
I just germinated frash seeds from a fresno chile, they sprouted in a damp paper towel after 5 -6 days, just put the in some dirt.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Picked our first tomatoes last week. DH has been picking tomatoes for the last couple of days. Tonight I will BBQ hamburgers now that we have enough for them. Nothing like a homegrown tomato on a grilled hamburger.

A couple of days ago I planted beets and Fortex green beans from Burpee. They are really good. Today I'll plant radishes and carrots.

Wow that's wonderful Leni! I have about a dozen marble sized tomatoes but that's all. I am so looking forward to ripe tomatoes.

pharmerphil

we snitched a few seeds from a Fresno a year ago, had a nice crop, they produced true to seed..We were able to get another 30 tomatoes in yesterday, on ground we had tarped prior to rain

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
It looks like my plan has worked with only 5' of fencing. I've not had any deer try to get in, and we've been harvesting lettuce and snap peas for about 2-3 weeks already. Everything is doing well except the bush beans, which I've planted 3 times. I have about 10-12 plants out of over 50 seeds each time I planted, so I guess I'm not supposed to have a lot of beans this season. I have spaghetti squash and zucchini squash fruit forming nicely, and it looks liek we'll be giving a lot away once they get up in size. Lots of flowers and lots of fruit. Cukes are also very prolific, so I may be putting some of them up this year for a change. Peppers have lots of flower on them, but no fruit as of today. Here's how DW fixed up the front of the enclosure as seen from the street. Looks better than nothing at all as the first picture shows from back in April.

Leni

I started picking yellow wax beans a few days ago. I barely touched what was ready to be picked. Cukes are going crazy and so are the tomatoes.

Leni

I went over to the garden again today. We picked 8 1/2 pounds of yellow wax beans. Yikes!

Ironman

🍺
Pic of my early girl tomato plant in a pot on the deck (and my dog :) ).

2hdbpxt.jpg

My Amish Brandy Wine tomato plant. Weird looking plant imo.

2ez1wu9.jpg

Leni

Yeah but you know what, these have much better flavor than the 'normal' ones you get in the store. People wanted nice round ones that were easy to peel and slice so they sacrificed flavor.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, that is a great design of a garden you have there! Nice size for a few fresh plants and fits right into the yard! Beautiful lettuce!

Leni, what in the world are you going to do with all those wonderful yellow beans??? Freeze some?

Ironman, I love growing heirloom tomatoes, but have had poor luck with them in the last few years (blight or wilt). Good luck with yours and keep us posted on the strange looking ones!

Lee

Leni

I had DH buy several boxees of freezer Ziplocs. I plan to blanch and then freeze them.