risotto?

Lefty

Yank
Going to try my luck at making this. I hear it requires attention but is worth it. Any tips for me??

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>tips . . .

there is a mystique to making risotto - but actually it's very easy.
most important is using "the right kind of rice" - arborio is the usual culprit and probably the most available "off the shelf"

it will take time and attention until you get some experience with it - then you'll be more clued in to when to stir, when to add, how long you can "ignore" it, etc.
that said, it is not a prep you can just plunk on the stove and forget about.....

"making risotto" is like "making pasta" - the rice/pasta is only one part of it - what other goodies/flavors you choose can affect the 'technique' needed - particularly for "wet" type additives.

this is about as good a "primer" as I've come across:
http://italianfood.about.com/od/tipstricks1/a/aa091697.htm

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Easy Parmesan "Risotto"

2010, Barefoot Contessa How Easy is That?, All Rights Reserved
Show: Barefoot ContessaEpisode: Dare to Be Different
Recipe categories: Grains, Rice, Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, Vegetables, more
Recipe Ratings & Reviews(0)

Total Time:
1 hr 0 min
Prep 10 minutes
Cook
50 min
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
5 cups simmering chicken stock, preferably homemade, divided
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup frozen peas
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the rice and 4 cups of the chicken stock in a Dutch oven, such as Le Creuset. Cover and bake for 45 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente. Remove from the oven, add the remaining cup of chicken stock, the Parmesan, wine, butter, salt, and pepper, and stir vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes, until the rice is thick and creamy. Add the peas and stir until heated through. Serve hot.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
You know I never tried to make risotto. Everyone said its a pain to make. Doesnt really look THAT bad. I think Ill give it a try in the next few days.

GotGarlic

This is my go-to risotto recipe: Dan's Ultimate Shrimp Risotto

I use this with variations for all risotto - lemon with pan-seared scallops is a favorite. One important thing is to make sure your liquids are all warmed up before beginning; adding cold liquid will mess up the rice.

I make asparagus and pea risotto in the spring. I put about 1/2 cup of each with about 1 tbsp. water in a container in the microwave and steam for about 2-3 minutes, then keep it warm in the micro till it's time to add it to the risotto, right at the end.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looking forward to hearing about your experience, Lefty!

Lee

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
the only thing I can offer is, and I am sure your projects has come and gone by now, but, brown the rice first. Get it nice a golden, it helps really builds some base flavor, but also helps when it comes to absorbing the stock.

Also, it CAN be over stirred. Once it starts getting tender, and still stays nice and separate, stir less vigorously. fold it more, just making sure it isn't sticking to the bottom. It will still stay nice and creamy, but it won't turn gummy. And finish with a knob of butter, or splash of cream for a very velvety mouth feel.