ISO TNT Homemade Sauerkraut recipe

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I am looking for a TNT recipe I can trust from forum members first.

I will do a google search also but would rather have a recipe I know had been tried and is good.

Thank you in advance.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I've made this small-batch sauerkraut several times. In fact, have some in fridge that's several months old. Guess I should use it or check on it.

What I do differently, is use one of the well-washed outer leaves cut/folded to fit the top and use a plastic bag full of additional brine to weight it down. I usually let it go for +/- 7 days to get to a point that Craig likes it, but I will still eat it also. I do put the caraway seeds in, though I crack them and don't use as much as the recipe.

Oh, last time I made it, my hands were really hurting from arthritis and working the salt into the cabbage was killing me. Bright idea, I used the head of the large metal meat mallet to work it in. Worked like a charm!

I also picked up a 2 quart apothacary jar from Hobby Lobby with the seal and locking ring. You can lock it down after the initial fermentation is done and you put it in the fridge, DEFINITELY not before.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thank you Med.

My meat mallet has sideways heads. One flat and one spiked.

Maybe I can use my hand mixer on slow.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
So does mine. I just used it to mash straight down and twist.

I am giving home made sauerkraut a try! It has been about three days- Way to salty. I rinsed the cabbage again in a colander, and put back in the jar. Wow- I did not know it was this easy to make. My dd loves kimchi -So we might try making that too.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Did you use the same ratio given in the recipe for the correct amount of cabbage? Mine has never been too salty.

Glad you gave it a try! I've made kimchi too, just more ingredients.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Did you use the same ratio given in the recipe for the correct amount of cabbage? Mine has never been too salty.

Glad you gave it a try! I've made kimchi too, just more ingredients.

NO- My friend told me without ratio. I cut up cabbage, poured sea salt on top, massaged it in for about ten minutes. Stuffed in jar, leave the lid on loose. When you have time- Please send me ratio of how much salt. Also Kimchi Recipe.
Thank You

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
It's 1-1/2 Tablespoons to 3ish pound head of cabbage. Did you look at the link in my first post? You have to make sure the liquid covers the cabbage so it doesn't mold.

If you need additional brine, either to add or to put in a plastic bag to weigh the cabbage down, it's 1 teaspoon to 1 cup of water.

I'll have to find the kimchi recipe. It's been a while since I made it.

Last edited:

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
It's 1-1/2 Tablespoons to 3ish pound head of cabbage. Did you look at the link in my first post? You have to make sure the liquid covers the cabbage so it doesn't mold.

If you need additional brine, either to add or to put in a plastic bag to weigh the cabbage down, it's 1 teaspoon to 1 cup of water.

I'll have to find the kimchi recipe. It's been a while since I made it.

Thank You Medtran- I just poured the Sea Salt on top of the 2lb Cabbage. I rinsed it all off twice, it looks like it is in good condition now- Thanks for the tip.