Ground Beef and Potato Picadillo

Deelady

Ground Beef and Potato Picadillo

Use as a filling for soft tacos, flour tortilla tacos, enchiladas, chiles rellenos and empanadas.
1 1/2 TB olive oil
1/2 cup onions, minced
1/2 cup potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch pieces and rinsed
1 1/2 pounds very lean ground beef
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons chile powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil, onions and potatoes. Cook the onions until they are soft, but not browned, and add the ground beef in small pieces. Brown the meat, breaking it up as it cooks.
Grind together the garlic, oregano and cumin in a molcajete or mortar and pestle and stir it into the meat. Next, add the chile powder and salt. Turn the temperature to very low, cover the skillet, and simmer the filling for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally

Deelady

I use to have one I adored that I made with both ground beef and chopped beef and had a tomato sauce for the base with a pinch of cinnamon....but I lost my recipe for it and have not since tried to recreate it in the kitchen.....I have searched high and low on the internet for it with no luck!! It was sooo good everyone would eat it out of the pan with a spoon before I could even stuff the peppers!

This one is good also but its quite different.

lilylove

:oops: see ya lost me there with the cinnamon. I don't like it with my meat. Nope... but I could see the above recipe being great with sliced meat instead of ground. Now that would rock!:applause::applause:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Sounds real good, but two questions:
Can I pre-cook the potatoes, or are they cubed so small they cook easily. I always seem to have a problem getting them cooked all the way thru.
And, don't have that thingy you mentioned or a mortar and pestle, can I use my KA food processor?
Thanks!

chowhound

I'm into diced potatoes, Mav. I add them to about every concoction dish I make. They cook very fast and this is a twenty minute dish after you add all the ingredients and cover. They'll be cooked all the way through for sure.

Deelady

Sounds real good, but two questions:
Can I pre-cook the potatoes, or are they cubed so small they cook easily. I always seem to have a problem getting them cooked all the way thru.
And, don't have that thingy you mentioned or a mortar and pestle, can I use my KA food processor?
Thanks!

I see Fred beat me to the first question :D As for the second you can use your processor or I use also a coffee grinder that I use for spices. Anything you can grind/combine the spices.