Beer can Chicken

massey1635

I like doing beer can chicken. Now someone tells me that it is unhealthy. He claims that the inside of the beer can is coated with a thin layer of plastic so you can't taste the aluminum can. Has anyone heard this story before. If it is true any suestions as what to do. How can you do beer can chicken without the beer can?

chilefarmer

Massey, one of the things that could be used is: An angle food cake pan, cover center hole with foil insert chicken over hole. Pour liquid of your choice in pan. I do this and also add vegetables to the pan, makes for good chicken dinner.
Also the stand up chicken rack with a stainless container, to hold liquid would work. Just thinking again, always gets me in trouble. CF:wink:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
CF - Great idea. Especially the veggies.

I presume that we are not after a non stick cake pan here.

High Cheese

Saucier
I buy some cheap canned veg, empty, remove the label and use that can for the beer. No paint.

If you're worried about the plastic lining (or whatever) just burn it out first.

Leni

I posed your question to my girl friend who has a radio show here in LA about cooking. Just so that you know her references, her name is Melinda Lee and her show is on KNX 1070 which is a CBS station. Her web site is www.melindalee.com. She has been on the air for over 20 years and this is her response.

Oh, sure - I've heard that story before, but the consensus is that it's okay. Even Steve Raichlen (author of the BBQ Bible and several more books) says that it's safe - so that's what I think...there are ceramic substitutes for the can, if one wants to be picky.

Last edited:

chilefarmer

Found this item while just looking. I like it. CF:neutral:

Beer Can Chicken Cooker:
beerchicken.jpg

Heres the like to the site.
http://www.grillstuff.com/steven-raichlen-best-of-barbecue-beer-can-chicken-roaster-with-drip-pan.html?productid=4748

Leni

That looks pretty neat CF. I also notice that the web site is the one for the person that Melinda cited. You could use that gaget for all kinds of liquids with or with out seasoning. I just may have to get one myself.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
jeesh, I do so wish you would not puncture all these myths with real facts . . . (g)

massey's concern has two elements of truth:
(a) most if not all cans - beer or other - have applied linings with BPA
(b) heating BPA "increases" the breakdown/exposure/whatever

but there's a whole raft of issues past that.
how much "exposure" is too much/dangerous/hazardous...
and to what group of humans...
so if the beer can is full, how much of the BPA laced lining is exposed...
and since it appears the beer does not get all that hot, what is the "safe" temperature limit for BPA coatings....
assuming the BPA is "released" is it absorbed into the chicken or does it float about in the oven or......

I recently ran across a good analogy somewhere:
if a tree falls in the forest and the logger is not there to hear it, does the logger's wife still complain?

GotGarlic

Found this item while just looking. I like it. CF:neutral:

Beer Can Chicken Cooker:
beerchicken.jpg

I got one of these because it's reusable - I don't have to make sure I have a disposable aluminum pan on hand when I make chicken this way. Also, I make wine-butt chicken (not a fan of beer), so with this, I don't have to use some sort of can, either. I like it a lot. Got it through Amazon.com.

FooD

Does it really matter what liquid you use? I thought the idea of BCC was to simply create a moist environment in the cavity, not to add flavor.

High Cheese

Saucier
Does it really matter what liquid you use? I thought the idea of BCC was to simply create a moist environment in the cavity, not to add flavor.

You can use whatever liquid you want. The aroma of whatever you use does affect the taste. I mean, it's not like you're eating chicken that was just dunked in some beer.

You can do stock and add some herbs/garlic, beer, wine, etc.

...soy, terriyake, chiles, .........

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Massey, one of the things that could be used is: An angle food cake pan, cover center hole with foil insert chicken over hole. Pour liquid of your choice in pan. I do this and also add vegetables to the pan, makes for good chicken dinner.
Also the stand up chicken rack with a stainless container, to hold liquid would work. Just thinking again, always gets me in trouble. CF:wink:

What a wonderful idea. :)

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I got one of these because it's reusable - I don't have to make sure I have a disposable aluminum pan on hand when I make chicken this way. Also, I make wine-butt chicken (not a fan of beer), so with this, I don't have to use some sort of can, either. I like it a lot. Got it through Amazon.com.

So Cool!

beerchicken.jpg