Lobsta Ravioli

High Cheese

Saucier
Here's the result of the lobster ravioli idea I was thinking about.

Serves 2, 4 raviolis

First boil one whole lobster until just done and set aside. Reserve the water the lobster was cooked in.

For the sauce: In a sauce pan add 1 1/2 sliced shalots, 1 tablespoon peppercorns, 1 sprig fresh thyme and about 1 1/2 cups white wine. Simmer and reduce to a little less than half. Add about 1/2 cup cream and reduce by half again. Turn off the heat, add one stick of cold unsalted butter cut into tablespoons and incorporate with a whisk. Once smooth, strain through a fine sieve or chinoise into a clean bowl and whisk in 1/2 cup white wine, then season with salt and pepper.

For the ravioli: Cut the claw and tail meat into 1/4" dice. Seperate 4 eggs reserving just the yolks (whole). Lay out four sheets of eggroll wrappers and place one yolk and lobster meat as pictured. Season with salt and pepper then top with another wrapper sealing the edges with water. Trim excess with a pastry wheel or knife.

To cook the ravioli, combine 1/2 fresh water and 1/2 strained cooking liquid from the lobster. Bring to a boil and add salt. Only cook 2 raviolis at a time for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove with a spider and place in the sauce pan with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 minute, moving constantly. Any longer and the sauce will break. Plate and garnish with fresh thyme.

The idea is the egg yolk mixes with the beurre blanc for a super rich sauce.

LobstaRavioli001.jpg

LobstaRavioli002.jpg

LobstaRavioli004.jpg

LobstaRavioli006.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Spectacular photos, as usual, Jay!

Were you pleased with the dish?

Lee

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That looks great! I don't have any special tool to do those edges, is it needed or can I just cut em with a knife and seal them?

High Cheese

Saucier
Yeah, they tasted awesome. They wound up being about 4" square. I'd prefer using quail eggs to end up with a smaller size. Two this size will definately do ya.

That looks great! I don't have any special tool to do those edges, is it needed or can I just cut em with a knife and seal them?

A knife is fine. You may want to use a fork for a stronger seal. Those pastry wheels are like $2. I use it for all kinds of pastas.