Medtran and David Rosengarten's Crab Cakes

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Re: What have you eaten Sunday, 2/2/2020, to Saturday, 2/8/2020?

3 cups of crab, 2 slices of bread without crusts, eggs, white wine, seasoning, lemon juice and a bit of mayo, and that's it!

Attachments

• 2020-02-08 18.53.21.jpg
    2020-02-08 18.53.21.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,025
Last edited by a moderator:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

That looks fabulous, Lucky!
Med, I'll try to remember your crab cake instructions so I can make them like that one day.

They are actually David Rosengarten's instructions. He says to use Wonder bread, but I don't always. He had one of the first shows, Taste, on Food Network back when it started. The bread disappears into the crab cake.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/perfect-maryland-crab-cakes-recipe-1949822
Crabcakes

Ingredients
for 6 crabcakes

4 slices soft white bread

1 1/2 tablespoons dry white wine

2 cups backfin crabmeat from a refrigerated tin

Salt

2 cups jumbo lump crabmeat from a refrigerated tin

Maryland Crab Seasoning, to taste

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1/8 cup melted unsalted butter

4 tablespoons thick mayonnaise

Lard

Vegetable oil

Directions

Trim the crusts from the bread; discard, or reserve for another use. Tear the remaining bread into little pieces (about 20 pieces per slice); handle the bread lightly, so the pieces remain fluffy and don't flatten out. Place the bread pieces in a bowl, and sprinkle them with the wine; toss lightly to distribute the wine evenly.

Pick over the backfin and the jumbo lump crabmeat to remove any bits of shell. In a large mixing bowl, toss together the backfin and jumbo lump crabmeat. Season to taste with salt and with Maryland crab seasoning. Add the soaked bread, beaten eggs, lemon juice, and melted butter; toss lightly, making sure to keep the crab lumps whole. Add the mayonnaise, and toss the mixture gently with your hands, distributing the mayonnaise evenly. Taste again for seasoning, if desired (if you don't want to taste raw egg, you can saute a bit of the mixture in butter). For even better flavor, allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours.

When you are ready to cook, place a large, heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium-high heat; the pan should have enough room for 3 crab cakes. Add enough lard and vegetable oil (in fifty-fifty production) to create a 1-inch depth of oil. When the oil is medium-hot, quickly shape 1/2 the crab mixture with your hands into 3 cakes, each roughly the size and shape of a large hamburger. Gently place the cakes in the oil, making sure to preserve their shapes. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the cakes are golden on one side. Flip them carefully with a spatula, and fry on the other side for 3 to 4 minutes. After about 8 minutes, the cakes should be golden brown on all sides and heated through (you want the pieces of bread inside to virtually disappear). Remove the cakes from the pan, and place them on paper towels. Repeat and make 3 more cakes with the remaining mixture.

Recipe courtesy of Taste, by David Rosengarten

Last edited by a moderator:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

They are actually David Rosengarten's instructions. He says to use Wonder bread, but I don't always. He had one of the first shows, Taste, on Food Network back when it started. The bread disappears into the crab cake.

I used to watch him on PBS. His set didn't have a sink with running water and the stove ran on propane tanks. I LOVED his show.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Thank you.
I found the recipe at The Daily Meal.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

I used to watch him on PBS. His set didn't have a sink with running water and the stove ran on propane tanks. I LOVED his show.

Yep, and everything was on free-standing racks. Very minimalist set, but he made good food. We bought his cookbook by the same name as the show, Taste. It has several recipes that we absolutely love.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful-looking crabcakes, Med!

Copied to a new thread, for easier finding later.

Thanks!

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Last night, I used a can of jumbo lump that had what came out to 3 cups of crab meat and 2 slices of potato bread because that's what we had. And, we aren't all that fond of Wonder bread for sammies. Otherwise, followed the recipe.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I followed the recipe using 3 cans of Chicken of the Sea lump crab meat only, did not use wine or any extra liquid, a little Old Bay seasoning and the rest.
I'm pleased that this recipe produced 4 good sized cakes.
They're chilling out in the fridge until pan time.
They held together quite well.

20200222_145339-768x768.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Masterful job, Sass!

I may be making these some Lenten Friday soon!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Masterful job, Sass!

I may be making these some Lenten Friday soon!

Lee
Thanks Lee.
I'm going to make these from now on.
The frozen ones do not compare.
The taste is very mild.
More Old Bay the next time too.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think I used too high a bread to crab ratio, as mine were kind of mooshy on the inside.

Still, a good recipe. I added minced red onion.

Served with homemade tartar sauce, cauliflower tots and tomato with balsamic.

Lee
Crabcakes.JPG

Last edited:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We have used a red bell aioli and also a roasted garlic tartar sauce at times. You have to be careful with the cooking as there is a fine line between undercooked, over cooked and just right. I actually over cooked them a bit last time and if you don't use Wonder bread that seems to affect the cook time as well.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We have used a red bell aioli and also a roasted garlic tartar sauce at times. You have to be careful with the cooking as there is a fine line between undercooked, over cooked and just right. I actually over cooked them a bit last time and if you don't use Wonder bread that seems to affect the cook time as well.

Love the idea of red bell aioli!

Yeah, I fried 4 minutes, then 3 minutes which was probably too long.

As for the bread, I love white sandwich bread, but never buy it for myself. For this, I just wanted 2 crab cakes, so I bought a bulkie roll and removed the crust. Maybe should have used half.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
"Maybe should have used half...."

psst: panko

Or saltine crackers ground up fine.
I could have made these the same way I've made salmon patties/ egg+bread or crackers.
But using mayo instead of egg is a great idea, so that's what I'll always use now for making either.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Or saltine crackers ground up fine.
I could have made these the same way I've made salmon patties/ egg+bread or crackers.
But using mayo instead of egg is a great idea, so that's what I'll always use now for making either.

What about ground oyster crackers.

Johnny West

Tonight it's Maryland crab cakes with fresh Dungeness crab and a can of crab from Merino's.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
They look great, John!

I see crabcakes in a near future Friday night for myself!

Lee