What to do with Anchos and Mulatos?

buckytom

Grill Master
i went to the market for chipotles today for use in making a bbq sauce, and came home with a bunch each of (dried) ancho and mulato peppers.

both smell wondefully sweet.

ok, so, now what can i do with them, lol?

i've seen them used on tv cooking shows (but never really paid attention), and i vaguely recall them being rehydrated before being cooked.

anyone have experience and/or a tnt recipe for ancho and mulato chiles?

High Cheese

Saucier
I don't know all those dried chiles by name, but I have a few different bags in the pantry. I like to use them to infuse oil for cooking. Just let then sit in some oil over low heat for a while then remove. You can also toast them in a pan (even better) then add the oil.

Phiddlechik

then use the infused oil to drizzle over refried beans, mmmmmmm....
I've also taken a variety of dried chilies, ground them (processor or coffee grinder), and made my own chili powder.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Tom, here is how I make chile powder. It's actually a great all purpose seasoning...I use it to rub pork tenderloin before I brown it, mix it with cream cheese and grated cheese for a spread, use it liberally on chicken breasts when I cook them, on and on. Depending on your FP, you might find that your blender works better to break down the chiles.
Chile Powder
6 oz dried chiles (mild, hot or combination. Ancho or pasillo are the mildest and guajillo and chiles de arbol are a little hotter. I mix them up)
2 TBS ground cumin
2 tsp ground paprika
4 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp onion powder
6 tsp dried cilantro

Roast chiles for a few minutes in a skillet or griddle, just to release aroma (1-2 minutes.) Cut off stems of chiles and remove seeds. Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or blender until powdery. Store in an air-tight glass jar.

vyapti

Anchos are my favorite pepper. I use them mostly for chili or enchilada sauce, but I also keep ground ancho chili powder in the spice rack, adding it to anything from soup to guacamole.

then use the infused oil to drizzle over refried beans, mmmmmmm....
I've also taken a variety of dried chilies, ground them (processor or coffee grinder), and made my own chili powder.

I like your infused oil idea. I'll have to try this myself =)

buckytom

Grill Master
great stuff, thanks everyone.

the infused oil is definitely a plan.:a1:

i bought dw an art deco coffee grinder a few years ago for christmas that's just sitting in the basement, never opened. i think i'll reclaim it to use for spices. :smile:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Anchos are my favorite pepper. I use them mostly for chili or enchilada sauce, but I also keep ground ancho chili powder in the spice rack, adding it to anything from soup to guacamole.

I like your infused oil idea. I'll have to try this myself =)

Ditto everything that vyapti said! :agree:

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
i bought dw an art deco coffee grinder a few years ago for christmas that's just sitting in the basement, never opened. i think i'll reclaim it to use for spices. :smile:

just write "SPICES" on it or someone will have some weird tasting coffee. lol

...oh, and keep the salt next to the sugar when you have guests. that's always fun.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I know this thread has been around awhile, but I should have added that every Mexican cook uses these dried chiles as the basis for numerous sauces for cooking. They remove the seeds and veins, then let them soak in very hot water for about 20 minutes, then put them in the blender with garlic, onion, tomatoes (maybe), etc., then cook the sauce in a little oil for about 15-20 minutes. This is how enchilada sauce is made, and is also the base for mole.

buckytom

Grill Master
thank you for ressurrecting this abi.

and thank you karen.

i still haven't had the time to do any experimenting with them, but every time i open the cupboard in which they're stored, along with some flor de jamaica,i get a great little whiff of wonderful spice, and smoke, and flowers.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Here's one of my favorite recipes, BT, that uses dried chiles. You could use your mulatos and anchos in equal proportion here, I think, and you wouldn't have too much heat.
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Pollo con Salsa Roja y Chorizo (Chicken with Red Chile Sauce and Sausage)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]6 chicken drumsticks and 6 thighs, skinned[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]2 tbs oil[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]½ pound ground fresh chorizo (or buy fresh chorizo links and remove the casings)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Salsa roja (recipe follows, but you can also use a large can of enchilada sauce)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]6 dried chiles guajillo (long and dark red, smooth skin)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]3 dried chiles ancho or pasilla (shorter and darker- wrinkled skin)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]3 or 4 roma tomatoes (or a medium can of diced tomatoes)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]¼ onion[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]2 cloves garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 and ½ cups chicken broth [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]2 TBS corn oil [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]salt to taste[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Since the chiles guajillo are hotter than the chiles ancho, you may want to modify the mix if you want milder sauce. Remove the stems, seeds and membranes and soak in hot water for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, peel the tomatoes*, garlic and onion and cut into pieces.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Drain the chiles and transfer to a blender. Add the peeled tomatoes, onion,, garlic and broth and puree.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the pureed sauce. Stir a bit to let it bloom. Simmer for 10 minutes over low heat and add salt to taste.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Using a heavy, deep frying pan with sides at least 3 “ high, brown the chicken well in the oil in two batches, remove from pan and set aside. Add chorizo and sauté for a few minutes. Drain excess oil and add 1 cup of the sauce. Mix well, then add chicken pieces and cover with the remaining sauce. Bring to a simmer, and then cook for about 60-75 minutes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]To serve, let the tender chicken literally fall off the bone into a hot, fresh soft tortilla. Roll it up and enjoy. Garnish with chopped avocado, onion, radish or cheese if you want. You could serve this with Mexicana rice and/or beans, or just some fresh fruit (mango, pineapple, papaya, etc.)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]*This is easy if you dip them in boiling water for a few minutes, the skins just peel off.[/FONT]

abi_csi

I know this thread has been around awhile, but I should have added that every Mexican cook uses these dried chiles as the basis for numerous sauces for cooking. They remove the seeds and veins, then let them soak in very hot water for about 20 minutes, then put them in the blender with garlic, onion, tomatoes (maybe), etc., then cook the sauce in a little oil for about 15-20 minutes. This is how enchilada sauce is made, and is also the base for mole.
Although it sounds so simple, it sounds delicious - I've not made a sauce quit like this but fully intend to. Love spicy food.