Beef and Bean Stew

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This may be the absolute BEST stew I've ever eaten! More like the consistency of chili, but without the chili seasonings.

I bought a bag of mixed beans, barley and grains and I adapted the recipe that was on the packaging a bit (I omitted potatoes and added a little beef).

I will definitely make this again, many times! The flavor, texture and heartiness cannot be beat!

Lee

Beef and Bean Stew, a la Lee

1 bag of assorted beans and grains
6 cups of water
small piece of beef (I used a slice of beef shank), seasoned with s & P
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 onion, diced
1 large or several small fresh tomatoes, diced

Put the beans in a large pot with the 6 cups of water and soak for at least 6 hours.

Brown the piece of beef.

Bring the water, beans and beef to a boil and simmer, covered, over med low heat.

Saute the diced carrots, celery and onion in a little olive oil. Season with s & p.

After simmering the beans for 50 minutes (taste to check if the beans are getting tender, if so ...) add the sauteed vegetables and continue simmering for another 10 minutes. Then add the diced tomatoes - simmer for another 10 minutes on low.

Remove the beef from the pot and dice it up, adding it back. Check seasoning and add as needed.

Serve with crusty rolls.
Bean soup package.JPG
Browned beef shank.JPG
Pot of soup.JPG
Bean soup plated.JPG

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
interesting to mix in a grain portion - did they specify what grains were used?
looks like barley and ? pearled couscous and . . .

I've come up with some good bean mixes - time to add some grains!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Sounds like a good mix.

I like adding dry:
Lentils
Split peas
Pearl Barley
Navy and/or pinto beans
Baby lima beans
Tiny pasta (usually shells but sometimes bowties. I get tiny imported pasta at the Farm Market)

to my beef soups along with the other ingredients I have on hand.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
copied that out - I'll look for emmer in the market today. I've seen einkorn in the 'specialty' sections but don't recall ever seeing / hearing of emmer.

the rest is in house....

peeps - have you tried orzo with the mix?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
copied that out - I'll look for emmer in the market today. I've seen einkorn in the 'specialty' sections but don't recall ever seeing / hearing of emmer.

the rest is in house....

peeps - have you tried orzo with the mix?

I like to use the tiny pasta shells in soup. I use orzo pasta in rice and quinoa pilafs.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I make a farro salad. Maybe I'll add some farro to my soup next time.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
never used it -

any tips / wisdom / info for farro prep?
pre-soak, time to cook, etc . . . .

I use the Instant Pot for cooking my beef soup so I never soak any beans/grains. I only pressure cook my soup with beans and/or meat for 35 minutes with a natural pressure release of 10 minutes. Then I add any fresh/frozen and pasta ingredients (I would add the 10 min farro at this time also) and pressure cook for 3 minutes with a quick release.

I have used Trader Joe's 10 minute farro (which is very good) for quick salads.

TJ_10_min_farro.jpg

1 package Trader Joe's 10 Minute Farro
Water or broth
Salt

Boil a large pot of water or broth to a boil.
Add the bag of farro and boil for 10-12 minutes.
Drain and season to taste.

My quick Farro, Tomato & Herb Salad

farro_tomato_herb_salad_082617_P1100193.jpg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
okay - thanks. the farro is in the "health nut" aisle - I'll check what the package recommends. I don't think it's been par-cooked aka 10 min stuff but I could be wrong.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love farro but the barley-sized farro takes forever to cook.

The ingredient on my bean soup package said "pearled emmer", so I would look for "pearled farro", C-man. If you have a choice of sizes, small would be better.

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
okay - as I dimly recall.... there was only one offering for farro - I'm due toy shop tomorrow - so we'll see. well, if the snow melts. we have about 2" of wet slushy stuff that is very slick. the AWD was spitting sputtering and stepping out all the way up the hill to the house.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
found the farro - it's pearled with an advertised cook time of 30 minutes....
a lot like barley - we like it!

tripped over this:
https://www.acornadvisors.com/2020_Knews/01-09-20_Bowls/Recipes/Farro_TCS.pdf
apparently "bowls" are the new thing. I missed that part....
the dish is an excuse to get people to eat kale. we subbed baby spinach....

extended the cook time to one hour as it dried a bit it got more to "steamed" than "boiled"
not a particular photogenic dish, but tasty.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I couldn't get the nice mix I had before, so I got a bag of Goya mixed beans and added 1/4 cup of barley. Proceeded with the recipe.

Man, this is good stew! Going to bring it to visit a friend and it will be reheating while we go to the ice castles in NH. I'll pick up a loaf of French bread and a bottle of red wine and wa-la!

Lee

Goya beans.JPG

Beef and Bean new.JPG