My Garden

Saliha

I will get tomatos soon.

9fqWaJX.jpg

:clap:

LADawg

I will get tomatos soon.

9fqWaJX.jpg

Now that's kind of funny. You will have tomatoes soon and my neighbor just pulled up his tomato vines this morning because they were through producing for the year. Just another good example of living down here in Lower Alabama.
:smile:

Saliha

Hehe. Surely Lower Alabama would be better for my tomatoes than this cold, north Finland...

...specially when most of the days at this summer have been like this :umbrella:

But I am not moving anywhere. :biggrin:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Saliha, your peonies are spectacular!

My grandmother had them and I was always fascinated with them. But they always came with ants, who sometimes made it into the house when my grandmother put the cut flowers on the dining room table.

Yours look ant-free.

Lee

Saliha

Everything is so green... I will miss this color at the winter again but now its time to enjoy about it.

Herbs and flowers: hyssopus officinalis, lovage, peppermint, chamomile, dill, catnip mint, sun flowers).
eRnWVe6.jpg

HPXzA7u.jpg

Enough herbs for the whole year:
e61dFvz.jpg

The old iron cauldron is now somewhere under the flowers and herbs:
Pxl9kWJ.jpg

It has hidden quite well.

(Iron cauldron at the spring without plants:)
b7yzlzbgdnec.jpg

Veggies grow bigger and bigger:
2kJaOqZ.jpg

Shark fin melon. It has many buds.
EBeB0mf.jpg

It fills its box quite well and makes new brances to other directions:
vxRZVWK.jpg

Leni

I had to give up my garden at the community garden. The price jumped from $25 a year to $120. We had 8 plots and had downsized to 3. The main thing is that it was simply too much for me to handle by my self. It was becoming a burden and since I have a large backyard I decided to grow at home.

Saliha

^^ I know that feeling. I had before at the country side much bigger garden but after some years it didn´t feel any more as a nice hobby but like being in the labor camp. And as usually, I made it bigger and bigger every year. Smaller garden in the city is easier to take care. Now I have also time to enjoy about it, not only work in there.

Ian M.

Saliha and Lee - Your gardens look wonderful - elegant! I so envy you the time and space to have such lovely places to grow things like you do - you're both such spectacular gardeners. I can't persuade dw that gardening would be something she'd enjoy, though. Sure wish she'd give it a try but the growing season is somewhat short here. Potatoes, anyone?

Ian M.

Leni

We are growing beets, radishes, onion, leeks, tomatoes, chard, carrots, yellow wax beans, lettuce, plus an herb garden. And of course the potatoes. I planted red, blue, and yellow varieties.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was dead-heading my window boxes and was struck by the lovely color combination of deep purple petunias and yellow-green coleus.

In the photo, the petunias look blue. Still pretty, but better in real-life.

And I added a photo of my first two baby white eggplants of the season. I love this variety! They look like literal "egg" plants!

Lee

Attachments

• Purple and green.JPG
    Purple and green.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 168
  • First baby eggplants.JPG
    First baby eggplants.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 170

Saliha

I like petunias too. At this year I have huge white petunia in the hanging basket, just beside of the front door.

c25QOjq.jpg

:flowers:

Saliha

Sunflowers have tiny buds on the top. Their seeds are from the bird feeder - the birds didn´t eat all seeds but dropped few of them to my garden. I have to remember to leave the seeds from those sunflowers to birds at the autumn as they were their gardeners, not me.

aUigc2l.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I believe that every garden needs at least one sunflower! They are such happy flowers, and make me smile!

Smell great, too!

I leave the seed heads on until the birds (or squirrels) have eaten all the seeds, Saliha.

Lee

Saliha

With melons and squash grow also violets:

X8o9RvH.jpg

I like gardens which grow like a nature - in the wild nature too there are many different plants growing together. Plants know by themselves, which ones are suitable neighbors.

Unfortunately the weeds love to grow with all... :glare:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
More beautiful photos, Saliha!

How is your weather this summer? What kind of temperatures do you have?

It's been an unusually great summer here in Boston. Only a few days in the 90's, but most of the time it's been averaging 78-85 degrees, with mostly low humidity.

Lee

Saliha

This summer have been colder than usually and quite rainy. People here are whining all the time that hot and sunny days have been so rare. Most of days here are something between +15 to +25 celsius. Only few times temperature have been over +30 C. Raining is good for my garden but some plants, like squash, tomatoes and chilies are missing hot and sunny days.

And yup, me too. :umbrella:

Saliha

Flowers of oregano:

eUx0HXt.jpg

I have a huge bush of oregano - it means yummy pizzas at the future. :thumb:

Saliha

Shark fin melon which grows in the box beside of my herb garden has started to spread its sprouts. I guided it to run along the fence.

vE31dem.jpg

Saliha

I checked some earlier pictures and found this change - from the 3rd of May:

r1wm9jctdgmk.jpg

to the 25th of July:

syqrAQH.jpg

Such a change. :smile:

Saliha

More flowers are opening, now cornflowers: I have blue and pink ones.

a2QHFZ6.jpg

Time to start harvesting herbs; lovages, anise hyssops, peppermints and few onions.

MxUQojp.jpg