Looking for a new Food Processor

joec

Gold Site Supporter
OK my GE 9 cup quit on me this weekend and I'm looking for a new one from 7qt to 11 qt. I'm currently looking at two a Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart both for about $100. I don't want to spend that much but looks like I don't have much choice. Both are 7 quart but I'm leaning toward this one http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=101774&RN=435

Any input would be appreciated and I don't need a smaller one as my blender has a 2 quart and a larger one isn't needed by me. My GE 9 quart the bowl was broken and is no longer made so parts are next to impossible to get. It has served me well for about 7 years though I didn't need the slicer on it at all.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have a KA 14cup I got last year from DW and love it. From what I understand, you can't go wrong with Cuisinart or KA food processors as both are good quality products.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I have a mini Cuisinart FP, and have yet to find a need for a large one. I guess that shows what an amateur I really am.

Don't forget the ubiquitous 20% off coupon for BB&B, as that will take $20 off the advertised price for you.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
DW bought me a 14 cup KA. I did not really see the wisdom in one so large for two of us. Then I learned that you can only fill it half full if what you are processing is liquid or runny. I have the mini bowl for small stuff. If we have company, I need all of it.

Just another opinion.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
DW bought me a 14 cup KA. I did not really see the wisdom in one so large for two of us. Then I learned that you can only fill it half full if what you are processing is liquid or runny. I have the mini bowl for small stuff. If we have company, I need all of it.

Just another opinion.

Ditto here, LOL. Found out the hard way only fill it half full of liquid max!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Good choice. Let me know if you need a 20% off coupon for BB&B.

Thanks but I get the offers all the time. I have purchased a lot of stuff from them over the years and not only get them in snail mail but also in email. I actually got one tonight and will go with the Cuisinart that I pointed out.

Thanks to the rest of you who answered and I will let you know what I think after using it awhile.

chowhound

I have that Cuisinart, Joe. It's my first FP and maybe they are all like this, but two things that stand out that I don't like are; the chute seems too small. Especially when shredding cabbage for slaw. No big deal to cut the cabbage up more, but I've noticed that chunks of cabbage (and carrots for that matter) seem to get stuck between the blade and the lid. The fewer pieces you feed, the less this happens, so I try to cram in bigger pieces that what the safety switch will allow.
And, for lack of the correct terminology, I don't like the way the plunger and the chute come apart for cleaning. There are a couple of ears on the plunger that ride in two slots on the chute. You have to squeeze and pry to get the two apart and to put them back together. It just doesn't seem right, but if you don't food gets stuck between the two.

Again, maybe they are all like this, but if you can handle each one, I would look at the chute and plunger assembly. It works great other than those little peeves.

Shermie

Site Supporter
OK my GE 9 cup quit on me this weekend and I'm looking for a new one from 7qt to 11 qt. I'm currently looking at two a Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart both for about $100. I don't want to spend that much but looks like I don't have much choice. Both are 7 quart but I'm leaning toward this one http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=101774&RN=435

Any input would be appreciated and I don't need a smaller one as my blender has a 2 quart and a larger one isn't needed by me. My GE 9 quart the bowl was broken and is no longer made so parts are next to impossible to get. It has served me well for about 7 years though I didn't need the slicer on it at all.

You might want to consider getting a K'Aid 12-cups machine as well. I heard that they are very good.:applause:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually got the Cuisinart DLC-10S Pro Classic 7 cup and love it. I really don't need a larger one at this time. This machine is easy to clean, much easier than others I looked at. The problem with my last (GE ) was I couldn't find parts for it while this one parts are readily available such as extra bowls, blades etc.

Wart

Banned
I got my first real food processor at an auction Friday. Cuisinart CFP 5A, I Googled and found a review for the unit in a 1977 Time article on processors. I think this one isn't that old because of the funky interlocking plunger setup (which willnot be long for this world, I got a Dremel ... :})

(Click the Pic to view a larger version)

Looks almost unused (probably because of the plunger).

Paid $1.

:applause:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I kind of like the plunger system on mine which is pretty much standard design on all of the Cuisinart Food Processor with the large opening.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Looks like the wide-mouth feed tube was added to it later down the road.

Here is mine;:chef:

Attachments

• K'Aod Pearl Metallic Food processor..jpg
    K'Aod Pearl Metallic Food processor..jpg
    14 KB · Views: 141

smoke king

Banned
Joe, I went through this awhile back, and I think you and I chatted about beyond the thread.

I ended up with a Hamilton Beach, simply because I got it in the clearance section at Wally world. So far, I absolutely love it-it's been up to any challenges I've thrown at it. Its got a large chute (I think the model is a "big mouth") breaks down fast and cleans easily. No doubt it has limitations that the higher end models don't have, but I haven't ran into them yet.

For me, the decision came down to matching the machine and its capabilities, to my needs and my skillset. To that end, its been the best 50$ I ever spent.And when it craps out, I'll throw it away and go shopping again!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Joe, I went through this awhile back, and I think you and I chatted about beyond the thread.

I ended up with a Hamilton Beach, simply because I got it in the clearance section at Wally world. So far, I absolutely love it-it's been up to any challenges I've thrown at it. Its got a large chute (I think the model is a "big mouth") breaks down fast and cleans easily. No doubt it has limitations that the higher end models don't have, but I haven't ran into them yet.

For me, the decision came down to matching the machine and its capabilities, to my needs and my skillset. To that end, its been the best 50$ I ever spent.And when it craps out, I'll throw it away and go shopping again!

Since I first posted this I bought a Cuisinart DLC-10S Pro Classic 7 cup at 600 watts. My last machine was a GE 9 qt I got at Wally world that lasted about 5 years. Now the motor is still fine but the bowl busted hence it is un usable now as no replacement bowls can be found. I spent a little more and got the one I did as parts are available even for them made years ago like Kitchen Aid parts are pretty much interchangeable. Also the power of this thing is amazing with it actually mixing dough better than my KA in the same quantities. If I ever needed a larger one I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Cuisinart again remarkable machine.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I had a Cuisinart DLC7-Pro, which lasted for exactly 20 years. The cover cover though, became exttremely difficult to lock into position and I decided to replace the machine altogether.

That's when I bought the one that I posted in the pic above. I may never have to buy another one again for a long, long time!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
For me 20 years is probably the rest of my life, I'm 63 now so 20 more would be 83. Now at 83 I probably be either on the other side of the grass and if not eating strained baby foods. :yum:

Shermie

Site Supporter
You lived THIS long and, like you told me, nothing is wrong with you, so you'll live even longer.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes but 20 years more I don't think so, I do smoke but we all go eventually that is a simple fact. Besides I've had a hell of a run so far and if I dropped today I wouldn't have missed anything really as I've done more than 3 people would do in an average life span.

Shermie

Site Supporter

That is pretty much like mine.

It has practically been to hell and back with all of the very daunting tasks that I've given it to do, and never once did the motor overheat, nor has the thermal overload switch kicked in and stopped the machine!

I can count on it to get me out of a lot of jams with food prep that would otherwise, by hand, take hours to do. :applause:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's a pic of my very old Robot Coupe Food Processor.

Surprisingly enough, it still works. Just tried it out. I used it when I worked for a catering co's account to chop, shred ansd slice veggies for the salad bar a little over 20 years ago.

It bares a very striking resemblence to the very first small Cuisinart look-alike model because back in the very early '70's Cuisinart FP's were literally made by Robot Coupe, a co in France, until an entrapuer named Carl something-or-other had bought out Cuisinart and newer models were introduced.

Cuisinart is now owned by ConAir.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, I paired it with the K'Aid machine with their dough blades in front of them. Note the difference in size of the two.

As a matter of fact, I don't think that the Robot Coupe's one is a dough blade. It looks more like an emulsifier for salad drassing or mayonaise.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 117